• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hornady 6mm ARC General Information.

98Z5V

Anyone with any Hornady 6mm ARC questions, or information that they'd like to provide, should post it in this thread.  If it gets bigger, it might become it's own section.  For right now, let your mouth run right here on the 6 ARC...  :thumbup:

Let your hair down, girl, and just get after it...  Run with scissors...  :hail:

Cancelled my Odin Works pre-order for 22" 6mm Arc barrel and gas block.  Never answered my queries on delivery,  never updated any news.  Maybe a terrific company but let me down.. On to better news I did receive an 18" 6mm ARC barrel and will begin my build today.  Thank you for starting this thread as I'm sure of finding the best info on the entire internet right here regarding this round and rifle.

Edited by RedRiverII

• 2 weeks later...

Posting the Hornady data here. They dropped in bolt action data too, not sure if it was there before, the bolt gun data goes to 62,000 PSI.

https://www.hornady.com/support/load-data/

I would recommend saving the data because they only leave it posted there until the next manual comes out I think. 

Edited by willbird

Thinking a little on muzzle brakes. Most if not all barrels are coming 5/8-24 thread. That leaves us with mostly 308 brakes. Another option is to take a 5.56 brake and open up the bore dia. For a couple of my projects I am cutting the muzzle threads myself. 

Surefire makes a break but it technically is a 6.5mm brake.

https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/muzzle-devices/socom-muzzle-brake/?sku=SFMB-65-5/8-24

I'm really a devotee of the cheaper Surefire procomp. 

6 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Anybody in need of ammo for their (future) build, PSA has the 108g ELD version in stock as of now for $25.99.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/hornady-match-108-gr-eld-6mm-arc-ammunition-20-rounds-81608.html

@98Z5V @DayWalker @willbird @RedRiverII

Thanks Doc, good lookin out. Seems like this stuff is starting to appear now, I saw some on Brownells yesterday as well. 

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

I just got my order from PSA,  wrong ammo.  I received a hundred rounds of Fiocchi Dove Loads,  and no 6mm ARC,  no kidding,  waiting on the phone for CS right now.

I’ve been through that with them before. They’ll make it right with a bad shipment at least. Won’t fix their 308’s, but the will send you your Correct order eventually. 

7 hours ago, DNP said:

I’ve been through that with them before. They’ll make it right with a bad shipment at least. Won’t fix their 308’s, but the will send you your Correct order eventually. 

Post PSA call:  Would I like a 10% discount on the wrong ammo,  ordered 6mm ARC received 12g #8 dove loads.  UHH no.  Sent a convoluted message on how to return their package,  as if I worked for them.  I have nothing better to do than spend an hour returning their mistake.  I asked to return their 308 vise block that doesn't fit their 308 lower.  They sent me a repair req.  Go figure.  It's a 10$ item,  they are going to repair it.  This is the last time I deal with these folks.  I felt bad for the rep having to answer me the way he did,  terribly sorry for the yada yada yada.  Of course they are out of the correct ammo and never offered a future discount or any other financial apology.  I don't like dealing with money scared people,  it's just about the Benjamins and they sound broke.  It's my understanding they sell over 50% of the new 308 rifle business nationwide and you are dollar scared?  Shame on you.  Shame on me if I ever do business with them again.

Thanks @Swiftab,  on my way there. @DNP they never offered to fix the ammo deal,  just would take it back.  BTW,  I have never heard of a company allowing an ammo return.

Mine was actually bullets and not ammo, but similar. Ordered 500 175’s and got a bunch of 125’s instead. It’s been a while, but they sent me the correct bullets and a return label for the others. When one showed up, others went in the box and new label went on. Notify the carrier and they can’t to pick up later that day. I still haven’t bought anything since because it sticks with me as a pain in the arse. Sorry yours was worse than mine. 

@DNP  I still have a box of 6.5 SAUM sitting in the safe.  I've only seen those rounds used by the shooter's in Utah for LRP.  Most folks are having their challenges during this covid crap.  Extra patience is necessary.  Thanks for the kind words.  Every rifle I see using 6.5 Saum is like 4 grand,  need a rifle to go with my ammo??  I've actually entertained the thought,  thankfully only a fleeting thought.  

On point the 6mm ARC is a winner from most info I've seen.  Parts and things will become more available as time goes on.  Suggestions on available ammo needed.  Brownells is out,  P_A is out.  I want some factory stuff before I begin reloading for it.  Safety first.

16 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

Suggestions on available ammo needed.  Brownells is out,  P_A is out.  I want some factory stuff before I begin reloading for it.  Safety first.

If you have a 1:7" twist barrel, then the best factory loaded ammo you can get right now is the Hornady 6mm ARC Match ammo, with the 108gr ELD-M as the loaded projectile.  That ammo is a winner, hands down.  It's about "badass enough" that I hope my handloads can replicate it, and beat it.  If my handloads can't beat it, then I'm screwed, royally.  It's unreal ammo for 6 ARC. Right now.  This is what everything else has to compete against, and I can personally say it's some pretty badass loaded ammo. I hope I can keep up with it...   :hail:

P1080738.JPG.3f360401e3f1c1d10d821b45e7d0de50.JPG