• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero M5 Build Plan

Joshua

I've spent the past few weeks reading up everything, and this is what I have so far. This is tentative. Naturally things may be substituted as things come in stock or go on sale. This is my first rifle build, so any input is great. Purpose is primarily hunting SC game. I would like stay under 2k including optics. Thanks!

• AP Stripped Lower
  • AP Assembled Upper
  • AP Atlas S-One M-lok 12" Handguard          12" or 15"?
  • AP 16" CMV Barrel Mid-length                      16" or 18"
  • AP LPK Minus FCG/Grip
  • Bad-Ass-Pro Ambi Safety
  • LaRue MBT-2S Trigger
  • ERGO Sure Grip Gen 2 Ambi
  • Magpul CTR Carbine Stock                            I would especially like help concerning the stock,
  • AP Enhanced Carbine Buffer Kit                   gas system, and buffer kit.
  • Melonite Gas Tube Rifle
  • .750 Low Profile Gas Block
  • AP Ambi Charging Handle
  • AP BCG Nitride
  • VG6 Gamma 762
  • Magpul PMAG 20 rd

5 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

An Armalite Kit is compatible? I though AR-10 products are a no-go on dpms high pattern? 

Just now, Joshua said:

An Armalite Kit is compatible?

That part is, as a kit, it's a better system with a little heavier buffer. The high pattern you refer to would be the receiver rail height, critical when choosing a handguard but nothing to do do with the extension and buffer. There are very few hard and fast rules with this platform, mostly lots of exceptions with exceptions to those exceptions. The search function here is your friend, hours of reading to be had on what works where....and what doesn't, I've added a bit there myself :thumbup:

51 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

16” barrel and 12” handguard will cut weight where it matters most, forward of your pivot point. It will feel like you took double off

^^^   Swing weight, right there.   less weight, further forward, and it does make a difference.  16" barrel will be able to hunt anything you want with it, too, with plenty of ft/lb of energy on target.    

Thanks for all the feedback! I greatly appreciate it. I forgot to mention that I do plan on putting a sling on it. I don't think that really changes anything. Unless I misunderstood the parts already have sling mounts. Next I have to look into optics.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Joshua said:

So I go to screw the buffer tube in and the bottom of the tube does not orient properly when snugged up with the spring retainer. Is this just a simple add some spacers fix?

I assume you are referring to the pin that retains the buffer. The buffer tube does not have to be up against the pin, as long as the tube is far enough over the step in the pin to prevent launching it into orbit you are good to go…

7 hours ago, Joshua said:

So I go to screw the buffer tube in and the bottom of the tube does not orient properly when snugged up with the spring retainer. Is this just a simple add some spacers fix?

Pics of the dilemna are gonna be required.  We already know you can post pics, too.  Show what you're talking about here, and help us help you.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, Joshua said:

I got the tube pointed the right direction, and the buffer retainer is held in place. Hopefully it looks correct.

IMG_20211009_094945857.jpg

IMG_20211009_094907146_MP.jpgIs the buffer tube holding the retainer pin down or the buffer itself? The tube doesn't appear to be screwed in far enough.

IMG_20211009_094558412.jpg

6 minutes ago, jim3326 said:

Is the buffer tube holding the retainer pin down or the buffer itself? The tube doesn't appear to be screwed in far enough.

One more turn, and that receiver extension will be sticking out further than the lower receiver.  Which is not good.  It's fine like it is.