• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero Precision M5 build

Dirty Steve

1 hour ago, Dirty Steve said:

Got some things ordered.  Radian Raptor charging handle.  Aero Precision buffer kit.  Geissele 308 action rod.  

Have a Faxon Match Series- 18" Heavy Fluted, .308 WIN, 5R, 416R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension "in the cart" but have not hit full send yet.   Concerned it may be a little heavy?  This rifle is build is going for accurate medium range deer hunter.  

Thinking SLR adjustable gas block.  Looking at lite BCG and as many 2A titanium parts as possible.

Does that Faxon barrel com dimpled?

Here is my build-

I don't think the faxon barrel is dimpled, or at least I didn't notice. The rifle with an a2 flash hider, no bipod, optic or mag was 7.9lbs. however after adding all that stuff and a muzzle brake it jumped up to 11lbs. I'm not too worried as this is just a bench gun (at least until PA allows large game with semi auto)

I'm currently troubleshooting a gas/buffer problem, heading to the range in an hour to test some new things.

Edited by Adamc55

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dirty Steve said:

Aero Precision buffer kit.

IF you have a problem look here first, sometimes there are adjustments needed on this kit, once adjusted they work just fine though.

Concerned it may be a little heavy?  This rifle is build is going for accurate medium range deer hunter.

I wouldn't be afraid of a good quality lightweight barrel for that use. These things get heavy fast and shorter barrel will make a more shootable hunting rifle, still plenty good ballistics for deer from a 12.5 inch barrel. I'm a fan of doing the pin and weld thing with a barrel and muzzle device that gets to 16.1 inch. Every ounce off the front end helps!

I received more parts on Friday.  Mainly the Aero Carbine buffer complete kit, SLR dimple jig, and Faxon barrel.  

No time like the present so I started putting the lower together.  Do you suggest Lok-tite on the nylon tipped set screw in the lower?  Seems like it will back out easily.  

Need to get some measurements of gas block area and order the correct SLR adjustable gas block.  Anything to watch out for or to consider while doing so? 

Need the gas block, trigger group, and BCG.  Oh, some return of cashflow to.....

Was figuring a light titanium BCG.  Good grief, they sure do not give those away. 🤨  MWS is out of their BCGs.  Said 8 months before restock.  😟

20190927_171335.jpg

20190928_075528.jpg

1 hour ago, Dirty Steve said:

Need the gas block, trigger group, and BCG.  Oh, some return of cashflow to.....

Was figuring a light titanium BCG.  Good grief, they sure do not give those away

Looks like you are still missing the handguard / barrel nut too? What were you thinking for that part? I looked back; and had ordered a 12" but was sent a 15". Not sure what the weight difference was is in the end. I've long considered cutting it off neatly... I've got some 10" rails elsewhere that leave me plenty of room for my off hand.

You went with that 18" barrel? I have one as well; if only for the legality in NY. I don't want to be caught with something that's a questionable 16" without a muzzle device. What were your plans for the business end? Grinding threads; or permanent fixture?

Weighed out my builds yesterday; and my 308 was between 10.2 and 10.4 lbs. on the bathroom scale (not sure exactly how accurate it is with light objects) including the optic. Pretty sure the scope alone is a full pound which is a bit excessive for a hunting rifle (even with nice features). I wouldn't be surprised to see yours land under 9 lbs. with a light optic. Looks like a Titanium BCG could save you a mere six ounces? 

I'll be keeping an eye on this; really nice job so far... 

No time like the present so I started putting the lower together.  Do you suggest Lok-tite on the nylon tipped set screw in the lower?  Seems like it will back out easily.  

Are you talking about the screw that adjusts how tight the upper/lower fit together? If so I've never even touched that on all 3 of my Aeros

6 hours ago, Adamc55 said:

Are you talking about the screw that adjusts how tight the upper/lower fit together? If so I've never even touched that on all 3 of my Aeros

Yes.  That nylon tipped set screw thing.  The threads are very loose on mine.  

I had bought the Aero standard M5 build set wuth 15 inch hand guard.  Here it is mocked up without the barrel nut.  

I did verify my Tapco AR wrench will work on the Aero barrel nut.  

Only thing stopping me at this point is lack of trigger, gass block, BCG, and....... oh- some money to buy all that with!🙄

20190929_070859.jpg

20190929_073233.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Planning a SLR titanium adjustable gas block.  They appear to have TWO different options.  .400  or  .450 spacing.  Which is better?  Or is the gas port the determining factor?  Guess I should get some measurements.

LaRue MBT2s on the way.

BCG.  Nothing yet.  MWS is out of lightweight .308 BCG's.  Guy there said would not have any for EIGHT MONTHS!!!   Was looking at VSeven or Cryptic Coatings Titanium BCGs.  A lot of monies.....

On 9/27/2019 at 8:42 AM, Adamc55 said:

I would double check the length of that gas tube, that ended up being the main issue with mine

Ended up getting another gas tube from Loth-AR

So, I picked up some kitchen scales.....

I have weighed all available components on hand and with stated weights of Gas block & BCG. 7.01625 pounds dry with no scope mount or optics.  Was hoping for less than 8 pounds with optics.  Will need to get creative.

7 lbs 11.1 onces with empty Pmag.   Not sure where I miscalculated the forcasted weight😯.  Only thing not on the gun is the gas tube/block roll pin.  Barrel not dimpled yet.  And other than some barrel nut grease the gun is dry.

Could have finished it this weekend but I loaned out my Geissele .308 reaction rod and Tapco AR wrench.

Getting closer. Can't wait to send some lead down range with this one.

It sure balances well!!!

20191020_144000.jpg

20191020_152817.jpg

The bare rifle is complete.  Headspaced.  Lubed.  Came in same weight as before.  Looking at scope mounts.  Like the looks and reduced weight of the Aero Precision Ultralight series.  Still can't make up mind on glass so waiting on the mount til I get the glass figured out.

Yes, this fine weapon is NY neutered.  Little Andy Cuomo should sleep Safer tonight.

Had some time yesterday and could have shot the new rifle.  Instead I deep cleaned the .223.  

20191023_061136.jpg

20191020_191525.jpg

• 1 month later...

Aero Precision Ultralight 1 inch FDE mount.  Pulled a Leupold VX3 3.5-10×40 BDC reticle from another rifle.  Took a while to get the scope square.  Never used a mount where the halves were vertical instead of horizontal.  Gonna revisit the scales again.  Weight seems light.  Will be very pleased if that weight is correct.  That is with mag locked in and empty.

Bore sighted and ready to sight in after deer season is over.  Might have to wait until after the holidays.20191209_220949.thumb.jpg.bc26dbbd2237a689ca49d5f939a9844b.jpg

20191209_220949.thumb.jpg.bc26dbbd2237a689ca49d5f939a9844b.jpg

20191129_153116.jpg

20191209_171825.jpg