• Visit Sportsmans Guide

MIL/LEO Members

imschur

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am an LEO from TX, been working in the field for over 14 years and couldnt see myself doing anything else.  Currently a patrol supervisor and SWAT team member.  I do all the maintenance and service for the dept issued firearms including our AR rifles.  Also firearms and tactics instruction for the dept and other agencies.

Found this forum through a google search for 308 ar parts for an upcoming build.  This forum has been very informative and really given me some great (pricey) ideas.  Now all I need to do is convince the wife unit that I need to pull the trigger and add another firearm to my extensive collection.

Joined the U.S. Navy at 17 when Mom signed, went through Airman apprenticeship training, and was assigned to the USS John F. Kennedy CV-67.  V-2 "Primary Mission Division", catapults and arresting gear, main work center was the waist catapults.

It was a dirty, filthy, loud job, with at-sea work shifts averaging 30 hours and a 2 to 4 hour nap between shifts often times.

After working multiple jobs after the Navy (did you know airports don't have steam catapults?), worked four years in AZ Dept. of Corrections as a CO.  With twenty one years to go until retirement, I decided to find another career.

What did you folks do?

Jon

Hahahaaaaa!!!  <lmao>  Rangers could break an anvil in a sandpit...  <thumbsup>

You can give a Ranger two steel balls, lock him in a bare room with no windows and one door, to which you have the only key, then tell him that you'll want those balls back in the morning. When you unlock the door and ask him for the balls, he will have lost one and broken the other.

New to the board here. I'm a retired Lieutenant with the Deming, NM Police Dept. 22 years of service and now taking it easy and collecting those monthly checks. I have a DPMS LR-308B on the way and looking forward to shooting it! I've already gotten a lot of good info from posts here on the board. Great forum!

A retired Lieutenant with a .308? :o

Be careful LT, that thing kicks a little more than your old stapler.  <lmao>

Glad to have you here. Also, glad to see that you are taking advantage of life after career. I hope we can help you burn through that monthly check with all kinds of fancy new toys.

I checked my pics, but apparently I deleted them all because I couldn't find any! At one time I had 3 of those engines, but sold the last one (which was in my 70 Cuda) about a year ago to a friend of mine who put it in an early 30's Dodge sedan hotrod. My Cuda now has a Gen. III 5.7 Hemi in it. I have a 354 Hemi in my storage unit that my son rebuilt to put in a Studebaker pickup he has. Those 1st. generation hemis are great engines!

A retired Lieutenant with a .308? :o

Be careful LT, that thing kicks a little more than your old stapler.  <lmao>

Glad to have you here. Also, glad to see that you are taking advantage of life after career. I hope we can help you burn through that monthly check with all kinds of fancy new toys.

I didn't spend much time in the office, I actually turned down the Capt. position twice so I could stay out on the street! C:-)

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to burning some .308. I've had several ar-15s, but this will be my first gun on the AR-10 platform.

heminut, I'm about to turn my 318 Magnum into a 390 stroker - and it's in a truck.  I'm going to try to stay away from higher compression and keep it on cheap pumpgas, if I can find a combination of combustion chamber CCs in a factory offering, that will support that.  I'll do custom dished pistons through CP Pistons if I have to (connection there), before I start cutting on the chambers to increase their volume.  It's all about the math, at this point.  I just want the torque for towing, but I won't mind the HP increase in the least...  ;D  I can't wait to roast some 35" tires on a big, stupid 4WD truck.  <lmao>

Sorry, man - you brought out the Mopar in me...  <laughs>

heminut, I'm about to turn my 318 Magnum into a 390 stroker - and it's in a truck.  I'm going to try to stay away from higher compression and keep it on cheap pumpgas, if I can find a combination of combustion chamber CCs in a factory offering, that will support that.  I'll do custom dished pistons through CP Pistons if I have to (connection there), before I start cutting on the chambers to increase their volume.  It's all about the math, at this point.  I just want the torque for towing, but I won't mind the HP increase in the least...  ;D  I can't wait to roast some 35" tires on a big, stupid 4WD truck.  <lmao>

Sorry, man - you brought out the Mopar in me...  <laughs>

If you boost with the stroker with a cam, you'll keep your torque and end up with good HP with low compression and runnable on pump gas. Just have to tune. I recommend an 88mm single Turbo, with your 390, that should ball park you at 550 HP and 800lbft of torque. I got issues. 

<lmao>  I WANT to keep this thing NA.  No power adders.  If I MUST spring for custom pistons, I'll have them dished enough for the addition of a cent. blower, though.  <dontknow>  I need this fat bastard running on 87, and power adders will screw me.  I just hope I can keep 87 on the 390 without messing with the combustion chambers.  :-[

I can set the nitrous up for you, if you'll be running a wet shot.  I don't like the dry shot systems, but I can make some magic with the wet setups.  ;D <thumbsup>  This could get complicated.  :o

We completely wrecked this thread, too...  <laughs>