• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA 18 inch to 12.5 inch

jlee124

Hey y'all,

I am new to this forum.  I am looking to get into .308 with a decent entry level .308?

Currently, it is getting real difficult to find any firearms right now and ammo.  Places are selling out left and right.

However, I did see PSA has an 18 inch .308 , and I was wondering if the lower on this will be compatible with their 12.5 inch .308 upper?  I am pretty sure it would be, but wondering if there are any thoughts and or other options other than PSA?  I heard PSA had out of spec issues and sometimes customer service could be a pain.  I considered others in .308 such as CMMG , Diamondback, Aero, and Springfield.  But PSA seems to offer great prices on their rifles, kits, and equipment.  After getting more acquainted with the .308, I will probably do a build of some sort.  I just want a decent entry-level .308?

I live in Texas. Hope all are safe and Happy Father's Day to all dads out there!

We lcome from Texas.  What part of Texas are you from?  I am south of DFW a bit.

If you can assemble one, here is a build kit from CDNN (a Texas company)

https://www.cdnnsports.com/dpms-ar-308-build-kit2.html#.XuJqvmlOkzQ

You can add this barrel to it and an muzzle device and be set for a little over $500 +tax.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-heavy-barrel-762x51-16-1-10-dpms.html#.XuJrUWlOkzQ

I don't know why the barrel is listed as AR15.  It is 308 and not for their Gen2 hybrid rifle.

Thanks y’all, well,  I got 2 kids and 3 dogs so a budget is mindful and so is time. Yes sir, I heard PSA   is so-so.  Father’s Day is around the corner , and I got that bad itch for a .308.  I feel like going from 18 to 12.5 on same psa lower in 308 will work. I don’t deal with psa very much. People have said dealing with psa customer service is a marathon. Maybe, others have tinkered with the same process.  
Armedeye, in Houston on the west side , Cdnn looks interesting.  I’ll check it out bud, thanks.

I have 2 PSA's . 1 factory rifle and 1 pistol I built. The factory rifle only needed the correct length gas tube to be reliable. I also switched out the barrel to get more accuracy. The pistol I built I used Armalite's carbine recoil components. As to putting the pistol upper on a rifle lower unless you have the lower registered as a Short barreled rifle don't do it.

9 hours ago, jlee124 said:

However, I did see PSA has an 18 inch .308 , and I was wondering if the lower on this will be compatible with their 12.5 inch .308 upper? 

You would be creating an illegal SBR, if you even pinned that 12.5" upper to the lower that came on the 18" gun.  Now way around it, you'd be an instant Felon, waiting to get caught.  Once that happens, your gun and voting rights are gone. Forever. 

Bad idea.

I even made a comment once on one of the PSA online website ads, about their 12.5" barrel - asked them why they don't have the "NFA Laws Disclaimer" and offer NO notice that the barrel cannot be used in a rifle build, unless it's an SBR.   Know what? all the PSA Fan-Bois went nuts and called me a complete idiot...

Who's laughing now, PSA?  Think you might want to include that information in your online website ads?...  I TOLD you it would happen...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

Yes sir, understood.  I know about the tax and getting a form.  Probably better to do 2 separate builds or projects.  I shoot 5.56 Ruger, Saint, and a zpap70 Etc.  Got a benelli and Glock , sig, hk, etc.  Just wondering what’s a good starting point. There seems to be a lot of options.  Psa seems to be sold out all the time anyway. 

The other thing I would add is "DPMS" pattern uppers do not fit the PSA lowers. They almost fit but not quite.If you want to build another upper in a different caliber you will be stuck getting an upper from PSA. Knowing now what I didn't know then I would probably buy the Diamondback or build one using Aero receiver and upper.

I started with a psa 308ar, had to change the gas tube to make it reliable. its still running on a lite buffer and spring, and a small gas port. I use aero uppers and lowers. on their web site they have blem sales, you can buy parts very reasonably priced. welcome from Oregon!

13 hours ago, jlee124 said:

Yes sir, I hear ya.  Thinking about doing a PSA lower with Aero upper....I heard tolerances are tight with no play/wiggle....guess I’ll have to see. 

Doesn't work, at least not the one I tried.  I tried it backwards from what you're doing.  Was working on a guy's PSA complete upper, test-fire time on my Aero M5 lower.  And it wouldn't fully close to engage the takedown pin. 

I don't suggest that combo, at all.

47 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I started with a psa 308ar, had to change the gas tube to make it reliable. its still running on a lite buffer and spring, and a small gas port. I use aero uppers and lowers. on their web site they have blem sales, you can buy parts very reasonably priced. welcome from Oregon!

36 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Doesn't work, at least not the one I tried.  I tried it backwards from what you're doing.  Was working on a guy's PSA complete upper, test-fire time on my Aero M5 lower.  And it wouldn't fully close to engage the takedown pin. 

I don't suggest that combo, at all.

Roger that, yes sir.  There seems to be a lot of combo mismatches/headaches..Well, even with the panic buying and Father's Day depleting supply.  There are some options out there.  I may charge forward or wait after Father's Day when these manufacturers can come up to their normal levels.  Just wondering but anyone tried an Alex Pro?