• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ole La. redneck with upper/bolt carrier problem

PPCDAVE

Hello my friends!  I’ve gotten kind of obsessed with building 80% lowers and just finished my first 308.  Finally got past the lack of knowledge concerning buffer assembly required and a problem with an “enhanced” bolt stop, And thought the weapon ready to fire. It is fitted  with a side charging upper purchased from one of the well known/often disparaged manufacturers.  Well, while inspecting the upper I noticed it had what seems to me an excessive amount of clearance between the bolt carrier and the upper receiver.  With the bolt locked in battery I can move the rear of the carrier 1/4” up and down !  My other AR uppers all have wiggle room, but NOTHING like this!  I’ve emailed the vendor but haven’t heard back from them yet.  Of course the carrier is contained by the buffer tube when cycling, but…

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/thoughts on this issue? Is it safe to fire?

thanks for any information!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a reply from BCA today; they said a “small” amount of play in Thr bcg wasn’t unusual in the side chargers because they’re made differently.  Seems to me that 1/4” is not a “small” amount, but we will see when I fire it.  More will/may be revealed.