• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AMMO RECALL!!! X 3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into some crappy 22 ammo from Remington yesterday....Thunderbolt 22.  

I was sighting in my 10/22 after upgrading the scope.  Talk about chitty ammo.  I started out with some CCI and once I got things dialed in shot a nice 1" group at 50 yards.  Started running low on the CCI and had brought along some Remington Thunderbolt.  Talk about crap.  Every other round or so had a noticeable difference in "report" like the powder charge was down some.  A couple didn't have enough ass to eject the shell and effectively chamber another and jammed it up.  One jam was so bad I had to pry the dinged round back with a screwdriver to clear the weapon.

The groups at 50 yards were chit, lots of flyers and groups were out to about 4-5" instead of nesting nicely in a 1" circle like the CCI ammo.

I switched back to the CCI and everything was fine.  I guess Remington either doesn't know or doesn't care about that crap because it's just 22 rimfire and unlikely one would stick a round in the barrel or blow your gun up with it.......FWIW......Cliff

Am really starting to think "give little guys a chance" as somebody somewhere said recently.   Seeing how the big guys are still higher for most part than others on price per round, could be a good opportunity to help more populist-minded companies not willing to tie up their production capacity selling gummint contracts which of course we all understand especially after the 0-bama administration and Sandy Hoax is to kill the civilian ammo supply.

I would just be happy to find some small pistol and small pistol magnum primers...  am set pretty well with primers except these.

I did some 22 ammo testing a few years ago in my bolt action.  It's a really old Sears and Roebuck  (Marlin) and absolutely the most consistently accurate 22 rifle I've ever shot.

It was a MESS way back in the 1970's when I acquired it, but cleaned up nicely and turned out to be quite a shooter. 

A few years ago just for fun I tested a bunch of different 22 LR ammo. 

Some of the details escape me but I shot Remington bulk pack stuff, Federal, CCI and Winchester.

ALL the bulk pack stuff was dirty and not all that great.  I did all the shooting at 50 yards from a good bench rest.

The overall winner for accuracy was Winchester Western Super X.  With that said it came from bricks I bought at least 30 years ago.  CCI was right there with it.  Both were just standard 22 round nose, not hollow points.  I managed several dime sized groups from the WW and the CCI was hanging right there with it but just a tad larger groups.

Some of that bulk pack chit was out to almost 2" with a few fliers in most groups making them even bigger.  This particular rifle is so accurate you can shoot a hole in a piece of paper at 25 yards then shoot at the hole and after half a dozen shots you can't tell how many rounds you've fired.

My 10/22 is decent, but no where near as accurate or consistent as the old Marlin bolt action rifle.  I have managed a few groups hovering around 1" at 50 yards but it's not consistent and almost always a 10 shot group will have several fliers in it.  Although not as accurate I've moved to the 10/22 for groundhog hunting and have killed several in excess of 200 yards.  My hit ratio to 100 yards is pretty close to 100 percent.  It falls off so fast after 100 yards I'm half that at 150 and maybe one in 5 or 6 out at 200 yards and that's on a calm day where I don't have to worry about windage, just elevation.......

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

13 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Thunderbolts are notorious for misfires. I'm taking 10-22s to the Wis shoot for fun. I'm weak in ammo except for.22 lr. this time.

Take CCI Standard Velocity or CCI Mini-Mags.  10/22s love those.  What alot of people don't know - that's the same-power load from CCI.  The Mini-Mags are copper plated, and the Standard Velocity is bare lead - same load, same exact performance.  We pushed that all the time for Appleseed shoots, and autoloaders.  Use one of those two, and you'll never have a problem.

ThunderTurds and GoldenBullets (GoldenSHIIT) suck through an autoloader, and especially the 10/22 platform. Seems like a Remington problem - even though it's not their problem anymore...   :lmao:

What?   Too soon?...   :laffs:

1 hour ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I want to get a good accurate 22 bolt action rifle. Any suggestions on who makes a decent one now a days? 

2 suggestions for you, shot both to hell and back, own one.

Ruger Precision Rifle in .22LR - that thing is NO JOKE.  That's a serious .22, without losing your ass - or BeltFeds...

Savage FV-SR.  16" fluted heavy barrel, threaded, mag fed, and the Savage Accu-Trigger, that you can set yourself.  The only thing the gun needs is a Boyd's Tacticool stock, and some DPI bottom metal for that stock.  One HELL of a combination, and accurate like you won't believe.  This is the one that I own, and it's a little badass... 

FV-SRpaintdone.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Take CCI Standard Velocity or CCI Mini-Mags.  10/22s love those.  What alot of people don't know - that's the same-power load from CCI.  The Mini-Mags are copper plated, and the Standard Velocity is bare lead - same load, same exact performance.  We pushed that all the time for Appleseed shoots, and autoloaders.  Use one of those two, and you'll never have a problem.

ThunderTurds and GoldenBullets (GoldenSHIIT) suck through an autoloader, and especially the 10/22 platform. Seems like a Remington problem - even though it's not their problem anymore...   :lmao:

What?   Too soon?...   :laffs:

I'm a fan of CCI 🍻

27 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

2 suggestions for you, shot both to hell and back, own one.

Ruger Precision Rifle in .22LR - that thing is NO JOKE.  That's a serious .22, without losing your ass - or BeltFeds...

Savage FV-SR.  16" fluted heavy barrel, threaded, mag fed, and the Savage Accu-Trigger, that you can set yourself.  The only thing the gun needs is a Boyd's Tacticool stock, and some DPI bottom metal for that stock.  One HELL of a combination, and accurate like you won't believe.  This is the one that I own, and it's a little badass... 

FV-SRpaintdone.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions . That's a good looking rifle there! 👍

36 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Awesome suggestion, i can live with that one. i don't have enough money in there to buy that one so he can't get it.

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

So you DO have enough available credit for the Ruger Precision rim fire? I like the fact it takes the 10/22 mags which I already have....

If you already have 10/22 mags, then just buy a complete rifle - the TacSol X-Ring.  I have one of those, and it's a nasty little bastard, too.  This is the one that I have, topped with a Nikon .22LR BDC scope, 3-9...   Awesome combination.

Back in the day, though, this little bastard didn't retail for $985.  I think I pulled mine for $510, way back when...  Belt's in trouble...   :laffs:

903309388_TacSol10-22ODGreen.thumb.png.b93b9669eaa767e82628cb47e4b22027.png