• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite 308 or DPMS 308?

ltxx84

Questions first, that might answer your questions...  ;D

Ultimately, is the rifle going to remain bone-stock as you buy it, or do you plan to upgrade it down the road, with additional parts?

If you already have changes planned to a box-stock rifle, what are the parts that you're thinking of changing, as of now?

What is the overall intent of the rifle?  Hunting, paper-punching, benchrest shooting, etc.?

Is there anything about either rifle on your list that makes you say, "I'd buy THAT one right now, if it only had "xxxx" part on it from the factory?

That might help us help you, if that makes sense...  <thumbsup>

I need you guys' help wether I should buy the armalite 308 (E10A4CBMF) or DPMS Oracle. Obviously they are both great rifles. I just want more for the $$$ I'm paying for. If you guys could point out the goods and the bads, I would really appreciate it.

Here are a couple of reasons ArmaLite came up with:

http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=9130d428-59ca-4e87-bd77-5eff7fee728a

DPMS playing with dimensions pisses me off. Armalite has been at it a long time. They are the originators of the 308 platform The system is refined, perfected and battle proven. If I was spending the coin Armalite would be the clear choice.

Disclaimer: My statement has nothing to do with them being an advertiser here.

I love my AR10.  The only thing that miffs me is that the gas block bore height is lower than the rail height on the receiver, so my Deuck Defense sights won't work.  I have to have the gas block changed out for an aftermarket piece.  Had I been aware of the difference I would have had it changed when I had the mods done at the armorer.  That's my bad though.  Maybe Armalite Guy can explain the reason for the lower rail height on the gas block?

Other than than, I LOVE MY AR10.  Tack driver, and I mean it.  But with all the mods I did, I would order parts from them next time and just build it. The AR10A4 factory trigger is awesome as well.  Smooth, crisp, no creep that I notice.  Awesome.

I love my AR10.  The only thing that miffs me is that the gas block bore height is lower than the rail height on the receiver, so my Deuck Defense sights won't work.  I have to have the gas block changed out for an aftermarket piece.  Had I been aware of the difference I would have had it changed when I had the mods done at the armorer.  That's my bad though.  Maybe Armalite Guy can explain the reason for the lower rail height on the gas block?

Other than than, I LOVE MY AR10.  Tack driver, and I mean it.  But with all the mods I did, I would order parts from them next time and just build it. The AR10A4 factory trigger is awesome as well.  Smooth, crisp, no creep that I notice.  Awesome.

many gas blocks have rail heights lower than that of the HG. There are sights meant for those blocks as well as riser blocks.

So you're saying I could simply at a riser to the front sight and correct the problem?  According to Armalite guy I would need a riser that would add 0.398".  Just to save time, know of any risers that height or damn close?

I think it's a little ridiculous I have to add a riser at all.  Just MHO.  One more thing to add.  It would cost more, but I'd really rather have the gas block swapped.

Why buy a riser when you could get the proper sights to go on an AR-10 gas block.

ArmaLite is not the only one that does this. But for sights you could go with GG&G or MI. I know they both make them specifically for the AR-10 gas block.

As for the OP.... along with some of the other questions that have already been asked... What location in the US is it that you live in?

The EA rifle barrel is NOT chrome lined. That is why I ask. So depending on what type of climate you have, that is something you might want to take into consideration.

• 4 weeks later...