• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Etiquette?

Guest BWCustoms

Guest BWCustoms

So having ordered a JP Enterprise brake for my .308 and reading on the internet the various comments on the concussion blast and noise created I was curious if there is some unwritten etiquette at ranges in general (or perhaps just your local range) in regards to muzzle brakes?

Everywhere I read it says that using the JP will clear out the benches to the left and right.

Is it just one of those things you deal with when going to the range or is it taboo to use these at a public range?  :o

Guest BWCustoms

I think I'll print up all the replies here and keep them in my range box.

Then when someone complains I can hand it to them and say, "308AR.com says shut up".

What do you think?  <dontknow> <laughs>

I was concerned about this as well when I got my AAC Blackout brake for my AR10.  The first time I went, my wife and a buddy went with me.  They were both off to my left.  After letting a few rounds fly, I inquired as to how bad the concussion and blast was.  Nada.  They both said it wasn't even noticeable.  I suppose if someone was shooting within two feet of me, it might be different.  Her bench was about 4-5 feet from me.

In a CQB environment it might be bad.  But if that was the case, I suppose I  might have my can on anyway.

Guest BWCustoms

We are talking about:

AAC Blackout

aac_blackout_suppressor_400_dfm.jpg

vs.

JP Enterprise Tactical (Oversized)

l_452000089_3.jpg

Maybe I am completely wrong - but just at a glance wouldn't both produce very different results? (noise and concussion wise I mean)

Edit: Looks like the AAC directs all noise/gas/consussion mostly forward. Where as the JP has two rather large windows directly to the side.  Then again I am no engineer and could be completely off course with my idea.  <dontknow>

I don't want this to come across wrong, but I said BRAKE, not FLASH HIDER.  I'm well aware of the difference. Advanced Armament Corp does have both a "Blackout" flash hider and a brake. 

There is a big difference between the brake from JP and the AAC unit.  JP is just a brake, AAC is a brake AND a can mount.

This:

brake-556-51t.jpg

Maybe I am completely wrong - but just at a glance wouldn't both produce very different results? (noise and concussion wise I mean)

Edit: Looks like the AAC directs all noise/gas/consussion mostly forward. Where as the JP has two rather large windows directly to the side.  Then again I am no engineer and could be completely off course with my idea.  <dontknow>

Guest BWCustoms

Ah, OK. I did not know about the ability to put a can on it.

Nothing to take wrong - I'm not below being completely wrong on something. (I know, rare trait on the internet right?)  <laughs>

We usually park our stuff on the far end of the benches so as not to blast others too bad ....our range is under a big pavilion with twentysome benches...shooting under a roof compounds the muzzle brake noise....don't know which is worse, the FSC30 or the Benny Cooley....we usually set up a couple benches apart and if someone sets at one by us we warn them....just to be polite..

I can report that at our range (open, no awning) the AAC Blackout Brake didn't seem too bad.  My wife has one on her 5.56, and I didn't think her's was too bad either (just for reference for those wondering about the 5.56 model.)

I have, so far, had no complaints.  But it would have to be a really busy day to fill all the benches at the club I belong to.  So I have no other experience as far as having a stranger sit down at the next bench over.