• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Excalibur Micro Mag 340

Lonewolf McQuade

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Even though that means dealing with obnoxious tree rats 🤣😂.

I'm still trying to decide which rifle I want to take this Saturday. Decisions- decisions......

Man now you’re making me think I’ll bring a 3rd rifle…22lr browning a-bolt for the tree rats lol. I’ll have my Aero M5 308 and my a-bolt 7mmRM, mainly cause that 7mag is just rough for me to leave behind after hunting with it for 23 years. 

On 11/22/2022 at 10:55 PM, JMJ said:

Man now you’re making me think I’ll bring a 3rd rifle…22lr browning a-bolt for the tree rats lol. I’ll have my Aero M5 308 and my a-bolt 7mmRM, mainly cause that 7mag is just rough for me to leave behind after hunting with it for 23 years. 

Hope you got a big red wagon if you're bringing the whole armory in the woods with you😂

25 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Hope you got a big red wagon if you're bringing the whole armory in the woods with you😂

Lol nah one rifle and my 10mm pistol at a time. I will have my kids jogging stroller, my 4.5 year old daughter wants to make her first hunt with me so I’m thinking I’ll load her up in it and push her down the trail to my box stand. 

Edited by JMJ

On 11/22/2022 at 11:28 PM, JMJ said:

Lol nah one rifle and my 10mm pistol at a time. I will have my kids jogging stroller, my 4.5 year old daughter wants to make her first hunt with me so I’m thinking I’ll load her up in it and push her down the trail to my box stand. 

Good to get them interested young👍

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Good to get them interested young👍

Yes indeed! Some of my fondest memories with my 22 year old son were deer hunts when he was down from Arkansas with me on Christmas break. My daughter’s been telling me for the last year she’s ready to go “make meat” LoL. It really does rekindle the fire in me to get back at it again. Joining this new lease is a great thing all around, since it’s gets up up visiting my wife’s family in the “Yankee” zone of Louisiana, especially her favorite uncle and cousins I joined the lease with. A lot bigger deer than where I live on the gulf coast and there’s still hogs to lay the wrath down on too. 

On 11/22/2022 at 11:38 PM, JMJ said:

Yes indeed! Some of my fondest memories with my 22 year old son were deer hunts when he was down from Arkansas with me on Christmas break. My daughter’s been telling me for the last year she’s ready to go “make meat” LoL. It really does rekindle the fire in me to get back at it again. Joining this new lease is a great thing all around, since it’s gets up up visiting my wife’s family in the “Yankee” zone of Louisiana, especially her favorite uncle and cousins I joined the lease with. A lot bigger deer than where I live on the gulf coast and there’s still hogs to lay the wrath down on too. 

Good memories made!

I enjoyed hunting with My son when he was younger. But once he got interested in chasing 2 legged whitetail, he wanted no part of the woods lol. Now he's wanting to hunt again but working too much.

My daughter loves deer meat but had no interest in hunting. Although she did land a jelly donut eatin bear last September, he works at the department in an adjoining township 🤣

• 1 year later...

@Lonewolf McQuade  I was wondering if you are still liking your Excalibur micro.  Taking a bow back up, will allow me to get into the woods about 4 weeks earlier in VA. Both my 87 y.o. father-in-law and my cousin (who are both damn good hunters) effective use and like their Ravins.  I've looked a bit at some of the lower priced Ravins and TenPoint models. Hate the thought of dropping much more than a Grand on a bow. I can swallow something in in the $1200 - $1400 range.  But above that, damn hard to justify. From the reviews I've read, TenPoint's customer support is iffy at best.  I've also read Ravins are loud AF. I have not personally shot one.  Both the Ravins and the TenPoints are also fairly high maintenance when in comes to the strings and cable systems (again - based on what I've read, not experienced).  The complexity of the more compact compound crossbows, is nudging my interest towards the Excalibur Micro series. KISS and minimize possible points of failure are philosophies I try to follow. I'm rapidly approaching 60, shortish, but still strong. Wondering if I'll have any issues cocking an Excalibur.  If I get one, I'll be buying blind online. No stores around here keep them on hand.  Any insights you can offer would be appreciated.

Doesn't matter now.  Just pulled the trigger and ordered a Micro Suppressor Supreme, extra bolts, 150 g target points & boltcutter broadheads, and a micro survival kit directly from Excalibur.  Thinking I'd better get a lot of work done on the kitchen renovation project this weekend before telling the wife that there's a package coming she'll need to sign for ... 🤣

17 hours ago, MtnMike said:

Thinking I'd better get a lot of work done on the kitchen renovation project this weekend before telling the wife that there's a package coming she'll need to sign for ... 🤣

I like your style!...    :lmao:

19 hours ago, MtnMike said:

Doesn't matter now.  Just pulled the trigger and ordered a Micro Suppressor Supreme, extra bolts, 150 g target points & boltcutter broadheads, and a micro survival kit directly from Excalibur.  Thinking I'd better get a lot of work done on the kitchen renovation project this weekend before telling the wife that there's a package coming she'll need to sign for ... 🤣

You could always claim you ordered a bunch of hardware for the kitchen cabinets and the supplier screwed up and sent the wrong order :popcorn: