• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The next Black Rifle Build. .45 ACP

98Z5V

'Tis official.  Parts in hand.  "Temporarily" finished tomorrow, sometime.  I say "temporarily," because I'll need to build more, but it'll be a shooter tomorrow.  I'll explain, well, after tomorrow.  ;D

How it sits now:

100_0186.jpg

Use your imagination...  <laughs>

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont think the anodizing on the upper and lower match. Also I like the light contour of the barrel

That barrel is made of Unobtanium.  I had to sell my truck, Jeep, three morotcycles, and two quads just to buy that thing - but it handles like a CHAMP!  Oh, and pimp the kid.  He's cleaning AZ yards now, and I get 75%.  <lmao> 

The Little Weed-Puller really made this happen for me.  <dontknow> <laughs>

I'm guessing something previously mentioned?

HAHA!  You rock, man.  <thumbsup>  You didn't give it away, since I've mentioned it more than once recently.  It just "became a reality" kinda quick-like.  I'll need to do more to "finish" it, for good, but it's gonna be VERY cool when it's finally done. 

Let's see what others know, from recent posts, but either way it'll be posted on Thursday night, ready to shoot.  ;D

Brother 98 I like it not forward heavy easy to swing,is the barrel heat treated? <lmao> Shoot on bro.

Decided to skip the heat treating on this one and cryo treat it instead.  Wanted to see the difference between "fire and ice."  ;D  A place called "300 Below" did the work.  <thumbsup>

http://www.300below.com/

In all seriousness, 300 Below is awesome - I've used those guys in the past on motorcycle drag race transmission gears.  They do outstanding work, and I've never seen one of those trannies break. 

Carbine update - I got screwed by FedEx.  Major parts were supposed to be delivered today, according to the original tracking info sent.  Well, I get to work this morning, and look for the hopeful status of "On truck for delivery..."  ;D

Nope.  :'(  "Delivery Status Updated: New delivery date 23 December by end of day..."  I was bummed... 

So, it'll be in here TOMORROW night sometime...  Sorry guys...  :(

Brother 98 I have spent the majority of my life in industry,and heat treat and cryo are valid processes relative to the application.I am not a scientist but try to use a common sense approach.I have heard of "300 below" you been around the block once or twice so I'm curious to see how this works and what cost's are, manufacturing for the most part would not incorporate a process just to do it,cause it cost time and money and that effects the bottom line.Shoot on bro.

what the...... ...... .. thats my kitchen's floor! i know my kitchenfloor!  where you in my house while i was away!?

yea fedex always do that. if its over their maximum "days" of delivery it should, complain and get your shipping money back. then again its the holiday season i dont know if it applies.

DONE!!!  <thumbsup>  I'm going to try to shoot it in the morning, before work.

AR in .45 ACP.  It's a 16" barrel with carbine handguards, as it comes from Olympic Arms.  I had the rifle length MOE and the Armalite clamp-on front sight base two days ago.  When this sucker got delivered this morning, I beat the pins out of the front sight base and removed it and the carbine handguards.  10 minutes later, it had the other stuff on it, and the A1 front sight post, detent and spring crossed over. 

Eventually, maybe January at the soonest, it'll have a dedicated .45 ACP lower that runs on the old M3 grease gun mags.  <thumbsup>

100_0192.jpg

100_0194.jpg

WooHoo!!!  ;D

Yep, it'll be the CNC lower, for sure.  That piece is almost too nice to be used as a firearm.  I thought about just getting the 80% and finishing it myself (never done one, but wanted to).  I'm economically further ahead to just buy the completed lower from him.  <thumbsup>

I'm on the hunt for the M3 grease gun mags as we speak. 

Justin does make a high quality product. I looked into the 80% and the deal breaker for me is getting it hardcoated afterwards. That would be something that I would have no control of and would be at the mercy of the plater. The idea of the plater (or should I say his employee) leaving the lower in the etching solution too long and screwing up all the tolerences of the lower I worked so hard to make perfect is just too painful to contemplate.

That's exactly why the extra $100 wasn't that big of a deal, considering.  I didn't want to take my chances with the Type III hardcoating - better to keep that stuff to the guy that's already been doing it to those lowers.  He already knows the tough spots on it to have to inspect, etc.  Spending the $100 to have someone finish the machining, plus the annodizing was a pretty easy choice.  <thumbsup>

DONE!!!  <thumbsup>  I'm going to try to shoot it in the morning, before work.

Well, THAT didn't happen.  Crazy around here on X-Mas Eve Morning...  :o  Not even the slimmest chance of getting out to the range this morning.  I'll update the initial shoot-in pretty soon.  Targets posted, of course.  <thumbsup>

As kind of a consolation, I did break down the BCG and get some pics.  Olympic Arms is doing some very interesting stuff now, compared to what they've done in the past.  I have an old 9mm BCG complete from them, from the old days, and what they're doing now (and I don't know for how long, "now" is...)  - it's  pretty different...  I have no manufacture date on that old 9mm BCG, so I have no idea when these changes were made. 

Overall pic of the disassembled BCG:

100_0202.jpg

Standard AR-15 firing pin, but it's sprung - this is one HEAVY spring, too!

100_0198_1.jpg

The cam pin hole is simply bored to size - the bolt doesn't rotate anyway, and there are no locking lugs for the bolt or barrel extension, so this makes perfect sense.  The old ones were built on standard carriers, and it was a typical cam pin hole, rotating.  Not now.  Also, since it's blowback operated, it doesn't need a gas key, but there a chunk there, with bolts - I think this is there for carrier weight.  Old ones had a complete gas key in place.

100_0202_1.jpg

Extractor spring is external, on top of the extractor, and fits into a machined groove inside the mouth of the BCG.  This is the direct opposite of what we're used to, with the extractor spring back under the tail of the extractor, internal.

100_0203.jpg

100_0203_1.jpg

I don't know if the extractor spring is the same one as an AR-15 part, but it doesn't feel too strong.  It has no "insert" inside of it.  It's pretty easy to "cycle" the extractor with finger pressure.  Not like the AR-15... 

Overall, that's it.  It's a pretty simple system.  That carrier is VERY unlike a standard AR-15 carrier - there's extra meterial everywhere they could put it, and there's even a threaded heavy allen-headed insert screwed into the back of the BCG.  I need to get a new postal scale and weight this thing out.  It's heavy.

• 1 month later...

Firing update, which will happen again soon.  This is from Sunday, January 8th - initial sight zero.  Hell of a process, that day, so this was only fired from 25 yards.  Goal is to zero it at 50 yards, but I'll be starting all over again.  Details below.

100_0221.jpg

100_0222.jpg

Made a major change to the sights - specifically, the flip-up rear was only a temporary sight, just to get to the range with this carbine.  Since this is a short range weapon (being realistic - it's a .45 ACP), I never had any plan of running a red dot or other optic on it.  Irons only for this one. 

I knew I wanted a Dissipator look, to a fixed front sight base was part of the build.  I looked all over for a fixed rear sight, without going to a carry handle and keeping it as a flat-top upper.  Several companies make a fixed, shortened A2-type rear sight - and I knew I wouldn't need the feature of the evelation wheel of an A2.  I saw a couple fixed rear setups that interested me, being Daniel Defense and Larue.  LMT was out, as that's an A2-type. 

Found that Midwest Industries makes a fixed rear sight.  It's hard to find on their website, becaise it's in the "clearance" section.  Apparently, they're discontinuing it.  It was on sale through them for $55, with a free sight adjustment tool.  Done.

(pics in a few)