• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Questions on AR10

I am about to start building an AR10, I already have my lower, I am looking at this upper from Armalite, it's a U10A4BNMF $1049.00, I want to build a 20" rifle and not a carbine, I was looking at this upper it's a Super SASS 10002025F $1814.00, only difference I can tell is the adjustable gas block and quad rail seems to be special for it and the barrel is ceramic coated black for roughly $800.00 more. You can get the quad rail and adjustable gas block for 485.00, then I priced some Duracoat shake & bake for 29.95, this way I could do my own, any suggestions. Is the adjustable gas block that important?? I am in the process of finishing the lower at this time, so any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I didn't research the uppers you listed, so I'm shooting from the hip here. Not sure about the com patability of the components your describing, in order to assemble the upper yourself, but Unless your planning to run a suppressor, or switch to a low mass BCG, you really should have no need for an adjustable gas block.

Regarding the gas block: That was one of my discussions with JP. It's his opinion that most 308 AR's/AR-10's are over gassed and can benefit from and adjustable gas block. Aside from being over gassed many shooters use ammo designed for bolt actions that ammo in many cases has a different pressure curve than ammo designed specifically for these weapons. These platforms were designed to operate with specific military loads. We the consumer runs everything we can through them.

My lower I have is Armalite. Those uppers are Armalite, so there shouldn't be any compatibility problems I hope. I had read that some AR10's had problems cycling some ammo, that's why I was considering the gas block, no I wont be using a suppressor. I am new to .308's, just looking for some good info, before I spend money. At this point I haven't even researched the best grain ammo to shoot through one of these. So there would or wouldn't be a benefit from the adjustable gas block??

Based on Imschur's post, perhaps it would be an advantage, if you were able to tailor your gas impulse to match your handloads bt using an adjustable gas block. I haven't used them on any of my .308 AR's, only small platform AR's with low mass BCG's used in competition. On my .308's I've used heavier buffers with non adjustable GB's and have seen no indications that my BCG is bottoming out and doing any damage to the buffer/tube. Certainly, an adjustable GB would allow you to set the gas impulse to the minimum needed to cycle the action. 

IIRC, the only two positions on the Armalite SASS gas block are normal and supressed. If you have no plans to add a supressor to your build, then it's really unnecessary. Generally, Armalite makes a quality gun for the money. However if you're looking at the SASS upper, you might also want to look at Noveske Rifle Works uppers as well. They're in the same price range as the SASS upper, have an adjustable gas block, and are built using the Armalite AR10 spec. 

As RJM states, the Armalite (and the Noveske) GB are intended for switching back and forth between 2, or 3 settings, Normal, suppressed, closed, and are not really fully adjustable. If you wanted to fine tune your gas impulse to match specific ammo as Imschur suggests, You would need to use one of the screw in adjustable GB's like offered by JP Rifles or PRI. Of course those GB's are not quickly adjustable between different settings, more like you go out to the range, and adjust it until the gun cycles with your desired ammo, and then leave it alone.

Also I have another question, is a SST barrel overkill?? What do most AR10 owners have??

It depends. If you're looking to wring every iota of accuracy out of the rifle and you're looking to shoot targets at 1000+ yards, then an SS barrel would be a good choice. If you're looking to build a good general purpose rifle then you might be better served by a CMV barrel with a chrome lining or nitride treatment. It'll certainly be less expensive than an SS barrel.

Wow, many thanks to all of ya'll who responded. Thanks for the heads up on the gas block, based on all of that, I'm going to skip it. I will definitely be going with the SST upper, I do want every bit of accuracy I can squeeze out of it. I will be posting some pics of this build as I go along. For now, I just ordered a Superior Shooting Systems buffer spring, Ergo flat dark earth ambi grip with shelf plate, flat dark earth magpul PRS stock, enidine buffer and a Geissele trigger from Brownells, I am also going to do a ambi selector as I am a lefty, this should knock out my lower or should I say update what I already have. What do ya'll think about my selections so far?? Thanks for the warm welcome also.

...enidine buffer and a Geissele trigger from Brownells

As important as a good, true barrel, a good trigger will go a LONG way to giving you small groups at distance. Geissele is an excellent choice. Hydraulic buffer? Not so much. They tend to wear out quickly and they don't give consistant performance throughout the full spectrum of weather - the buffer tends to make the rifle sluggish in cold weather due to the hydraulic fluid.

Retired, ya know I didn't even think about the buffer in cold weather, but you have an excellent point, any fluid is thicker in cold weather. I was just looking at something to help reduce recoil, guess I will pass on the "Enidine" piece, especially at $100.00, wearing out quick and being sluggish in cold weather, will post pics soon, God Bless all, thanks.

Ok, I have a new question. I ordered and received a Geissele SSA trigger from Brownell's, has anyone on here ever used one? Then, I done a little more research I developed my second question, I found that they sell a Geissele SSA-E, can this one be used in my AR10, I assume that Aramlite uses the small .154 dia trigger pins and has anyone used this one, key differences, thanks for any help.

Retired, ya know I didn't even think about the buffer in cold weather, but you have an excellent point, any fluid is thicker in cold weather. I was just looking at something to help reduce recoil, guess I will pass on the "Enidine" piece, especially at $100.00, wearing out quick and being sluggish in cold weather, will post pics soon, God Bless all, thanks.

I don't find the recoil of a .308 AR to be that punishing, especially after "growing up" with bolt guns and the M14/M21/M1A. I'd recommend running the OEM buffer for a little while to get your own feel for the recoil. If it's a bit stout for you, simply use a heavier buffer and stiffer buffer spring vice the hydraulic buffer.

I don't find the recoil of a .308 AR to be that punishing, especially after "growing up" with bolt guns and the M14/M21/M1A. I'd recommend running the OEM buffer for a little while to get your own feel for the recoil. If it's a bit stout for you, simply use a heavier buffer and stiffer buffer spring vice the hydraulic buffer.

there's always the carrier weight system too. i just got one and installed it in my pws mk214, and other than being much better on the brass it also dimmed recoil to 5.56 levels  :D

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12720/Product/AR-15-CARRIER-WEIGHT-SYSTEM

The first thing I did was put a Limbsaver butt pad on my DPMS factory rifle.  The pad needed a few mods,  but that was easy.  Limbsaver has 4 standard shapes;  one of them is within a milimeter or two around the sides and 2 - 3 MM long at one end.  Almost a perfect fit.  No felt recoil at all.  Wearing a T-shirt.

What about the Noveske N6 upper, vs the Armalite SST upper, lots of money between the two, is there really that big of a difference? I am trying to build a very accurate rifle, give me your thoughts folks.

The Devil's in the details. Being a much smaller shop, Noveske doesn't produce as many rifles/uppers as a large company like Armalite. While it means that Noveske's are more expensive, it also means that more time was taken in building the rifle; I've never heard of anyone complaining about an out-of-spec Novske.

I've used Noveske's in the past, and found them to be brilliantly built. As far as barrels go, Noveske uses a proprietary button to rifle their barrels which gives the lands a slightly different shape. Noveske says this shape increases the longevity and accuracy of their barrels. They also change out their buttons more frequently than most barrel makers, to ensure sharp, consistant grooving.

Noveske also uses a different chamber spec, from what I've read it's between a standard chamber and a true match chamber.

IMO, the Armalite SS barrel is very good, but the Noveske is better.