• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Buffer and tube compatability issues

Frenchy

2 hours ago, Drew Eckhardt said:

At 38-42 lb-ft, the little extra shearing castle nut staking isn't noticeable.

Very true, right there.  They break free pretty easy when you want them off.  The stakes are there to prevent it from coming loose on it's own - but they crack free without drama.   

Received my Armalite Extension tube, buffer and spring this week.  Installed it today.  The exterior length of the Armalite  tube was longer than the AR-15 tube that was used by the gun shop to add the RRA adjustable but stock.  The RRA Marksman but stock fit very good on the extension tube.  The spring was longer and much stiffer than the one from the gun shop.  I bet that thing would have kicked like a mule with the AR-15 buffer system.  Now if the range will dry up enough for me to get a target put up I will be ready to try it out.   😀😀😀

Steve

Edited by Steve crawford

Shot my rifle yesterday.  It had no felt recoil and I even got a group or two at fifty yards.  I also found out that I HATE the EOTEC for shooting paper.  After I shot a few rounds at fifty yards I did not try it at 100 yards.  I could not see the target with that sight. I am glad I ordered the Armalite buffer system.  I think it would have had a lot of kick with that 3.4 oz. buffer the gun shop used with the adjustable stock I had them install.  I have learned enough now that I will try to do my own mods from now own.  No failures with the Armsco 147 FMJ factory loads. I also need to find a very slim amplified hearing muffs because mine interfere with the buttstock when I try to line up with the sight.  I have hearing aids because I did not use hearing protectors when I was younger.  Can't take more damage to my ears.  Now I just need to load some ammo and go shooting again.   😊😊😊

Steve 

That’s great to hear. Always like it when something works out. I have to use foam plugs when shooting the rifles. My fat head and ear muffs never work out right. I’m sure there’s a more proper technique I should be applying, but I just switch up to plugs when running the rifles. 

Plugs won't work for me.  If I used plugs I could not hear any range commands at all.  I am def without my hearing aids. They work well with electronic muffs.  I can hear better with the muffs on than I can with just the aids.  Funny how that works.  The report of the rifles are not loud at all with the combo.    🥴🥴🥴

Steve

26 minutes ago, DNP said:

I’ve been thinking of trying some of those walker ear buds. Haven’t convinced myself to buy a set yet though

@JBMatt recently got a set of those, and they're very good.  I'll be picking a pair up, just based on his recommendation. 

He still wouldn't let me stick them in my own ears, though...   :lmao:

When they start running low on power, some electronic chick-voice comes through and tells you that it's time to recharge - that freaked him out a little bit...   We picked up on it when he was shooting - then he starts looking around, trying to figure out who this chick it that's whispering to him in his ear...   :laffs:

We didn't know why he was acting weird, whilst slinging lead - until he told us what happened... 

Edited by 98Z5V

https://forum.308ar.com/topic/20936-walker’s-electronic-ear-muffs/

Thread from a while back.

I picked up a set of Surefire EP7 and been pretty happy with them. Able to have conversation in loud environments( tried them at work). I would liken that wearing them is like watching a war movie on TV, even though the gun fire is louder it's still within a comfortable range but conversation still possible. They wouldn't be my go to at the Knob Creek Shoot but for shooting in the bush or hunting definitely 

On 6/6/2021 at 10:01 PM, 98Z5V said:

@JBMatt recently got a set of those, and they're very good.  I'll be picking a pair up, just based on his recommendation. 

He still wouldn't let me stick them in my own ears, though...   :lmao:

When they start running low on power, some electronic chick-voice comes through and tells you that it's time to recharge - that freaked him out a little bit...   We picked up on it when he was shooting - then he starts looking around, trying to figure out who this chick it that's whispering to him in his ear...   :laffs:

We didn't know why he was acting weird, whilst slinging lead - until he told us what happened... 

I would have never even considered them before based on their price alone.  However, I received them as a gift, and now having used them I realize I should have bought them years ago.  I've tried everything in my career, and those damn things are awesome.  If these ever break or get damaged, I'll buy another set without hesitation.

1 hour ago, DNP said:

Well, I guess that settles it. Which set do you have @JBMatt?

Walker's SILENCER Electronic Ear Buds.  Comes with a hard plastic case that recharges them when you put them in it.  They have blue tooth and a bunch of fancy poop that I'll probably never use, but damn they work good.  At least for me.