• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

16" vs 18" barrel length

stalagna

Getting ready to purchase my first AR10 style rifle  I know this has been talked to death before, and I've seen the tests, studied the ballistic data, weighed the pros and cons but for the life of me I can't decide between a 16" and a 18" barrel.

I know that the difference is in many aspects minimal, but I would like to hear from anyone why to choose one over the other.  (even if the reason is you fear the number 18...)

46 minutes ago, stalagna said:

I'm not looking for a recommendation, I was looking for reasons why people chose the barrel length that they did, even if the reasons are frivolous.  (I'm well aware of the actual ballistics and weight issues as I said in my post.)

Okay.  :thumbup:   So, which one did you choose, and why?...

So you’re open to any reason, as long as it was a reason. Got it. 

getting ready to purchase one and curious why someone chose x over y....sounds an awful lot like looking for a recommendation. Someone offers up info and you come back and crap on em?  (Might as well click the ignore button now). I don’t know why I put that pat in parenthesis....(or this one for that matter). I guess I just like to see my thoughts on screen. 

I built my first 308 AR for hunting and didn't even consider barrel length, barrel profile or hand guard length/weight.  Ended up buying an 18" barreled upper and full length relatively heavy handguard.  After the weapon was finished and scope mounted on it I noticed that it was pretty heavy, and didn't feel all that well balanced. 

By chance Palmetto Armory ran a quick special on some 14.7" barreled uppers with a shorter handguard & welded flash hider so I grabbed one up an built another one.    The difference in performance at the range is equal to both weapons and I use and much prefer the shorter barrel for hunting.  At 10,000-12,000' every ounce feels like a pound when you are hiking in pretty deep on Public land to find out why the Elk stay away from the hunting pressure near access roads and such.......Cliff

I acquired a DPMS in a trade and set it up for hunting.  Very nice unit right out of the box, didn't even have to "work" the trigger or do much beyond mounting a scope and outfitting it with an A2 stock.  Below are groups from it and my PSA 14.7"........Cliff

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

On 10/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, stalagna said:

Thanks shooterrex, exactly what I was looking for, just what you bought and why. 

Seeing as this is a 308 AR forum, I figured a lot of people would have experience buying 308 AR's and could relate the story of why they bought what they did, but I guess not...

Thanks anyway.

More info on you is what's requested...  That's all.  YOU tell YOUR story.  Don't demand info from people, with no background first.  I have a 12.5", 13.5", 18.5", two 16", and a 20".  I have a spare 18" barrel hiding in the gun vault, yet to be built.  They're all different, and built for different things/reasons...

Which is back to the original question, that you didn't want any recommendation on - what are YOU using YOUR rifle for?  Mine are all different - for different reasons. What do you want to accomplish with yours?...   :popcorn:

Since you're "not looking for any recommendations," you'll get better input by stating what you're trying to accomplish with your gun/build.  This goes back to basic computing, and 1s and 0s.  Garbage in, garbage out.  YOUR input on YOUR goal will give you better responses and results.  Otherwise, you taking up the defensive, with garbage in, is just bullshiit.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 10/16/2019 at 6:15 PM, stalagna said:

I'm not looking for a recommendation, I was looking for reasons why people chose the barrel length that they did, even if the reasons are frivolous.  (I'm well aware of the actual ballistics and weight issues as I said in my post.)

WEIGHT...is the culprit if you plan on packing it around....after you get the gun you will spend a lot of money trying to reduce weight .... 16 is all you need and it balances well