• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Excalibur Micro Mag 340

Lonewolf McQuade

Just finished getting the 340 built & sighted in. Shot about 30 arrows & am EXTREMELY HAPPY with it! I was initially a little wobbly with it , I'm used to the much larger Equinox. It's harder yet easier to cock compared to my Equinox. I'm 6'4" 260lb. I'm used to the long cocking on the old bow that's main resistance is only the last 1/3 of the stroke. The 340's firmer resistance is fairly consistent but a very short draw distance for my long arms. So while a little more strength is needed, the shorter draw makes it not too bad for me. After having shoulder surgery (multiple torn tendons & rotator cuff)1 1/2 years ago, I'm very happy I can cock by hand & shoot it well. That was one of my concerns when I ordered it.

Definitely sounds quieter than the Equinox, trigger is not quite as nice though. Although i recall the Equinox trigger got better after 100 shots or so. The Dead Zone scope the 340 came with is ok but I may put the Excalibur illuminated or Ten Point illuminated scope on that I got sitting on the shelf.
Definitely satisfied with the purchase, $647 was a fair price I guess considering fuel & inflation ....(F.U. biden!)

20220617_111648.jpg

20220617_205607.jpg

20220617_213022.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/18/2022 at 10:43 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

That's a nice bow but it's hard to go wrong with an Excaliber bow. 

I have the Eclipe XT which at 37.4" is huge compared to yours 

Thanks. 

They're hard to beat! Accuracy is excellent, no tuning, super simple & can be worked on without a press. 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:43 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

have the Eclipe XT which at 37.4" is huge compared to yours 

Yeah, my Equinox (pictured above, beside the micro) is about 36" wide also. Tough in tight places but a Hell of a great bow!

I'm shooting the same 150gr Boltcutter broadheads on the micro as I do the Equinox- flies perfectly.  However  I did find out my Block Crossbow cube target (Rated to 400 fps) WILL NOT stop the micro bolts w/ the 150gr Boltcutters! Buried them to the nocks! Lol

Very nice!  Still contemplating entering the crossbow realm. Used to bow hunt. But my old Browning Explorer compound became obsolete, unsafe and unserviceable. Going to see how enjoyable and productive new hunting area in SC is this year before dropping the $ for the extra 4 weeks or so of season. Love the simplicity of the Excalibers. Love the cocking mechanisms of the Ravins. I'm 56 and quite fit at present, but aging is inevitable - main upside of the Ravin.  Let us know how the 340 hunts!

Edited by MtnMike

On 6/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, MtnMike said:

Very nice!  Still contemplating entering the crossbow realm. Used to bow hunt. But my old Browning Explorer compound became obsolete, unsafe and unserviceable. Going to see how enjoyable and productive new hunting area in SC is this year before dropping the $ for the extra 4 weeks or so of season. Love the simplicity of the Excalibers. Love the cocking mechanisms of the Ravins. I'm 56 and quite fit at present, but aging is inevitable - main upside of the Ravin.  Let us know how the 340 hunts!

I'm king of justifying buying  shlt I don't need lol. 

Wasn't going to blow the $$ to buy another bow considering what's going on here & globally. Then I decided it be useful to have a more compact bow & having the older bow as a back up/ spare is essential. In addition,  it's a necessity to have a SILENT  lethal option for dispatching of 2&4 leg varmint if needed. Firearms are too loud  for some cases or areas. 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

As I have heard..."two is one and one is none."

Amen!

Also ordered a few spare strings, a couple dozen arrows & 2 dozen broadheads. Wanted to make sure I have extras of EVERYTHING on hand. Never know when shipping may seize or product availability diminishes worse. I should be good for a while now.

7 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

As I have heard..."two is one and one is none."

That's the very tip of the iceberg, and the bare minimum for planning, just so you don't go down from 1 broken part, etc... That doesn't account for Murphy's Law, but just for gear.  Think like this:

PACE

Primary

Alternate

Contingency

Emergency

Plan 4 deep, and you can get out of a shiitstorm...  :thumbup:

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Alternate

I always remembered that because I thought secondary was a better word for that level....stupid acronyms:laffs: Can't tell you how many times that bit of brainwashing they did on me has saved the day for me and others around me, nothing dramatic, no life saving event just a bunch of "I got something for that"

• 2 weeks later...