• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mark's First Build

MarkLeupold

Got the new rifle put together and out to the range today for the first time. I did make some modifications to the original plan, specifically the barrel, and picked up a Lilja 16.25", 3 groove, 8 twist instead. I also swapped the H2 for an H3 buffer as is recommended around here. This barrel has a .750" gas block journal and a .089" gas port. 

The gas and recoil system is as follows:

• 16.25" barrel (measured from the end of the receiver extension to the muzzle), .750 gas block journal, .089" port, midlength (11-3/4" long gas tube) gas system
  • JP FMOS carrier
  • LAW folder mechanism (I figure the little doohickey at the rear adds a couple ounces to the reciprocating mass)
  • A5 receiver extension (7-5/8" depth)
  • H3 buffer (3-1/4" long)
  • Tubb's AR-10 Flat Wire

Boresighted, zeroed, then put three shots under an inch at 100. The next five went in two inches (but if you take that pesky flier out, the other four were inside .75"). 

IMG_20230121_115927.thumb.jpg.80859a121443f062bdafcc8647ae5278.jpg

Made easy hits out to 600 yards today with GGG .308 175gr Sierra MatchKing ammo, but the biggest thing about this build is how soft-shooting it is! I started shooting long range with a Remington 700 SPS in .308 back when I was in junior high. The thing probably only weighed 9 pounds or so and I remember that thing feeling like it was kicking the snot out of me. Granted, I have become a more seasoned shooter since then and learned to handle recoil a lot better, but this thing just felt so smooth and light. It was awesome!

I think I've got the large-frame bug...

1931726663_IMG_20230121_115403(2).thumb.jpg.bdcea6851d8a40e48e01ecb16c117e88.jpg

• 3 weeks later...