• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New LR 308 owner needs advice

DJ Phallic

Austin, TX newbie

I just bought my first AR, a DPMS LR-308 and love it but this bad boy is heavy!  I have a 3-12x56 scope, bi pod, and an XLR-250 light mounted above the scope. I went pig hunting this week with it and my biceps felt like I had hit the gym from carrying it around all night. It's got me hesitant to use it as my standard weapon on my hunts so I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this and how the problem was overcome.  The obvious thought is to buy a new barrel which is shorter and lighter but my knowledge on this subject is nonexistent. Can I do this? Do I need to purchase a whole new upper barrel assembly? (My finances sure hope not!) What should I do?

Welcome from Leander. I feel your pain brother. I hog hunt out near Lockhart. I installed a 1 point sling onto my Armalite AR-10, seems to help a bit. My weapon has a pencil barrel which takes a little weight off but not much, still muuuuch heavier Than my .223. but that .308 works great on them Hogs...

Hiya  I ran into the same weight problemo with my first 308 build...used the dpms barrel...yikes I couldnt stand the weight .on my second build for galfriend I went to the rainier select 18" barrel...my what a difference! Im using the trx extreme  13" forepiece and the magpul acs stock

which brought the weight waaay down...sold the dpms sass and got another ranier barrel....both rifles are sub moa and a joy to shoot...get yourself the 16" and the troy rail <thumbsup>

Wash

Yeppers you can replace the barrel ....you need the proper barrel nut wrench and a lower reciever insert for the vice...dpms has a good one. you gotta get rid of that gas block and the fore thats on there and use a troy extreme or another light weight one to get the fat off that rifle!  dont be gettin any bull barrel either....that select the ranier offers is awesome snag a 16" if you can....oh  and wear some hearing protection too <munch>  Wash

heres the ranier in 18"

IMG_0215.jpg

Washguy, that's what I'm talking about! Yours is what I'd like mine to be! That is a killer looking weapon. So you did all your research before you made your swtches, any advice on where to look and what is a good deal on those items?  I really appreciate your advice! <thumbsup>

Hiya DJ  Thanks !    I didnt start with an off the shelf dpms....I built the rifle using a mega ma 10 upper lower...and then adding the dpms sass barrel which i then found out I also needed a gun bearer cause it was so heavy for galfriend and me too...soo I already had the tools....the dpms claw bout fort bucks from jse surplus and a dpms 308 wrench from them....then call Jeff Morgan at troy and tell him your serial number so they can send you the right height rail...theres 2 different upper heights from dpms

get a low profile gas block.. jse again...find a nice muzzle break...pri works for me.... dont be afraid to change the workings....if you can chew gum and walk at the same time you wont have a problemo....if you cant do that...then  we are here for ya to help you make the changes

oopsie...you will need a work bench with a vice though <thumbsup>  Wash

Since its raining here..i got off my fat azz and weighed the rifles on a  crappy digital scale...both guns scoped, both 18' barrels...no mags in them . the ar 15 6.8spc is 9.5 lbs and  galfriends 308 18" rainier barrel{ the one in the picture } is 10.7 lbs

<thumbsup>  Wash

I'm curious, can either of you guys help me out here, I see that the OP said that his 21" weighs 16 lbs, 10 oz loaded, while Dusty 44 states that his fluted 24" weighs 12 lbs 6 oz, unloaded. Can the unfluted 21" barrel, and 20 rds of .308 really weigh 4 lbs. 4 oz. ? more than the same gun with a fluted 24" ?