The next Black Rifle Build. .45 ACP

98Z5V

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So wrong to post links to stuff like this.  You're gonna get me in trouble with Mrs. Boss when she finds another new gun in the house...Gonna go like this: 

...but honey I've had that one for a while now.  It's an investment.

How much ammunition do you really need?

...one of these days you'll be glad we have it and besides it was on sale.

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

If you need pics of what it actually looks like, I'll whip out the .45 and post 'em up.  :thumbup:

That would be awesome!! I've alreadt got a few spare parts including an Ejector spring parts kit :http://www.olyarms.com/shop/diy-worskshop/ar-15-parts-pistol-cal/pc28.html   so I'm ready to modify the upper, order a BCG and hopefully a barrel and, I think it would be smart to get a couple more spares (ejectors, extractors, firing pins and perhaps a spare complete bolt assy) - My FFL has been in contact with Justin @CNCGuns and for a small fee he is willing to engrave my FFL's Name,City and State on a 100% lower so he can legally manufacture it under his brand. It will have to have a plug in the receiver extension location, a block in the mag well as well as fabricating a device similar to an "AR Mag Lock" or a "Patriot Mag Release" to make it first a "break top single shot pistol" then after I take delivery of it a "fixed 10 round mag semi auto config" what a pain in the A$$!! Thanks again for your help 98:banana:

Edited by guruofhotrod

12 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

I think it would be smart to get a couple more spares (ejectors, extractors, firing pins and perhaps a spare complete bolt assy) -

As soon as Oly announced they were closing, I slammed an order - that I'd always meant to do, but never did. I bought 5 ejector springs, 2 ejector assemblies, a full .45ACP bolt, 2 extractors, 5 firing pin springs, and a bunch of other shiit. My .45AR will never go down...  :thumbup:

I'll get detailed upper receiver pics up tomorrow, man.

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

As soon as Oly announced they were closing, I slammed an order - that I'd always meant to do, but never did. I bought 5 ejector springs, 2 ejector assemblies, a full .45ACP bolt, 2 extractors, 5 firing pin springs, and a bunch of other shiit. My .45AR will never go down...  :thumbup:

I'll get detailed upper receiver pics up tomorrow, man.

No crap...Im jealous, and some whisper on here that you cant take the recoil of a.45...Hey im only the messenger don't hate on me okay?:laffs:   Wash

12 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

What are your thoughts on buffers for this setup, I've seen some real heavy AR45 buffers (7.5oz and 10oz) made by New Frontier Armory and I think Kaw Valley - do you feel this is necessary or helpful on the Oly Arms stuff?

I don't think they're necessary, but I think they'd be helpful.  The specialty buffers are not only heavier - they're longer.  Blowback operated pistol cal carbines have a shorter BCG, because they've got a fixed bolt -not a reciprocating bolt like normal ARs.  Based on that shorter length, you need to take up some space in the receiver extension.  The most common way is to stack 7 quarters in the receiver extension before you install the spring and buffer.  The specialty buffers are a little longer, designed that way for that reason.

I run a regular AR15 Carbine H3 buffer, plus $1.75 in mine.  The recoil is so tame, the sights don't even come off target.  That's why I say "not necessary," but they can be helpful.  Up to you. 

Guru, here ya go.  Notice that the small hole is only on the left side of the receiver...  It's just the spring holder.  The larger hole goes through both sides of the receiver, so that thing has to be machined straight...

AR45 ejector 1.JPG

AR45 ejector 2.JPG

AR45 ejector 3.JPG

AR45 ejector 4.JPG

AR45 ejector 5.JPG

Awesome!!:hail: That's what I needed to see - Shouldn't be too much trouble, I'll  grab it in the mill vise on the bridgeport with these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/740625/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-action-block-and-picatinny-rail-vise-block-ar-15-ar-10-lr-308

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-M-A-R-AR15-AR10-308-223-Upper-Receiver-Vise-Block-Gunsmith-Barrel-Nut-Tool-/122582358834?hash=item1c8a7a5b32:g:QyMAAOSwstxVSlhr

Check it for level, find center on the pivot pin bore and dial in the hole locations from there:thumbup:  Looks like the arm on the "Espring" gets a workout - wonder what the life expectancy is? probably should get 1/2 dozen spares to future proof this deal:thumbup:

I'm over 1k rounds on this thing, original ejector spring is still in there, doing it's job.  Doesn't seem like it's close to failing, but I have 5 spare springs now, and two full ejector assemblies, in the parts box. Future-proofed.  :thumbup:

So, everything is moving forward, Lower should arrive tomorrow, Barrel/BCG on order, upper cut for ejector and parts installed - Now I got a problem with mags, Keep Shooting who previously confirmed that they would ship to my 07 FFL Buddy (that can legally take delivery of >10 round mags and limit them to 10 rounds) now has gone back on their word and won't send them here so, I gotta find a source that will either ship to my FFL or pin them to 10 and sell/ship directly to me - anyone have any suggestions?

7 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

Now I got a problem with mags, Keep Shooting who previously confirmed that they would ship to my 07 FFL Buddy (that can legally take delivery of >10 round mags and limit them to 10 rounds) now has gone back on their word and won't send them here so, I gotta find a source that will either ship to my FFL or pin them to 10 and sell/ship directly to me - anyone have any suggestions?

That sucks - that's who I got all my greasegun mags from...  They run flawless, too. 

Cobray made 10-rounders in the past, as well as Masterpiece Arms.  Here are some EXPENSIVE ones!

http://www.gripsandknives.com/Military_Pattern_10_round_M3_Grease_Gun_Magazine_p/ggmag10.htm

• 3 months later...

Well I tried to shoot mine today with no results. I loaded the magazine and couldn’t close the bolt. Couldn’t then drop the mag. It’s in there, loaded, and is not coming out. It may stay that way till after AZ. Not much time between now and departure. Was bummed but my new glock 43 turned my frown upside down. Was very pleased with the accuracy and control of this lil pistol 

That mag is over-inserted, brother - yank that fucker outta there.  Vise it, like we talked about.  The back of the mag is jamming up that BHO, and screwing you.  You should never see feedlips on the mag sticking up into the ejection port opening.

Vise.  Gorilla.  Yank.  Scream.  Yank harder.  BAM!  It's out.  :thumbup:

You know this drill - go Full-On Caveman on that motherfucker.  :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

Check that mag close - it's a injection molded plastic piece - make sure that mag stop in it is right, it might not be...  These pistol-caliber Oly mags don't have over-insertion tabs on them, so that's not uncommon.  

• 4 months later...