• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 can Canon

sketch

Website says: WARNING: There is a limited blank offering due to the pin that prevents live ammo from loading. Shorter blanks are necessary to operate this system.

Those M82 blanks look to be rather long; perhaps made long to simulate a projectile and make them feed better. M200 5.56 blanks, are also made from extra long brass. Shown compared to one formed with Hornady dies from standard 5.56 brass.

Based on what's written there; I assume one would need to make your own blanks with the Hornady dies from standard .308/7.62 brass (not the extra long neck brass blanks use/are made with).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011015254

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/544591-hornady-2-die-set-blank-cartridge.html

IMG_7860.JPG

The mil spec blanks look similarly long to standard ammo; so it's likely they won't chamber due to the safety pin that prevents users from loading actual live rounds. 

Edited by Lane

13 hours ago, Lane said:

M200 5.56 blanks, are also made from extra long brass. Shown compared to one formed with Hornady dies from standard 5.56 brass.

M200s feed fine in the 5.56 Can Cannon, even with the new-and-improved (recalled original) barrel, with the "lawyer pin" in the chamber - to obstruct live rounds from feeding.  That was a BATFE game that was played, right there, on the original Can Cannon.  You couldn't fire a live round from the damn thing, originally, unless you wanted, or intended, to blow yourself up.  BATFE had their way, though, and the manufacturer countered them with a solution that BATFE didn't think they'd come up with.  I sent my original barrel in, got the new one - and the change didn't really matter, for shooting M200s, at all.  The Agency got beat at their own word game.  All the sudden, from approval-to-illegal - it's legal again.

My original plan was to weld the allen bolt in the original barrel - same as a pin-and-weld on a barrel less than 16".  Same standards that The Agency used.  The manufacturer offered an answer, and I took it.  M200s, with the pin in the chamber, still run fine, hundreds of blanks later.

I'm probably buying one of these .308 Can Cannons, just to see what all this shiit is about in the first place. No reason that you shouldn't be able to run linked blank 7.62 through one of them.  De-linked, of course.

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm probably buying one of these .308 Can Cannons, just to see what all this shiit is about in the first place. No reason that you shouldn't be able to run linked blank 7.62 through one of them.  De-linked, of course.

Except for the warning stated on the website in regards to using short blanks... I couldn't find any images of said short blanks on the can cannon website.

I don't have one to test; but looking at the images of the linked 7.62 blanks, they appears to be a LOT longer than the M200 in comparison to standard 5.56 brass. The brass and star crimp appear to extend roughly the same length as a 7.62x51 with a loaded projectile (which is not true of M200 blanks). My suspicion is that is to make the 7.62 blanks feed better in a machine gun; but in the case of a can cannon, it's likely to hit the "lawyer pin".

Chopping standard M82 blanks down, and re-crimping them sounds like almost more effort than making short blanks from scratch. 

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:11 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

Set the mountain on fire? 🔥 

On 8/27/2022 at 4:49 AM, MikedaddyH said:

Wait... Didn't we already do that !

The answer is always Yes to questions (or statements) like this.

I believe that a funny quote one time was from Kate. She was trying to sleep, and heard Matt (at around 0100) saying "don't blow it up yet....let me go pee first".

This is the kind of $hit that you just can't make up.

OR, the classic. Don't waste it......spit it in my mouth.

You know who you are. :lmao:

1 hour ago, Rsquared said:

The answer is always Yes to questions (or statements) like this.

I believe that a funny quote one time was from Kate. She was trying to sleep, and heard Matt (at around 0100) saying "don't blow it up yet....let me go pee first".

This is the kind of $hit that you just can't make up.

OR, the classic. Don't waste it......spit it in my mouth.

You know who you are. :lmao:

But I always seem to get blamed for everything... Just don't know why ???