• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

MIL/LEO Members

imschur

On one of the other boards that I am on has this same type of thing.

For the MIL, they have guys send in a copy of their DD214 and ask them to black out the SSN. For the LE guys, they send in a copy of their creds.

This way the boards are seperate. But it's a thought....  <dontknow>

ok guys I am looking for a volunteer with the time, and will power to verify credentials so we can re open the Mil/leo board. You need to have a background in the mil/leo and at least 100 posts.

PM me if interested.

mrraley's suggestion mirrors that of 98Z5V's. I say lets run with it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The military side of the house should be very easy.  EVERY soldier receives a DD214 and all we would have to do is get them to send us a copy for review.  I would suggest that they blank out the SSN prior to sending it though for security reasons.  Yea, there have been quite a few people forge the DD214 and normally it takes someone that knows their career path to spot it but at times it's easy to spot a fake DD214.  I'd be glad to look over the DD214's if needed.

PS I would make it a requirement to provide a DD214 in order for former military members to have access to the MIL/LEO side of the house.

A secondary method I might recommend is by email address. Someone with AKO access (Army email) can look up at a minimum active/guard/reserve across services. Determine status and validate with a reply email. Individuals not in the military can get these accounts also if they are sponsored by a military member but it is listed as such when they are "looked up".

Also, keep in mind that military ID cards are not supposed to be copied either.  Even though it always gets done as a method of verification.  I usually "blacken" a portion out when I submit verification via military ID copy.  That usually meets the intent of the vendors vcerification and covers the DOD security concerns.

I was also wondering how you would do AD personnel.  I haven't been for quite a long time but knew it has always been  against regs to be copying IDs.

My service was pretty boring so won't have a lot to add even with access.

ironically my latest ID card has the new-old service number (that we are going back to to prevent ID theft) however every time I go to medical or personnel they need my SS to pull up my records :p

Imagine that!  <laughs>

Not long after I got out, those who went into the active reserves said that, while doing the SSN switch, they had to use service IDs to find records.

<lmao>

Jon

Also, keep in mind that military ID cards are not supposed to be copied either.  Even though it always gets done as a method of verification.  I usually "blacken" a portion out when I submit verification via military ID copy.  That usually meets the intent of the vendors vcerification and covers the DOD security concerns.

I'm going to weigh in on this one.  I've received this response once before about the "copying" of MIL ID cards. 

That regulation is in refence to making fake ID cards, not photocopying ID cards.  "Reproduction," with the intent of the Reg. Read that Reg closely, with that in mind.  "Reproducing" ID cards, in the meaning of the Reg, is making fakes.  That's the intention of the regulation.  Photocopying an ID card, or NOT photocopying an ID card, is not the intent of the Reg.

That aside, verification of military service is easy, really.  If you're out now, you have a DD214.  If you're in, first enlistment, whatever - basically, never been discharged "yet" - then you have AKO, if you're Army, and the equivalent in the other branches.

If you're out, send a copy of your DD214 with SSN blacked out.  If you're in, send an email from your AKO, or other-branch equivalent email.  Your email will be going to another AKO account (if it's to ALELKS), so there's no worry of any kind of "compromise."  I said that all along.

IMHO, there is one certain Mod or Admin that does not need to be a part of the MIL/LEO section, in the least.  He has fully demonstrated his lack of understanding of the military world and what it's all about, and he should have no access to that section whatsoever, despite where that section goes in the future.

Most Mods and Admins know who I'm talking about, and I'm certain the person in question knows it, too.  He definitely has no business there.  IMHO, based on past actions, he shouldn't even be a Mod anymore.  Solely on past actions.

Use that for what it's worth.

Tom.

Out.

Also keep in mind that when copying any official ID in color you need to either blow it up by 15% or reduce it by 15%.  Any good copy shop should know this.  That way you get around any question that it is an attempt to duplicate an official ID with the intent of using it as a real ID.

A color ID copied in black and white it really doesn't matter but I personally blow them up too.

Been there and done that for over 15 years now since I own a copy/print/sign shop.