• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Small framed and need to start concealed carrying.

Peachey

So up until very soon, I've always had to open carry on my hips if I was to carry any decent size pistol. Excluding a Beretta Minx that I carry in my sports bra when I jog. 

I have been asked to start concealed carrying twice a week for about 2hrs at a time while I volunteer. The biggest kicker is that I will be directly involved with a group of young children the entire time. I won't be able to properly secure a purse, and I'm afraid that anything in the waist would be too easy for a child to accidentally hug up against or heaven forbid run into and black a eye or something. I can see the headline now, "Little Billy pistol whipped by conservative volunteer over dispute during Twister final round championship". Just kidding, but does my concern make sense? Same goes for a ankle type holster as we normally take off our shoes and lounge around on mats for the "story" portion of it.

In a ideal world I'd like to stick with my 1911. I do have a M9 copy (Taurus) as well as a P-89 (Ruger) plus the Minx I mentioned earlier. The Minx is ridiculously easy to conceal, but it's a .22 short and I just don't feel very protected outside of point blank. Westgadad is onboard to possibly buy me another more compact pistol if it comes to that, and I find something I like. 

I'm left thinking about a Flashbang type of holster with a oversized shirt (he suggested a boob job and then I wouldn't need to huge shirt lol). Or some kind of shoulder holster with maybe a light flannel or something over it. 

The winter will be easy as my riding jacket is my always jacket and it's already setup for the 1911. Plus being as small as I am, I'm always cold and rarely take it off. I can easily survive 2hrs if I get slightly warm.

Any suggestions or something I'm not considering?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

or look into appendix carry type holsters, and then add a sub compact pistol you plan on defending yourself and other with. My bro carrys a Taurus (c2 millennium ) not sure which one but its a 12 rnd 9mm and is easy to shoot. I love my glock 43 @edgecrusher or my xds 9/45. Pratice alot with draw un loaded untill your ready to carry confidently. 👍

@sketch Do you mean like the belly band style? If it's the same thing, we've got one that's like a over sized ace bandage. Works ok for him, but I'm so small that the Velcro adjustment runs out before it gets tight enough to support the weight of the pistol. Plus again, I'd hate for one of my kids to run up and hug me only to get beat with a grip on accident. 

its a tuck holster so it basically hangs inside the pants with typical iwb hooks, 2 instead of one. As far as crumb crucher size your gonna be handled plenty so double up a tank and a tshirt blame a belt buckle.. There are one sling bags or backpacks... fanny pack from the 90's ? 

2 minutes ago, sketch said:

its a tuck holster so it basically hangs inside the pants with typical iwb hooks, 2 instead of one. As far as crumb crucher size your gonna be handled plenty so double up a tank and a tshirt blame a belt buckle.. There are one sling bags or backpacks... fanny pack from the 90's ? 

I gotcha now. I have seen those. I didn't think about the belt buckle excuse. I do wear guys belts and buckles just cause all the cool buckles are made for guys. Great point! 

1 minute ago, Robocop1051 said:

My wife liked my 1911, so I bought her the Sig P938 Scorpion. It is based off the old Colt Mustang model. 

She recently asked for a Glock G43... so that is happening. 

Yeah, he bought me mine so I'd quit carrying his full-size after I smacked the doorframe of the Jeep with it accidentally. His is very sentimental now, so instead of being mad, we went that very afternoon and bought mine. 

43 minutes ago, sketch said:

My wife has carried an old hammerless Colt model 1908 .32 ACP for 40 years. She has a special leather purse:

Purse King Magnum Concealed Carry Handbag

image.png.90d073e2d07436b82336febd9b4ca822.png

( not unusual for a lady  that is 5'2" and weighs less than 120 lbs.) with a concealed pocket in the back of the purse. She also has an Alien Cloak Tuck IWB Holster (Inside the Waistband) she wears with jeans and pant suits. basically it is a smaller version of the Alien IWB I use for my .40 caliber S&W.

I have a Glock 43 for conceal carry. I carry at 3 o’clock on my strong side because of muscle memory. My duty gun is there every day. My kids don’t see it but know when they hug me it’s there. No black eyes or anything, usually a brush and arm re adjust as they get that sudden reminder I’m never off duty. I use Vickers +2 magazine extensions and everything ticks in nicely in my G Code holster. Can even be done in gym shorts with a tee shirt. 

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

My wife carries a SIG 239 in a dedicated conceal carry purse. Many will speak against off body carry but to me it’s more important that she train with it and remain consistent in the carry position of the purse. 

If you train there’s no wrong way if you are proficient. There can be an argument made against it, I.e purse snatch or something similar, but as far as proficiency it’s all range time to overcome all obstacles 

11 hours ago, shooterrex said:

I carry a Diamondback DB9 in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. Looks like a billfold. 7 rounds of 9mm. A bit smaller than the S&W shield.

I also have a LCPII Ruger .380 with a red laser:

image.png.3832bbfd29d95191188758bfea9362fb.png

. . . .That  I carry in a front pocket in a pocket holster,  the holster is really inexpensive on Amazon, it does not have any loops ect, it does break up the profile so it does not show in even thin pockets. It is my backup standing or sitting down..

Edited by mrmackc

5 hours ago, Sisco said:

That right there! I bought one in 40 S&W about a year ago when Palmetto was blowing them out for around $290. I recommend you stick with 9mm in the Shield though, the 40 is pretty rough on recoil! But then, the only thing I've shot through mine id that hot azzed Border Patrol issued 155 gr. hollowpoints.