• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6mm arc 10.5" Pencil barrel

willbird

I was looking at the ballistics by the inch chart 98 posted for 6mm arc. 

JWGzSml.png

I really like 10.5 pencil stuff and pencil barrel profile in general so a 6mm arc pencil barrel has the potential maybe to offer the highest BC and energy at range for a 10.5 pencil, maybe. It will be cool at any rate :-). Of course nobody makes a 10.5 pencil 6mm arc yet, heck maybe they never will. That leaves us with making a barrel from scratch, buy blank, extension, chambering reamer, headspace gauge. Or...hmm the Faxon 14.5 barrels use the same gas port location as the 10.5 barrels, hmmmm 🙂 🙂 🙂 . Faxon is 1:8 which there is some controversy about if that is "enough" but I am enough of a faxon Fanboi to trust them to have done their homework :-). So I grabbed a Faxon 14.5 from Brownells and a Brownells brand BCG. This is in line behind the 308 18" pencil project but I will probably go on lining up parts. 

The end result will probably end up a lot like this 5.56 setup, I really like the ALG rail of that style, they stopped making that exact model.

CUjSgS9.jpg

The idea of just using it as 14.5 comes to mind too, or 12" or some other number...we will see once we have the raw materials at hand :-).

7 hours ago, Radioactive said:

I do too. I have a couple alg hand guards. I need to figure out something to use this 8” key mod on.

C529FE35-26C2-46D7-B402-C841E1090355.jpeg

Yea those are still avail, about ready to grab a few, I'm not into keymod but but I'd settle I guess :-). The one they decided to make instead is a lot heavier, and they do not make an 8" as far as I can tell. The one I have must be a 10" tho by the look of it.

Edited by willbird

6 hours ago, willbird said:

Yea those are still avail, about ready to grab a few, I'm not into keymod but but I'd settle I guess :-). The one they decided to make instead is a lot heavier, and they do not make an 8" as far as I can tell. The one I have must be a 10" tho by the look of it.

The 8 inch I have I used on a 16” barrel with front sight base gas block. The orig barrel nut was a little less refined than current models and galled up the screw so I had to use a dremel to get it out. Cut a groove in the screw head to allow extraction. Left a blemish on the guard. Still usable but needs touch up paint to hide it. Figured that was better than drilling a larger hole in the guard and barrel nut.

I’m liking the 10.5” pencil barrel idea.

Ordered some brass, that was in stock. Dies from Optics planet, estimated 3-5 days, shell holder. I have pretty much settled on 10.5-11" In for a penny in for a pound, to 300 yards the difference between 11" and 14.5 is not huge enough to pull me away from the original concept of a short light setup :-).

Load data is here, posted it in the master thread too, recommend downloading it because it will only be there until the next Hornady manual comes out. 

Faxon barrel and Brownells BCG showed up.

Bill

Edited by willbird

12 minutes ago, willbird said:

GA Precision. It shipped.

Bill

Damn, - they also has 108 ELD-Ms listed as in stock, too, last week when I checked.  I'm sitting on 600 of the projectiles, so I'm good for right now.  Need brass, though.  Good heads-up, brother.  :thumbup:

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, willbird said:

faxon has some 12.5" 6mm arc barrels in stock so I grabbed up one. Been busy working pretty much 7 days a week. Projects have languished :-).

I'm in, too, brother - 12.5" on the way.  That's the exact same barrel construction as my 12.5" Grendel barrel from them, and I know how that one really performs.  Can't wait to get it and fire it up with my hotass handloads.  Got a good load worked up through the 18"er right now, and it's SCREAMIN'!!!  :thumbup:

Got a LaRue Grendel BCG just sitting here doing nothing, along with the badass LaRue gas block, so why the fuk not, right?...    I KNEW this was gonna happen again...   :bitchslap::laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

And trigger?:laffs:

That belongs to someone else...  I can't do it...   Still sealed, and I can't cut the band on the screw-top lid...  It's been FOUR triggers now, so that's not happening...

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.870e20fc3d052bcb357731475cb9d45c.JPG

• 3 months later...

Ok so things went around and around and here is where it ended up :-).

https://imgur.com/a/9N3zsMO [/IMG]

LGS got in some Stag uppers and lowers bare metal and offered them with Cerakote, they had a green pair setting there so I thought "why not". Really digging on the Guntec USA rails. I have one for my 6 Willbird project too. I think I like slimmer rails in general. This setup has the larue MBT trigger. Now need to make some ammo and test fire.

Bill

Edited by willbird