• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Texas suppressors

Madhouse

House Bill 957 by Representative Tom Oliverson has been sent to the Governor for his signature.

Sec. 2.052.  NOT SUBJECT TO FEDERAL REGULATION. (a)  A
  firearm suppressor that is manufactured in this state and remains
  in this state is not subject to federal law or federal regulation,
  including registration, under the authority of the United States

Congress to regulate interstate commerce.

Basically it says any suppressor made in Texas using strictly materials sourced in Texas is not subject to the NFA limitations/registration.  It has to be stamped "Made in Texas".

Edit:  After re-reading the text, it looks like all this does is allow state agencies to not have to enforce the federal laws.  It seems it would still be in violation of federal law if you didn't register one.

Hmm......

On 5/29/2021 at 2:20 PM, Madhouse said:

Basically it says any suppressor made in Texas using strictly materials sourced in Texas is not subject to the NFA limitations/registration.  It has to be stamped "Made in Texas".

Edit:  After re-reading the text, it looks like all this does is allow state agencies to not have to enforce the federal laws.  It seems it would still be in violation of federal law if you didn't register one.

Hmm......

Sounds great to Me. 

I don't think I have ever seen a Federal Law official (ATF, FBI) any where I have been shooting, in Texas, even at commercial ranges . Have you?

Most of the Federal laws are legal because of the Federals enforcing the "Interstate Commerce clause" of the Federal Government. Which has gotten quite out landish  and out of hand, IMHO

I wonder if the Texas folks are using this "rejection of Federal gun laws"  to lure all of the ATF cops away from the gun shows out into the wilds?

I bet some enterprising person/persons are making plans to go into the MADE IN TEXAS gunshot noise reduction devices already. Anyone want to partner up for a go at being ones of the first?  It could be called TexGSNRD INC. or LLD. Their motto could be   " What happens in TEXAS ,stays in Texas!"

Don't you think a Grizzly G9729 - 31" 3/4 HP Combo Lathe/Mill would be a good start? I am not a machinist but many here are.

Any of you members have to buy Solvent filters and traps to catch all of that dangerous Hoppes #9 that runs down offen and out of your Rifle barrels. What do you do with all of that liquid poison that the filter catches, maybe re-cycle it to use to fuel your lawn mower or snow blower ? I am asking for a friend that has a bunch in an old 5 gallon plastic gas can.

Edited by mrmackc

Yeah I thought it was neat when I read about that piece of legislation.  I hope it is but the first of many steps taken to un-infringe the 2nd Amendment and return the authority back where it belongs.  (hint: 10th Amendment)

Reading about it the other day did make me wonder briefly who manufactures quality suppressors in Texas.  Maybe if this and a few other necessary steps happen, the artificial scarcity factor will go away (at least in Texas) and they will become more affordable.

Personally I'd like to see a real 2nd Amendment protection act in Texas.  One that says something to the effect of, any law that contradicts the clear text of the 2nd Amendment is hereby declared to be null and void, and any person or agency which acts or conspires to deprive, bureaucratize, or infringe upon the 2nd Amendment rights of legal Texas citizens shall be  held personally liable and subject to (very serious fines, imprisonment, or other very serious penalties as appropriate). 

Hey while I'm dreaming I might as well dream big. 🙂

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Yep, Kansas hung that guy out to dry. All a bunch a feelgood crap if the state won't back it up, we shall see where Texas falls.

I agree.  I'm not the guy to test the resolve of the Texas legislature.  There are too many liberals in Austin and, like you, I don't trust politicians regardless of party.

There's a similar law that's been on the books in AZ for several years now.  About 2 years ago, I did a 2-week deep-dive research into it, and it didn't cover suppressors.  It was hard to find that info, but I finally found it.   It covered everything except items that are regulated by the NFA 1934.  It's solid law, and in the books, done.  Just can't make your own NFA weapons from AZ-sourced parts and materials.  That part doesn't fly, but everything else is good to go. 

I wish it was different. 

Most of the Federal anti/gun laws are legal because of the Federals enforcing the "Interstate Commerce clause"  Which has gotten quite out landish  and out of hand, IMHO

I wonder if the Texas folks are using this "rejection of Federal gun laws"  to lure all of the ATF  and FBI cops away from the gun shows out into the wilds where the Red Neck gunslingers, summer heat, stickers, bugs,snakes, alligators, cacti, and mesquite thorns will make them want to go back to Biden/Harris/Schumer  land and  their Blue State homes?

Who ever knows what these devious, evil Texians will think of next?

Edited by mrmackc

Yep, all good points.  Just because a law is on the books doesn't mean it will get enforced.  Sometimes laws only get enforced selectively, too.  Seeing an awful lot of that around here lately in the greater DFW metro area.  In a word, "lawlessness".

There was a part of US vs. Miller I had not been aware of until I read a book many years ago called Unintended Consequences.  It was a novel but had a lot of historical facts in it.

The entire NFA act had already been shot down by a lower court, but nobody ever told the defendant (ie, Miller) the govt was appealing the lower court decision where he was exonerated up to the Supreme Court.  He was poor so had he even known, he probably wouldn't have been able to afford the legal representation and other expenses to be there anyway.  So nobody was there to argue for the defendant's (and thus, the people's) side of the case before the Supreme Court.  And the argument they used to overturn the lower court ruling was the most ridiculous bullshizzle that any amateur attorney would have been able to shoot it down.

They actually still believed back then that the 2nd Amendment was intended (as clearly expressed over and over again by the founding fathers) to guarantee the rights of ordinary US citizens to keep and bear arms that have use/value for military service.  ie, that ordinary citizens have a 2nd amendment guaranteed right to own military weapons.  Because, after all, the founding fathers having all come from Europe knew that standing armies were the bane of liberty and created this country such that We The People ARE the military. 

The govt attorneys basically argued that the Fed govt had the authority for NFA based on (drum roll...) interstate commerce, and that no shotgun of that make, model, serial number and specific length of barrel Miller had cut his down to had ever been issued to our armed forces.  And they went for it.  And that is how defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory.

So yea, the same bullshizzle has been going on for a long, long time.

NFA should have been shat upon almost 90 years ago.  Now look what we have....

No illusions about Texas, either.

Quite a book, by the way.  Author John Ross (RIP).

Edited by Tack14

• 2 weeks later...

Done deal.  It's over. 

"ANY firearm suppressor MADE in Texas and STAYS in Texas, will NOT BE SUBJECT to Federal Law, or Federal Regulations."

Go smack 9:35 in this vid that I linked in this thread...

Congrats, Tejas...  :hail:  I hope the AZ Gov Ducey quickly follows suit - because he cannot think on his own, and lead on his own - he's a Follower...

I hope he follows this, on his way out of office...

Texas has done WELL, and you certainly do have a BADASS GOVERNOR.  :thumbup:

• 7 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 9:41 PM, 98Z5V said:

Done deal.  It's over. 

"ANY firearm suppressor MADE in Texas and STAYS in Texas, will NOT BE SUBJECT to Federal Law, or Federal Regulations."

Go smack 9:35 in this vid that I linked in this thread...

Congrats, Tejas...  :hail:  I hope the AZ Gov Ducey quickly follows suit - because he cannot think on his own, and lead on his own - he's a Follower...

I hope he follows this, on his way out of office...

Texas has done WELL, and you certainly do have a BADASS GOVERNOR.  :thumbup:

Idaho as well as a few other states has had that law well over 5 or 6 years the thing is who wants to be first to take on the government?

On 1/24/2022 at 6:39 AM, Magwa said:

Idaho as well as a few other states has had that law well over 5 or 6 years the thing is who wants to be first to take on the government?

We were close to that in AZ, and it just didn't go through.  That was around 2014 or something.  Had it passed here, I'd have 37 of these things by now.  I'd take on the .gov on it.  :thumbup:

I 100% believe you I just do not have the money to pay the lawyers now if I had a good attorney who just wanted a good fight then I would be on it , I think it is a great law but then the cans have to stay in the state they were made so no traveling like to the SDTF. :)