• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Compensators/Muzzle Brakes

moagm316

What are the opinions of the .308 aficianados here?

I have heard great things about the SJC TItan brake. I have a Battle Comp on my AR15 and like it allot, but I am open to something different. Does anyone have experience with both the SJC Titan, and the BABC, or other brakes? I am fairly new to the .308 arena. The only comp I have ever used is the Battle Comp on my AR15. Do you all have any food for thought?

I have a Smith Enterprise brake on a Bushmaster 308 mid-length. With the MOE stock, recoil is about like a 16" .30-30, and even less since I put the A2 stock on it. The blast to the sides is impressive though, to say the least. I had my range bag a little too far forward on the table while zeroing the sights, and blew it off the table.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the opinions of the .308 aficianados here?

I have heard great things about the SJC TItan brake. I have a Battle Comp on my AR15 and like it allot, but I am open to something different. Does anyone have experience with both the SJC Titan, and the BABC, or other brakes? I am fairly new to the .308 arena. The only comp I have ever used is the Battle Comp on my AR15. Do you all have any food for thought?

The SJC is a full blown comp brake and known to be one of the best around. The large top ports on it and a few others do a lot to prevent muzzle rise where brakes with big side ports and little or no top ports do not do much to prevent muzzle rise.

Brakes with big side ports are loud to say the least.

Brakes should be designed so the bullet passes through a wall no further forward from the crown than the bullet body is long so the high pressure gases can not get around the sides of the bullet and disrupt flight. That is why the best brakes bore is only .040-.060 larger than the bullet dia.

My experience is that muzzle breaks usually don't make much difference.

I can give you one exception though. PWS FSC (Bulldog Compensator in my case. When I heard all the claims about how effective they are, I figured they were exaggerations. Now I can tell you they aren't.

I have yet to try them on a .308 but the recoil of my AR-15 is literally a little less then a Ruger 10-22.

They have a powerful shockwave though, more then twice as bad as on the M1 Garand and 1/4 as bad as that on the Barrett M-82A2. One of our members once said they kill all nearby bugs and he's not exaggerating.

Well the last three rifles I built were test fired with out any muzzle device on them at all & then a brake was added , I can tell you , to me ,they work in varring degrees.

The PRI on my 20" 308 , works real well .

The Vltor vt301 made my 16" 308 less of a blaster to those in line next to me & some say made it quiet compared to no muzzle device ( it was loud )I got it more for flash suppression than a brake ,but they say its both .

The Smith Enterprises is on  my 300BLK & also works very well .

My experience is that muzzle breaks usually don't make much difference.

Agree some poorly designed brakes do nothing but look good and that is all some think about. I don't think much of linear brakes/comps. Others do what they are designed to do and choosing them depends on what you want from them. Do you want to eliminate muzzle rise? reduce recoil?

Reduce recoil 50%, reduce muzzle rise 50% and reduce flash as well? Or roll around in the dirt while shooting and not blow dust?  ;D

Agree some poorly designed brakes do nothing but look good and that is all some think about. I don't think much of linear brakes/comps. Others do what they are designed to do and choosing them depends on what you want from them. Do you want to eliminate muzzle rise? reduce recoil?

Reduce recoil 50%, reduce muzzle rise 50% and reduce flash as well? Or roll around in the dirt while shooting and not blow dust?  ;D

Not long ago, you posted a thread about what needed to be improved on the .308 ARs - what you've just mentioned above is something I honestly didn't even think about.  I'd like to see a comp/brake that outperforms something like a BABC or a Spike's Dynacomp, like what you mentioned as the "third" option above.  Reduce muzzle rise by 50%, reduce recoil by 50% (obviously, compared to what's out there), and maybe have a closed bottom, so it's not going to raise a hellish dust signature.

That, right there, would be cool.  <thumbsup>

When are the lightweight .308 barrels going to be ready?  Would the barrel diameter forward of the gas port be 0.750"  I'd love to get my hands on one of these, so I could build a lighter-weight 16" .308 AR, and make that sucker a Dissipator.  Simple, plenty of handquard, solid FSB, then flash suppressor.  Short enough, mean, and nasty.  <dontknow>

Not long ago, you posted a thread about what needed to be improved on the .308 ARs - what you've just mentioned above is something I honestly didn't even think about.  I'd like to see a comp/brake that outperforms something like a BABC or a Spike's Dynacomp, like what you mentioned as the "third" option above.  Reduce muzzle rise by 50%, reduce recoil by 50% (obviously, compared to what's out there), and maybe have a closed bottom, so it's not going to raise a hellish dust signature.

That, right there, would be cool.  <thumbsup>

Brakes and comps are easy, could do a different design every day and probably already have one that will reduce muzzle rise and recoil 50% . Have one that eliminates 100% of muzzle rise.

Okay, and about the second part of my post?

When are the lightweight .308 barrels going to be ready?  Would the barrel diameter forward of the gas port be 0.750"  I'd love to get my hands on one of these, so I could build a lighter-weight 16" .308 AR, and make that sucker a Dissipator.  Simple, plenty of handquard, solid FSB, then flash suppressor.  Short enough, mean, and nasty.  <dontknow>

I too would be interested in a lightweight 16" rifle length .308 barrel (w/ a .750 gasblock). I'd be even more interested in a lightweight 14.5" mid length .308 (1:11) barrel (also w/ a .750 gasblock). That way I could add the BABC for a 16" OAL. That'd be one heck of a hunter!