• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New PSA P10 PROBLEMS FEEDING.

14 hours ago, Neptune47 said:

So that we all know, DC Machine makes the majority of barrels that PSA is selling in todays market. Having some of these same problems I phoned a friend and took him my barrel. They checked it and I went over some of the concerns that I have seen here. The barrel was tested, like to the micron, along with checking the gas port. 

Micron=1x10-6 meters or approx .000039 inch
I doubt it. It’s possible but doubtful.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Micron=1x10-6 meters or approx .000039 inch
I doubt it. It’s possible but doubtful.

to us mochinists that would be "four tenths of a tenth" which can be measured. GM engine heads we held a dowel hole diameter + - 12.5 microns. The old shcool guys would go "oh crap this hole is three thousance oversize"...and I would say "john those are microns, it is aluminum, and it is 105 degrees F just out of the wash process"....and I'd get a sheepish "oh yea hehe".

Bill

4 hours ago, willbird said:

to us mochinists that would be "four tenths of a tenth" which can be measured. GM engine heads we held a dowel hole diameter + - 12.5 microns. The old shcool guys would go "oh crap this hole is three thousance oversize"...and I would say "john those are microns, it is aluminum, and it is 105 degrees F just out of the wash process"....and I'd get a sheepish "oh yea hehe".

Bill

Yup I agree it could be done. I’m not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination but even if measuring the chamber dimensions probably not going that far out. What parts of a rifle would be measured that precise?

2 hours ago, Radioactive said:

What parts of a rifle would be measured that precise?

Short answer is none of the parts.  There's a tolerance on all of it, for the AR15/M16, and that's all in the TDP - Colt's "Technical Data Package."

Eugene Stoner knows what the details of that are - he made it, after he made the AR-10.  Colt bought the details - the TDP - for the M16 contract.  If there's ever a "Mil-Spec" for this large-frame AR platform, it's the original Armalite AR-10. Knight's Armament hired Eugene Stoner for a reason - design the SR-25, which a varient of said rifle turned into the military M110.  That's the "mil-spec standard" in the industry, because that's the only design the military ever used...   

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, Red Dog Leader said:

UPDATE: 

Got to reshoot the afore mentioned rounds today.

~20 of each, in 2 different mags.

rifle fed all of them flawlessly. 

I guess more ammo down the pipe is needed to be sure. If problems re develop I will fix gas port

Thanks to all for the help.

RDL...

1 hour ago, Red Dog Leader said:

Of course, had the new buffer&spring in...

Glad to hear that! Keep us posted.

10 hours ago, JMason5067 said:

If it continues to run poorly 98Z5V is the man to listen to.

Thank you, my good man - I appreciate that.  These things have been a headache for several years, as shipped.  It's taken alot of time (both ways, back and forth with owners) requesting information, studying information, comparing information - testing and fixing some myself...   It's not been an easy process, over the years.  But there IS a pattern to follow to get them running tip-top, every single time, no matter what.  The hardware is great - most of it - some of the specs on the individual parts, not so much.  That's what needs changed. 

They'll never change it, tough - so we keep helping people with them, and make them run.  

Thanks for the props - it does mean alot.  :thumbup:

• 5 months later...

Late to this thread, but I'll add my .2 cents. I got mine running and have been looking for articles to read. I had similar problems with PSA and after finding this forum 98Z5V gave me great info as as well as others in this thread.  Had I not gotten a deal on the two PA-10' that I own and was staring over,  I would go with another platform. However, the one I have in the thread below seems to run great now and I've had no issues since replacing the incorrect parts. If I had to do it over I wouldn't have bought any parts until I read the guys advice. For example I purchased an Odin Works adjustable buffer and gas block. Both are quality and haven't given me any issues, I just don't think I needed them after reading all the responses and advice here.  I would have gone with the suggestions given here for spring and buffer then re-drilled the gas port.  My build is here: 

• 1 year later...

New to the forum and a bump to this topic. Having the same issue with a rifle I bought a month or so ago. I appreciate the suggestions. I also have an underweight buffer. Ordered a new buffer/spring combo and my bcg is currently sitting in oil. If I'm lucky the new buffer will arrive before the weekend to try it out on Saturday. 

I also contacted PSA for some feedback and instead of talking they just sent me an RMA and a label. I would have preferred to talk to support instead of just sending back the rifle. Going to swap the buffer before I consider sending it back. What else would they do? Replace the buffer with an equally underweighted replacement? I understand companies trying to make cuts where they can to reduce cost but this seems like such a necessary thing to get right for it to function properly. SMH. Well I'll report back if anyone is still interested in this problem.

12 hours ago, SirDiesAlone said:

Well I'll report back if anyone is still interested in this problem.

Keep the info updated - the more people we get to fix these guns, the more proof that we have here - of what we already know is wrong with them.  :thumbup:

20 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Details man, details! Where from, what brand(s), weight, specs?

The HeavyBuffers CAR-10 Buffer - 5.5 ounces you had posted about before.

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Keep the info updated - the more people we get to fix these guns, the more proof that we have here - of what we already know is wrong with them.  :thumbup:

You got it. Doesn't seem like I'll get the buffer this weekend so it'll be the the following weekend I can get out there.

Heavy buffers sent that package out quick. Got it before the weekend. Installed it and threw in the lubed up BCG. 150rnds without a single issue. If only all life's problems were solved with lube. 

Seems pretty idiotic of PSA to sell this without the correctly weighted buffer. Considering the money they would waste RMAing rifles. 

Simple fix.  They like to use AR15 recoil parts in their PA10, been documented. They just don't care.

Glad it's sorted out now, and runs, like it's supposed to run straight from their factory, in the beginning. 

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Simple fix.  They like to use AR15 recoil parts in their PA10, been documented. They just don't care.

Glad it's sorted out now, and runs, like it's supposed to run straight from their factory, in the beginning. 

Even thought they have PA-10 etched into the buffer. Just a bad business decision right there. This definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth with this company.

13 hours ago, SirDiesAlone said:

This definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth with this company.

Always puzzled me why they would risk this outcome, seems inevitable but I guess some people do buy guns that don't shoot them. I love all they do for putting cheap guns and ammo in American hands but they need to run out the box or it don't count!

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Always puzzled me why they would risk this outcome, seems inevitable but I guess some people do buy guns that don't shoot them. I love all they do for putting cheap guns and ammo in American hands but they need to run out the box or it don't count!

$$$ drives them.  Plus, that bullshiit "Lifetime Warranty" that never pans out when the guns have issues down the road.  Some owners end up here, we fix their guns, they get happy afterall. 

I just wonder about all the people that buy that shiitbox gun, and never find this place, and never get it fixed and running.  What do THEY think?...  :popcorn:

• 3 months later...

Is this still an ongoing issue? I orderded this with $40 off plus $10 off bc it was a daily deal: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-20-rifle-length-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-str-2-stage-rifle.html

I don't mind ordering the buffer that's linked: https://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

Would it be a good choice regardless of other issues that have been described?

11 hours ago, rontron said:

Is this still an ongoing issue? I orderded this with $40 off plus $10 off bc it was a daily deal: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-20-rifle-length-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-str-2-stage-rifle.html

I don't mind ordering the buffer that's linked: https://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

Would it be a good choice regardless of other issues that have been described?

Just try it before you start changing parts. You will probably need the buffer you linked and a Springco orange spring. You may need to also drill out the gas port. Most PSA's also have a gas tube that is a bit short. The PSA rifle I bought had a rifle stock so that recoil system was good to go. I did replace the gas tube w/the proper length tube from Armalite. I also changed to a carbine stock and used Armalite's buffer tube and buffer w/Armalite's spring.

See if it works first. Lots of lube on the bolt carrier group.