• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Smith and Wesson 22 Compact

Cliff R

Was finally able to get one, bypassed the new Taurus 22 waiting on the M & P.  I know the Taurus gets raving reviews but I've had ZERO luck with their pistols to date, plus the 22 is full size and I wanted something a little smaller.

The Smith M & P 22 turned out to be a good choice.  Very accurate for this type of pistol, and so far 100 percent dead solid reliable aside from two ammo related issues (not enough powder charge and one "dud").

I've ran about 600 rounds thru it so far, all cheaper ammo, bulk pack Remington, Federal, and some imported stuff.  All three issues came from the same box of Remington Thunderbolt 22 which I consider pretty "spotty" as I also have  had trouble with it in my 10-22 with inconsistent power charges leading to jams or failing to eject/feed the next round.

Anyhow, I'm looking to upgrade the magazines for higher capacity or buy new ones that hold more than 10 rounds.

I did a little searching on Google and didn't come up with much where you don't loose the lock back the slide on the last round deal.  What's out there and how to they work?  

The only negatives with the M & P 22 so far are a "gritty" trigger, which is getting better with every outing and soaking the mechanism good with gun oil (home brew).  It's also got a little more take-up for the next round than I like, but getting used to it.  After a little practice I'm hitting 100 percent on our steel targets at 25-30' at the range, and 3 for 3 on raccoons the Min-Pins treed late at night out at the chicken coup,  but rapid fire is a little weird with this trigger and striker fired set-up.

In these times it's certainly a LOT less expensive to shoot than my 45's and 9mm's as I've been able to pick up bricks of 500 rounds for about $40 on a regular basis.  Thanks in advance for any advice on high capacity mags and maybe getting this trigger to be a bit more user friendly.......Cliff

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

Some loose the function and others don't.  I didn't do much research but did find followers that increase capacity to 12 rounds and keep the hold open function.  It appears anything greater than that and you loose it.

You'd think someone would be making a high capacity mag for these pistols.  The darned thing is only half full with 10 rounds in it.  It would seem one could nearly double that number without much effort with a grip extension.......

3 hours ago, Cliff R said:

You'd think someone would be making a high capacity mag for these pistols.

Depends what high capacity is. Nick has the best options I could find.

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/sw-mp-22lr-s/137.htm

I have over 500 rounds from this one between myself and family with no issues, I need to get another liked I planned if it worked, Thanks for the reminder. :thumbup:

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/sw-mp22c-16rd-mag-kit-p/200-16rd-0mpc.htm

Edited by jtallen83

That's what I was looking for tks.  I can deal with the slide not locking back after the last round if I can get 16 + 1. 

Some say the little 22 lacks stopping power right to start with, so MORE is always better with this sort of thing........ 

Ive Had this s/m compact for 4 years.  I put about 2k rounds through it about 1500 supressed and the damn thing wont fire.. I need to open it up and see what went wrong? my guess is part of the trigger broke or something in that area. It was  really fun before that. 🍻🍻

12 minutes ago, sketch said:

about 1500 supressed

I have some concerns with hanging a heavy suppressor on that lightweight gun. I have run it some with the tirant but I hate the cleaning so not much, no issues though, great shooting little pistol, the youngsters love it.

Call Smith & Wesson's warranty department, they have excellent customer service..

I had issues with a 45 Shield couple of years ago.  They emailed a shipping label to me in minutes and UPS picked it up the next day.  It was gone a couple of weeks, and came back completely rebuilt with a full page listing of the parts replaced and explanation of the issues found, etc......

I didn't buy the Taurus mostly because of the size and my track history with Taurus has NOT been good at all.  I'm not going to be specific there, as I'm sure they have some good weapons in the line-up, but I'm zero for three so will tread softly if I go that direction again.

Anyhow, just sitting here enjoying a lemon bar desert Deb came up with and glad to get out of the heat, it was pretty brutal here today.

I logged another 400 rounds thru the M & P over the weekend.  I ran more Remington, CCI and some Mexican stuff, all flawless.  Still haven't cleaned it or even wiped it off and it's had zero malfunctions other than three ammo related from one box of Remington Thunderbolt that I mentioned earlier.  I'm going to continue to fire it until it malfunctions, then strip it down for a thorough cleaning.  Hoping to make it to 1000 rounds without issues.  I never got around to ordering any magazine upgrades, still firing the factory 10 round mags.  I'll get back on that later this week and report back on how well they work....... 

IMG_3020.jpg

The lemon bar was pretty good too.  The coffee mug was a constant reminder for me when I was running two businesses and had a chit ton of employees.

We closed one of the businesses right before the COVID pandemic and I retired the other business back in April, at least most of it.  No employees these days so the only idiot I can blame now when things get all flucked up in myself!.......

19 hours ago, Cliff R said:

The lemon bar was pretty good too.  The coffee mug was a constant reminder for me when I was running two businesses and had a chit ton of employees.

We closed one of the businesses right before the COVID pandemic and I retired the other business back in April, at least most of it.  No employees these days so the only idiot I can blame now when things get all flucked up in myself!.......

You close down the carb building business? 

Not completely. 

I'm full time selling parts and custom rebuild kits.  That is keeping me so busy I really don't have time for anything else.

I stopped doing restoration work almost 3 years ago in December when my last employee moved on.  I'm still doing a few rebuilds to fund my expensive hobbies like building AR's and buying handguns, shooting, hunting out West, etc.

I also open up a couple of Saturdays a month for troubled combinations folks just can't figure out.  The record to date is 1800 miles one way.  Most vehicles are trailered or driven for about 200 miles or less, but I've had a few come from great distances.  Of course the owner, tuner, engine builder, all their beer drinking buddies, wife's boyfriend and local "guru's" have already had a shot at it.   So they do NOT mind bringing it that far or grumble much when I unload their wallet.  There are actually grinning from ear to ear after we are finished and they took their first test ride!

I'm just winding things down and starting to enjoy life a little more while I'm still above ground, something I've been planning for a long time and putting things in place to make it a reality........

003.JPG

accl pumps 050.jpg

super duty (4).JPG

Update on the magazines. 

I looked over all the options and decided to upgrade the followers to add two rounds for 12 plus 1.

I may get a few more mags at some point and upgrade to 15 plus one, but don't like loosing the feature to hold the slide back after the last round is fired......

IMG_3050.jpg