• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS build

LEAD PIPE

Several years ago I lived in CT and bought a DPMS receiver before they were banned. I started to think about building this gun but learned that DPMS went out of business. Does anyone know where I can purchase a kit for this gun, all I have is the receiver. Am I out of luck here?
Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might add a little hassle but but a pre-ban receiver like that might pull in some extra money to someone that still lives one of those places, could sell it on gunbroker and get enough to buy an Aero receiver set, maybe two if the right bidders see it. you would also be doing your part providing a chance for someone to arm themselves with a proper rifle where they live.

But otherwise here's an Aero link;

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-ar308/upper-receivers/stripped-uppers

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Might add a little hassle but but a pre-ban receiver like that might pull in some extra money to someone that still lives one of those places, could sell it on gunbroker and get enough to buy an Aero receiver set, maybe two if the right bidders see it. you would also be doing your part providing a chance for someone to arm themselves with a proper rifle where they live.

But otherwise here's an Aero link;

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-ar308/upper-receivers/stripped-uppers

How is it “pre banned” based on the serial number?  In CT you had to register the serial number before a certain date to be legal, but it voids once you no longer own it. I though I would be there forever but the Crazyness drove me to Florida. 

Thanks for the links do they have an upper that fits that’s all assembled, with the barrel and bolt? Maybe I shouldn’t have used the term “build.” I don’t want it to be to involved 

1 hour ago, LEAD PIPE said:

Yeah they thought of everything, except banning the mini 14. So with this complete upper and the lower parts someone else posted that’s all I’ll need? Do most people have 16” barrels on the AR 10’s thanks again for the help!!

A 16 inch barrel will easily do what you stated for a goal and much more.  It can easily reach out more than 500 yards accurately.  

In addition to the complete upper and lower parts kit, you will need a buffer, tube and spring.  This will get you a reliable recoil system including the stock.  This will work fine with your DPMS lower.  If you want a fixed stock, there are many options that can be reliable.  Just ask before you buy.

8 hours ago, LEAD PIPE said:

How is it “pre banned” based on the serial number?  In CT you had to register the serial number before a certain date to be legal, but it voids once you no longer own it. I though I would be there forever but the Crazyness drove me to Florida. 

Don't know if it's pre-ban, myself of not, because Remington killed all the old-skool DPMS information when they bought them.  Google searches can still turn up old DPMS serial number databases, but not always.  Worth a shot.

I'll tell you this with absolute certainty, though - When DPMS was in production, every single - and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE -of their stripped LR-308 lower receivers, that were EVER offered for sale straight from them - they delineated the stripped lowers that they made, from the full-assembled guns that they made.  On every single one of their stripped LR-308 lowers that they ever offered for sale, they stamped a capital letter "K" at the end of the serial number.

If you do NOT have that "K" at the end of your serial number, then the lower that you bought was never offered, straight from DPMS, as a stripped lower.  Ever.  What you have purchased is a lower that someone stripped DOWN to a lower receiver, and sold.  It was never sold, straight from DPMS as a stripped lower, unless it had that :"K: at the end of the serial string.

That right there is solid information.  Take it to the bank.

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't know if it's pre-ban, myself of not, because Remington killed all the old-skool DPMS information when they bought them.  Google searches can still turn up old DPMS serial number databases, but not always.  Worth a shot.

I'll tell you this with absolute certainty, though - When DPMS was in production, every single - and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE -of their stripped LR-308 lower receivers, that were EVER offered for sale straight from them - they delineated the stripped lowers that they made, from the full-assembled guns that they made.  On every single one of their stripped LR-308 lowers that they ever offered for sale, they stamped a capital letter "K" at the end of the serial number.

If you do NOT have that "K" at the end of your serial number, then the lower that you bought was never offered, straight from DPMS, as a stripped lower.  Ever.  What you have purchased is a lower that someone stripped DOWN to a lower receiver, and sold.  It was never sold, straight from DPMS as a stripped lower, unless it had that :"K: at the end of the serial string.

That right there is solid information.  Take it to the bank.

Okay thanks, is that a good or bad thing?

33 minutes ago, LEAD PIPE said:

Also, are there any good videos or websites that have detailed instructions on installing all the parts in the lower receiver? I’ve never done it before. Any special tools needed?
thanks

Here's a whole bunch of things I bookmarked when I first started doing AR-15 style rifles.  The LR-308 lower is essentially the same method.

ARFCOM guide

Vimeo how-to video

PSA video

There used to be a bunch of YouTube videos, but it looks like YouTube took them all down.

3 hours ago, RacerX said:

You might need a really small (I forget what size) allen wrench for your bolt release(some use a pin, some use an allen screw).

All DPMS LR-308 lowers use a threaded pin for the bolt catch.  They are the ones that started that.

Ummmm, guys.  Unless I'm really missing something here, take a close look at the pictures Lead Pipe posted of his lower.  It has the bolt catch and mag release already installed, along with the pivot pin!  It ain't a striiped lower!   He doesn't need a full lower parts kit unless he truly wants to go that route.   He needs a trigger, a safety, and a hinge pin, along with the complete buffer system, stock, and grip.   Done!     Just sayin'   unless I'm missing something.   :thumbup:

Edited by dpete