• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Possible Leupold Scam

Consumer Alert

We strongly recommend against purchasing optics purporting to be Leupold products from www.wish.com, www.ioffer.com, www.aliexpress.com, and www.alibaba.com, among many others.

Leupold® is issuing a consumer alert to purchasers of Leupold riflescope products, particularly via internet sales, in regards to counterfeit Leupold products that are illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These fake products bear many of the trademarks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes, and are sometimes difficult to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products. 

Common counterfeit scopes purport to be Mark 4 riflescopes, VX-III riflescopes, Prismatic riflescopes, CQ/T riflescopes, LCO sights, and Deltapoint Pro sights. These counterfeits are regularly returned to us for service due to failures; however, counterfeit products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. We do not provide service for counterfeit products.

How to Check for Authenticity

All Leupold riflescopes are given an individual serial number. Counterfeit scopes often use a fake serial number, all identical serial numbers, or incorrect numbering convention. If you find a scope that is suspect, simply write down the serial number and call 1-800-LEUPOLD to ask if the scope is authentic. In most cases, we can confirm a scope’s authenticity by its serial number.

Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a  Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.

We encourage all consumers to protect intellectual property and combat counterfeits by reporting suspected counterfeits to www.iprcenter.gov/referral or by sending us detailed information using the Ask a Leupold Expert form and selecting “Counterfeit Issue” for the “How can we help you?” question.

Just now, Lonewolf McQuade said:

@98Z5V I didn't hear of the Eotech one. Chinese fukers will knock off anything!

There were warnings from EOTech back in 2009, on CalGuns message board, about that fake Chinese shiit-copies...  Those EOTech links from 2009 are all dead now, and you can only find the one I posted, now... 

• 5 months later...

Wish i had read this before ordering one off ebay.  It's not here yet, but after pulling the trigger on the low price (If it's to good to be true...) I looked at the picture and saw differences from the scopes on Leupold's website.  And the fact that Leupold does not ship from China; well this thread has confirmed that I just purchased a new paperweight.

If you suspect it, you can immediately contact your credit card holder. Tell them of the Leupold Consumer Scam Alert and that you want to dispute or outright return the product. Discuss it with a Supervisor. Depending on who is delivering it, you may be able to insure that you can either stop or refuse to have it delivered it-transit. The credit card companies are really sensitive to fraud issues today. Then POUND the shiite out of the feedback for the site, and explain why in the remarks for those that read them. Keep us up with what happens brother...

It is through my bank (paypal) and I don't think the banks do much when you screw up.  I will follow up through ebay, this is only the second scam I've had on ebay after years of buying.  I didn't do my due diligence.  I don't think I can start an action with ebay before it arrives and confirm with Leupold that it is counterfeit.  I really really dislike thieves, they steal much more than material goods from you...

6 hours ago, Justus Vann said:

It is through my bank (paypal)

Paypal will help you, a longer process but as long as they were deceptive about it in the description paypal will give your money back. Went through this with a phony knife once, got my money back and the seller didn't ask for the chinesium knife back.

22 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Aren't they copying Magpul back-up sights as well?  I saw some for sale when I bought mine a few days ago that were about half the going rate but I avoided them......

Yes ... I bought 2 pair last year of Amazon. Broke one during installation. 

About a year ago I was at a local gun-show and a new vendor had a big pile of Leupold scopes he was selling for less than half of what you normally see them for.  There wasn't a line forming to buy them up, and I was a little skeptical so avoided them.  I'm wondering if they were off-shore cheap copies as well?  In most cases when something looks to good to be true.........buyer beware!........

"Yes ... I bought 2 pair last year of Amazon. Broke one during installation."

That's what I suspected and glad I spent twice as much for them....... 

Edited by Cliff R

• 2 months later...

UPDATE on my purchase:  Scope just arrived after over 3 months delay.  LEUPOLD confirmed it to be a counterfeit.  I am currently going through ebays procedure of giving the seller a chance to respond; this by July 10, then on to next step.  The seller will just open another account with a different name to continue this SCAM.  I was first alerted to the scam on this forum.  The delay in shipping works to these scums advantage.  Yea, I will probably get my money back, I just wish there was a way to go after these lowlifes. 

Good update, JV - and keep them coming, as they progress.  Feedback and follow-ups are the only way to keep track of this shiit, from fake-sellers.  Good luck, man - hang in there. 

They're all foreigners, mostly Chinese - so there's not shiit that we can do to them in the long run - besides warn other smart purchasers, that look the stuff up beforehand.  What you post, matters - in the future.  :thumbup: