• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Remington ammo concern

Sisco

This was reposted on the Wisconsin Outdoor News Facebook page. I do not know the originator. Always inspect your ammo. Even new.

I posted this on my hog hunters group. Seemed it caught a lot of attention. 

For all of you out buying ammo? The two pictures are a recent purchase at a walmart. After purchasing the ammo it was noticed that the neck was cracked on one of the shell casings.  So every round was inspected and 13 out of 60 of the shells had cracked necks. This isnt walmarts fault. This is the fault of the new manufacturer of remington ammo since post bankruptcy purchase. Vista outdoors purchased Remington ammunition post bankruptcy and seems to have no quailty control. Please check your ammo before purchasing. A cracked shell casing will cause the firearm to exploded and cause severe injury..even death. Just wanted to pass along this info. A lot of first time gun buyers out there and dont know what a danger this is! Please inspect your ammo!

1AFF745F-BB2B-4B93-81FE-138BC02B6CE8.jpeg

CAEFCEA1-14AF-4D62-8A13-2FC7248B1EBC.jpeg

10 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I got a box from HSM years back that had a bunch of split necks that looked like that.

I had some HSM loaded .308 Win ammo many years ago, early 2010's-ish - that shiit was so hot, that I stopped using it, and trashed the rest of it.  Wouldn't even shoot it through a bolt gun, just dumped it in the trash. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:21 AM, Belt Fed said:

The bigger question would be WHY would wal mart take ammo back and put it back on the shelf?  That's a no no in my book, bout as bad if they took prescription drugs back and resold them

Never ever heard of returning ammo or seen anyone take it back.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:27 AM, Sisco said:

Please check your ammo before purchasing. A cracked shell casing will cause the firearm to exploded and cause severe injury..even death.

Not true! The brass case seals the chamber while the pressure is up but does not contain the pressure. The chamber of the barrel and the bolt do that.

• 4 weeks later...

Just discovered an old case of HSM 308 150 grain orange box with most/many split necks on the unfired ammo.

I fired 16 rounds of it to break in the barrel of a RRA LAR8 some 12 or 13 years ago then foolishly got too busy with new responsibilities on the job.

Just now I am getting back to that rifle with 16 rounds down the tube and wanted to sight in a scope for long range shooting.

I am retired and joining a range that goes out to 1,100 yards 🤪.

It is a pretty good brand so I am quite surprised. Looking at the fired brass, still have 15 of them, some of them are cracked too but much shorter cracks that look like scratches until I stick a screwdriver in them and gave it a little pressure.

Bob

8 in one box.JPG

right 4.JPG

left 4.JPG

On 6/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, far_shot said:

<<A cracked shell casing will cause the firearm to exploded >>
I call bull crap on  that. It will cause accuracy issues with neck tension and a smudged case......../

In a 308AR the bullet can be crammed down into the case causing serious overpressure.

My ammo is unsafe.

5 hours ago, Bob2650 said:

In a 308AR the bullet can be crammed down into the case causing serious overpressure.

My ammo is unsafe.

HSM has had a lot of issues over the years. Some reported on this forum. I have had no trouble with it in the past, but have quit buying it.

Well, I am sitting on 484 of those beauties. I sent a question to HSM today before posting here, as a matter of fact searching for similar problems is how I found this forum.

I was counting on those for long range set up and practice enough to get my feet wet in the new to me event. The only other M80 like ammo I have now is a thousand or so 1972 Indian. At least that was back when the British ran the factory. Not looking forward to buying reloading components in this market. Mostly I need SMK bullets. Have plenty varget and primers.

55 minutes ago, Bob2650 said:

1972 Indian

I have some 71, that black crap they sealed the bullets with is pure evil, flakes and gets everywhere then gums up nasty when it warms up and gets a dose of carbon. Helped a little with that and accuracy to bump the bullet back just enough to break the seal, gets the crap on your reloading equipment but that cleans up a little easier.

1 hour ago, Bob2650 said:

Well, I am sitting on 484 of those beauties. I sent a question to HSM today before posting here, as a matter of fact searching for similar problems is how I found this forum.

I was counting on those for long range set up and practice enough to get my feet wet in the new to me event. The only other M80 like ammo I have now is a thousand or so 1972 Indian. At least that was back when the British ran the factory. Not looking forward to buying reloading components in this market. Mostly I need SMK bullets. Have plenty varget and primers.

Google 1972 Indian, with the headstamp info.  I think it is Okay. I reloaded my Indian brass once and it is fine. Was that HSM their M118LR imitation?

Edited by Sisco

The HSM is 150 grain FMJBT. More like plain ball imatation than anything worthy of long range. I remember it shooting about 1.5 minutes during barrel break-in.

The Indian is OK. nothing special. It is also plain ball. Shot a few hundred rounds out of the cetme I used to have. No failures. Not accurate to my standards but that was a typical century cetme. After Sandy Hook I dumped it for triple what I paid for it. Sold several losers after Sandy Hook. The Indian ammo will do for now. I will probably seat them a few thou deeper to knock off the black tar. It is tempting to pull the ammo down and reload with varget. But that is probably a lot of OCD for little gain with the military projectiles.

That was easy... HSM has great customer service.

I called HSM and spoke to some cute sounding gal and once I gave her the lot number they said they will send out a new case.

They are out of the brass that they use for the 175 grain match so I will get a case of 150 grain imitation M-80 ball which will be fine for my use.

In the mean time, I realized that Indian M-80 comes in a 50 cal size can so I opened up the can I had ready to go to the range this weekend and discovered 180 rounds of LC-02 M-80 ball with strippers, cardboards, bandoleers and spoons (that does not fit my RRA LAR8 mags) So that Indian is still hiding somewhere.

All is well at Bob's house!