• Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS build

LEAD PIPE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, LEAD PIPE said:

Sorry I did say empty receiver but I guess it does have some parts. 

You did clearly state that all you had was the receiver.  That's all you bought.  Doesn't matter what you bought, or what parts we looked at in pics, and self-determined that you added them, if we assumed that you bought a true stripped lower.  This is all you said, right in your first post...

On 7/25/2022 at 12:11 PM, LEAD PIPE said:

Several years ago I lived in CT and bought a DPMS receiver before they were banned. I started to think about building this gun but learned that DPMS went out of business. Does anyone know where I can purchase a kit for this gun, all I have is the receiver. Am I out of luck here?
Thanks!

Now, it doesn't matter if it was a stripped receiver or not, I simply tried to tell you how to determine the difference, if it was sold as a stripped lower, or if you have a teken-apart gun.  Doesn't matter anyway, it's the same quality receiver.

This isn't an attack on you - I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about stripped, not stripped, what parts you have.  I don't understand why it's such a big deal...

Nobody is freaking out my man.  My OCD for complete clarity to prevent misunderstanding kicked in when I noticed Lead Pipe had parts installed on his lower and people were recommending pieces he didn't really need.  A complete lower parts kit would certainly fix him up and then he would have spare parts that eventually can cell divide and become another complete rifle.  We know that happens!   👍

I just received the parts I need for the lower. I went back and found the paperwork, I should have done this first but with the recent move my stuff was all over the place. I purchased this receiver in March of 2013, based on the pictures can anyone tell if it’s first generation? I just assumed it was. 

Thanks again!

Okay, sorry since I only have the lower high and low profile don’t come into play. I talked to Aero and they said that the tolerances on the older receivers aren’t great and they can’t be sure that the parts won’t fit my receiver. So my plan now is to buy the parts, try them and if they don’t fit buy a stripped Aero receiver from them and get rid of the old DPMS receiver. Does this plan sound good?

3 hours ago, shooterrex said:

The link I posted above for the lower parts set is either DPMS or Remington after they bought DPMS.

Aero's customer service doesn't seem to have the most accurate information about the large frame AR's.

Thanks for this. I think I am set now. I will keep you guys posted. 

So I went with the Aero lower unit kit. Wasn’t to difficult. Everything seemed to fit except for the grip it’s tight to the receiver except in the area of the tail.  The next thing I’m going to buy is the stock, tube and buffer spring. When I watch build videos a lot of the malfunctions during the range test are because of the “buffer spring.” Is there anyway to avoid this? Any recommendations, please link. Looking for an adjustable. 
Thanks!

3C2913BB-2667-49B7-AD5B-FDDA1A832E83.jpeg

585F0E17-2471-43DC-BC76-27F54EF7FEA7.jpeg

0063F18E-91F1-4D08-AB05-57F7B9F3D8F2.jpeg

•  
On 8/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

So I ordered the armalite system with the stock and I’m researching complete uppers. When I look at the description it says

• Low Profile Gas Block and Rifle Length Gas Tube
  • Low Profile Gas Block and Mid-Length Gas Tube

Seems to depend on barrel length. Will it matter which one I get?
thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, jim3326 said:

You'll need to buy/ borrow an armorers wrench.

MAG535_00.jpg

^^^  This one is by far the best one out there, by the way.  I've broken many over the years.  But I haven't broken this one yet, and I've had it for years now.  It has my full support. 

• 4 weeks later...