• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero Precision M5 build

Dirty Steve

New venture into to the .308 realm.  Have built one .223 from parts so far.  Took advantage of the Labor Day sale at Aero Precision.  M5 builders kit with 15 inch Mlok hanguard in FDE was purchased.  The M5E1 was out of stock by the time I was alerted to the sale.  Not sure if I will regret the standard M5 builder set over the other.  

I am in NY so it will be a compliant build. May want to take it whitetail deer hunting if weight can be somewhat limited.  Thought real hard about doing a 2A Xanthos build and carbon hand guard build but chose this set up.  

Will have to make a decision about thumb spur with functioning mag release or fix a mag permanent.  If  I choose pinning the mag, it might end up a 5 round to pass NYS DEC hunting regs.  

So I need the lower parts, trigger, barrel w/nut, bcg, charging handle, stock, scope mount, optic, mag/s, and everything I forgot or don't know about.  Also the courage, know how, advice, and patience of experience from you all.  

Edited by Dirty Steve
Spelling sucks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

If this is going to be considered for hunting I would get a 16” barrel. Keep it as light as possible. That’ll be enough to get you to any distance in the north east with ease.

Certainly something to consider.  My gut tells me to always get the longest barrel possible.  Then getting it in the field and hefting it is when the belly aching starts.

Alerted my FFL today.  Spoke with Aero Precision.  The dance of obtaining the dang parts has commenced.  

Distance will be max 400 yds. Mostly less than 200 yds in white deer hunting situations.  I have been researching barrels.  Was zeroing in on Faxon Match Series- 18" Heavy Fluted, .308 WIN, 5R, 416R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension.   2.25 lbs it say.

My .223 is a rifle length gas system with a rediculously heavy 20" stainless bull barrel.  You say Mid length 16" in  .308 is doable at 800?  The Faxon 16" barrel of the same was .22 lbs lighter. 🤔  Back to the drawing board.  I am clueless at this point and can use all the real world guidance possible.  

Since I went FDE build set- does anyone make FDE lower pin kits?  Was looking at Aero Precision's LPK w/o FCG or grip.  Did not see FDE option there.  Black pins would not look terrible.  Just wondering.  

Part of the shorter barrel in the bush isn't just a weight savings thing but the ability to move/swing the barrel around in more confined areas. My primary bear country gun is a 45-70 16" lever action and I notice it compared to 18" bolt action rifle in bush.

If your max range is 400yds, your not going to notice velocity loss with the shorter barrel.

39 minutes ago, Dirty Steve said:

You say Mid length 16" in  .308 is doable at 800?  🤔

Yep, easily.  We've done that many times out here in the desert, at 850-yard targets.  16" barrel can get that done.  It's more drop at that distance than some crazy-long barrel - but it gets out there repeatably, every time.  You can dial and just hit it.  You won't get a 150gr projectile out that far, and have MOA-ish groups in target, but you can get a 175gr or 178gr out there every single time, right where you want it (all things considered for that distance, wind, holds/dials, etc.).

You’re building a tank for no reason. There is no point in a bull barrel, other than keeping it cooler during repeated target shooting. If I were you I would get a 16” pencil barrel if I could find one (Faxon maybe, they used to have a 16” rifle gas too) and keep it as light as possible. You won’t be doing full auto, mag dumps or any other nonsense so why buy something that doesn’t fit the bill. Get a light 1-6 or 3-9 power scope and done. 

Put it this way. If I ask you for a screwdriver and you hand me an 8lb sledgehammer, I may be able to get the job done but I will be way more tired by the end.

ps. Not only have we done that but we also lose money to a board member regularly at meets for a 14.5” 5.56 with a red dot out to 450. 

50 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

That barrel right there will get it done, for your stated hunting needs.

50 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Save the weight, save your shoulders and back

Ounces = pounds, and pounds = pain.

Infantryman's Rule. 

If I was gonna deer hunt a .308AR at 400 yards max, it would have a 16" barrel.  If I was gonna deer hunt a 6.5 Grendel at 400 yards max, it would have a 12.5" barrel. 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Dirty Steve said:

So I leaped before I looked when I ordered the Aero Precision build set with a 15 inch handguard? Should have gotten at 12 inch for at 16 in barrel? The 15 inch is 4 oz more than the 12.  Does the 15 in handguard still work with 16 in barrel?

Might get a 18inch pencil barrel with mid gas so you can use that handguard.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That barrel right there will get it done, for your stated hunting needs.

Ounces = pounds, and pounds = pain.

Infantryman's Rule. 

If I was gonna deer hunt a .308AR at 400 yards max, it would have a 16" barrel.  If I was gonna deer hunt a 6.5 Grendel at 400 yards max, it would have a 12.5" barrel. 

I'd buy a Faxon pencil barrel too :-). They are addictive, few if any people can own just one :-).

Bill

3 hours ago, Dirty Steve said:

So I leaped before I looked when I ordered the Aero Precision build set with a 15 inch handguard? Should have gotten at 12 inch for at 16 in barrel? The 15 inch is 4 oz more than the 12.  Does the 15 in handguard still work with 16 in barrel?

Learning how to negotiate the Aero website is a good skill to work on ;-). If you dig around typically you will find that they sell what your considering as an assembled upper, so you can see how it will look, Personally I LIKE the 15" rail on a 16" barrel....only for a super light build would I trade rail estate for a few ounces lighter :-).

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-16-308-cmv-complete-upper-atlas-r-one

Aero measures the 15" from the front of the receiver IMHO, which to my eyeball is pretty close to the back of a chambered round, IE a 15" rail would leave 1" of a 16" barrel sticking out :-). They are also pretty good about giving you the EXACT length as they measure it if you dig around (just an example, not sure which rail you ordered). In the linked instance a 15" is actually 14.94" and a 12" is actually 12.56.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-atlas-s-one-m-lok-handguard

Here are some real world stats for you on "Bertha" (wife named all my rifles).

Aero M5E upper, 15" handguard, lower. 

Criterion 18" midweight barrel.

As pictured without magazine she comes in at 10 lbs 2 oz

IMG_2813.thumb.JPG.271e6d733063079e1f88508231df2cf3.JPG

Not too bad to carry but I do all my hunting out of tree stands so the carry is never bad

The barrel is probably one contour heavier than a pencil barrel. 

Ok I was wrong, Fulton Armory calls it a lightweight barrel.  https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined.aspx

The scope mounts are made by Nikon.  Yes you can move them around or flip them around to accomodate many different optics.  https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-p-series-2-piece-ar-scope-integral-rings-base-scope-mount-reversible-1-matte.html

I have both the 1" and 30mm versions.

Got some things ordered.  Radian Raptor charging handle.  Aero Precision buffer kit.  Geissele 308 action rod.  

Have a Faxon Match Series- 18" Heavy Fluted, .308 WIN, 5R, 416R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension "in the cart" but have not hit full send yet.   Concerned it may be a little heavy?  This rifle is build is going for accurate medium range deer hunter.  

Thinking SLR adjustable gas block.  Looking at lite BCG and as many 2A titanium parts as possible.

Does that Faxon barrel com dimpled?