• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Alaska: The last frontier

Timing

• 4 months later...

Visited your home state.  Almost had to sedate me to get me back home to CT.  My wife and I went on a 8 day guided fly-fishing fly-in a few years back.  We were in the far-western part of Alaska on the Good News and other rivers, not from from the shore.  We stay in a couple of out camps and then in a lodge for a few nights.  The outcamps were just spectacular. Once at night a herd of Caribou ran through late. I though it was thunder!  We had bears all the time for companions, too.  We were there in September fishing for the end of the Silver run.  It was so perfect that we would just stop fishing and stand together admiring the vastness and elegent raw beauty of Alaska as it played out before us.  Our pilot, too, showed us some just awe-inspiring mountains.  We would clear the tops of some of extinct volcanos by what looked like 20 feet only to have them fall away on the other side.

We are planning on a return trip but absolutely avoid any 'tourist' stuff.  People to say they've been to Alaska but spend their time on a cruise ship don't know squat.  So, we're going to do the small motorhome around the horn from Anchorage to Fairbanks on the western route up;poke around that area; then head back down on the Eastern route, taking our time to explore.  We will be fishing, too. 

I admire you all for enduring that long dark winter.  That's the one thing that would bother me.  We lose a lot of light here on our latitude in CT, too, but nothing like Alaska.  Can't wait to get back before I'm too old to enjoy it!

Rome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

going on 41 years up here! Not plans to leave any time soon, either. Too much fun crap to do up here... got my own ocean going boat and halibut/salmon fish out of Homer all summer long, love to hunt ptarmigan in the fall, and now that I'm working up my .308, who knows what other hunting I can get in on. If they'd ever give me a caribou tag....! And getting out in the woods hiking with my dogs is a 24/7/365 event for me. SO nice to drive a few miles and be in the middle of nowhere and get lost in the woods for awhile to get away from everything/one.

Oh well... I can usually be found at the birchwood shooting range on Mondays or Tuesdays since I have the membership that gets me in on those closed to the public days. Stop by and say hi! I'm usually plinking steel targets with the 5.56, .308 or a recent acquisition, a Saiga12.

• 1 month later...

Another northerner here. Born and raised in homer and I haven't left yet. Any of you end up at the end of the road look me up I have my own range at my house, come shoot with me! Hey Swissy, if you're here for the kings in the late season look me up always looking for new people to fish and shoot with.

Lived in Chistichina on the Tok Cutoff, 234 miles NE of Anchorage in the Wrangles from 1975 to 1977.

Went to Alaska to work on the Trans Alaskan Pipeline.

Didn't work out. Spent my stay busting truck tires at the Chistochina Trading Post for Doug Northcutt.

Did a lot of shooting, fishing, hunting and trapping.

Some of the best memories of my life.

Only wish I had taken photos.

Another northerner here. Born and raised in homer and I haven't left yet. Any of you end up at the end of the road look me up I have my own range at my house, come shoot with me! Hey Swissy, if you're here for the kings in the late season look me up always looking for new people to fish and shoot with.

Hey! Just remembered I posted in here >:D

I'll have to give you a shout this summer... I'm down in Homer all summer long! I have family about 6.5miles out East End road (Fernwood) and I own 5 acres on Diamond Ridge that I have yet to build on. I keep my boat there as well...  just got back from the Winter King Derby! Lost the winner fish, but got a 14.4# one for the grill...

That's funny, the wife and I used to live on Fernwood a few years ago. I'm gone from may till the first week in September commercial fishing, but after that I go heavy on the kings. Good to hear that you didn't get skunked on the derby. I went out last year for the derby and it was the only day we got skunked the whole year! Btw, was that a white king? Those are the best eating fish out there ( my opinion). Good luck this summer!

On a side note, if you find yourself at sportsman's or the other gun shops and ammo and reloading supplies start becoming available again, slap a post up if you would. I was up there a couple weeks ago and there was NOTHING for 308 or 223, so if you let me know I might be obligated to share a couple good trolling spots... Hope you are well and happy fishing and shooting!

Love the fishing there thought about moving but found Idaho 30 years ago and never looked back south Alaska weather is to wet for me and the over all expense to live their is pretty high but I do love the frontier their and you have great fishing so so hunting  Idaho has so so fishing (we have a great run of Kings each year ) but no hailbut  :( but we have awesome hunting for many species so i will visit but I love my own frontier down here remember Idaho is bigger than Texas you just have to pound it out flat! welcome to the forum their some really great folks here...