• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2nd 308 build

Patrad

Dang good thing I was already aware of the addictive nature of these beasties! Or else it woulda been a bit of a shock to realize it!! Anyway, I have so far gotten as far as 2 lowers (still to be machined), and 2 premium LPKs, and still hafta decide on an upper(s). It'll be a 16"er fer shure fer this one, other than that, I haven't gotten that far as yet. (Blew Saturday all to hell by spending most of the day shooting my new to me #1 markIII S,M, LE for the 1st time - whatta ton a fun:banana: a 1918 version, it is - bayonet also) - Mikee is a happy camper😎. I guess now that I've decided I hafta have a 16"er, I gotta get more mags, as I only have 10 gen3 Pmags for the 1st one - dammit man, is there no end (not a serious question, already know the answer)? I suppose 10 more of them are on the horizon:hornet:. Decisions, decisions!

Y'all take care,
Mike.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Don't forget to get a much LARGER safe to fit the future collection.

Larger my aching ass! Got nowhere to put one - waitafrigginminute - that wall looks like it could be removed, dunnitt?

I said when I joined that y'all (&^%$#@#^* were gonna cost me $$ (or at least facilitate the spending thereof) - looks like a premonition, eh?? Dammit man!

Y'all take care,
Mike.

3 hours ago, DNP said:

No. We would never expect anything different. Have you seen how many different calibers you can load on this platform??  It’s crazy…good luck stopping at 2. 

Let's see, 12.5" .308, 13.5" .308, 16" .308, 18" .308, 18.5" .308, 16" .338 Fed, 16" .358 Win, 20" .260 Rem.  Another 20" .260 Rem upper completed.  I think I'm forgetting a caliber...   :bitchslap:

Nope, the .243 Win is a bolt gun.  :laffs:

12 hours ago, DNP said:

No. We would never expect anything different. Have you seen how many different calibers you can load on this platform??  It’s crazy…good luck stopping at 2. 

Dammit DNP - thanks a whoooole bunch! And yes, I'm aware.🙈

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Let's see, 12.5" .308, 13.5" .308, 16" .308, 18" .308, 18.5" .308, 16" .338 Fed, 16" .358 Win, 20" .260 Rem.  Another 20" .260 Rem upper completed.  I think I'm forgetting a caliber...   :bitchslap:

Nope, the .243 Win is a bolt gun.  :laffs:

Wut - ya mean ya don't have a 243AR??? Yer slacking!🙃

On 4/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, Armed Eye Doc said:

@98Z5V forgot to mention 7mm-08 Remington.  I'm pretty sure he has that caliber as well.  If not, I know he is planning for it. :hail::hornet:

Dam - I'm envious🍻. And here I am, just getting semi serious about a 2nd 308 (already have *several* AR's in 223 & 556)! These dam things are truly addictive, no matter the caliber.:cool: I salute you 98, Sir!!:hail::hail:🥃🥃

On another note, my son and I are heading to the (somewhat small) show at the armory in about 1 1/2 hours. Kinda dangerous - last one we went to a couple months ago a new to me 45 followed me home. Jumped right in my back pocket, it did, and hid out till we got home🤪😲. Today - just wanting to find some goodies for me to put to use. Never can tell what will be there.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Well........ made it to the show. Minor score - 4 boxes of Privi .303 Brit, 174gr FMJ for $110.00, 3 boxes of PMC Bronze 380 FMJ (for a friend) for $90.

Got to thinking (VERY dangerous for me!!!🤑) on the way home, told Jr that I made up my mind, and hit the "submit order" button for the new 308 16" upper as soon as I could get to the 'puter.🤪🙈🥃 AHHHH shiff, here we go again!🙃

image.png.3c0685e933875ffaff0c7f308d501923.png

16" parkerized, CMV heavy barrel, 1/10 twist, mid length gas. 15" free float MLOK split rail, M4 flat top, AR 10 ramps, gas block dia. 0.750", gas port dia. 0.086". Not even finished breakin' in the 1st one yet - Holy Sheep poop!😲 Next big thang before I start ordering more stuff is to pay off the car at the 1st of the month!!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Finally - it'll be MY car instead of just my car payments - this makes Mikee VERY, VERY HAPPY!🥃🥃🥃 It'll still always be my better half's car (even though she's gone), but paid for now - been quite some time since there's been no car OR truck payment in this here fambly! Unfortunately (for my checkbook, anyway) that means more unspoken for $$ laying around to spend on parts. Dam - my checkbook is gonna hate me! Likely already does.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Edited by Patrad

15 minutes ago, Patrad said:

Holy Sheep poop!😲

Should have read "schiff" instead of poop - missed the autocorrect dammit!

17 minutes ago, Patrad said:

AHHHH shiff, here we go again!🙃

Same here!🙃 Got excited about the upper - sorry.😉

8 hours ago, DNP said:

360 more payments starting June first and I’ll own this damn house we just built. So 30 years from now, I’ll be able to build a rifle or two a month. 

Stay optimistic, Bro! Seems like it takes forever, but it'll happen for ya.😎 I can say that it was MOST EXCELLENT for me when mine was paid off!😁🥃

Y'all take care,
Mike.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:47 AM, Patrad said:

Stay optimistic, Bro!

DO NOT build a .358 Win AR yet.  Let me work this thing out.  It's not evil - it's demonic.  It's pure pain right now. 

Go build something else in the meantime.  But not this.  Build some other caliber, just not this one.  I'll figure it out.

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

DO NOT build a .358 Win AR yet.  Let me work this thing out.  It's not evil - it's demonic.  It's pure pain right now. 

Go build something else in the meantime.  But not this.  Build some other caliber, just not this one.  I'll figure it out.

How about a nice and just coming out 8.6  Blackout?

4 minutes ago, dpete said:

Just saw that today...   :lmao:   6.5 Creed necked up to .338.  Has my interest, kinda.  Only a barrel swap on a large-frame, and a die set. 

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Just saw that today...   :lmao:   6.5 Creed necked up to .338.  Has my interest, kinda.  Only a barrel swap on a large-frame, and a die set. 

Is that what it is?  How is that so different than a 338 Federal besides the 1:3 twist? 

14 minutes ago, dpete said:

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm still waiting on the 500 Blackout that a certain somebody once teased us with. The bastard. He's lucky I love him. :laffs:

6 minutes ago, dpete said:

Is that what it is?  How is that so different than a 338 Federal besides the 1:3 twist? 

Shorter Creed case lets you seat those heavies properly.  I'll find the artical with Kevin Brittingham and post it.

EDIT - Here it is, the first one.  Goes through the nuts and bolts of it:

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/8-6-blackout-a-2021-update-with-qs-kevin-brittingham/

Edited by 98Z5V

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Shorter Creed case lets you seat those heavies properly.  I'll find the artical with Kevin Brittingham and post it.

So you couldn't cut down a 308 case and achieve the same result?  Chop it down and run it through a 8.6 BLK sizing die, just like we do with .223 to 300 BLK?

No I don't need another rifle!   :thumbup:     Just curious is all.

Edited by dpete

I already have a .260 Rem blown out to .338...  :laffs:  It's a .308 Win blown out to .338.  It's called .338 Federal.  I'm already running 225gr Hornady SSTs on that load, and it's a bad bastard.  It's just not a shortened case, that would optimize those crazy 360gr sub projectiles.  Most of these 8.6 BLK barrels are 8" to 12", with that 3" twist, for those heavy subs.