• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best 308 AR setup

USMC1996

1.) Buy MA-TEN Upper Monolithic & MA-TEN Lower

2.) Get all the lower internals from DPMS

3.) Get all the upper internals from DPMS

4.) Get the 24" SS Bull Barrel from DPMS

5.) Get Magpul PRS ($185 if you look carefully, do NOT pay $240+ for this!!!)

6.) Bi-Pod & Optics (Mid Grade)  Unless you are special forces I have $50 bipods that work just as good as those $125+ bipods!!!!

7.) Profit?  (Should be under or around $2500)

1.) Buy MA-TEN Upper Monolithic & MA-TEN Lower

2.) Get all the lower internals from DPMS

3.) Get all the upper internals from DPMS

4.) Get the 24" SS Bull Barrel from DPMS

5.) Get Magpul PRS ($185 if you look carefully, do NOT pay $240+ for this!!!)

6.) Bi-Pod & Optics (Mid Grade)  Unless you are special forces I have $50 bipods that work just as good as those $125+ bipods!!!!

7.) Profit?  (Should be under or around $2500)

Just got my Mega upper and lower and this will the be the route I am going.

something to give you a frame of reference. This is a good price for one of these.

www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?                                                  ubb=showflat&Number=3093139#Post3093139

How much does a set of AR tools add?

My purchase of a DPMS factory rifle was not on purpose,  but the cost trade-off was very much to my benefit.  With a nominal $300 MidwayUSA scope (Mine is a Nikon,  but there are many others and I have a different brand scope on each of my rifles,  all from MidwayUSA on sale) and a handful of cheap & easy small parts,  the whole thing is still well under $2000.  There is a picture somewhere in this forum and many posts describing my mods to the rifle.

At the time of this writing,  a $300 scope is an excellent scope.  Most will have 'Lifetime' warranties and are very close to as good as anything else on the market at any price.  A scope costing $1000+ will have an edge but that edge is very very marginal. (This statement about scope performance/quality is taken from a comment in a major gun magazine article.  The person talking was well placed within the gun optics industry.)

I shoot with the forearm/free-float tube resting on sandbags and the rest resting on me.  I get groups at 100 yards easily within an inch.  I know that if I got serious and learned more about proper shooting technique,  the groups might easily make one ragged hole.  It would be interesting to see what the rifle could do if it were in a high quality mechanical rest,  but I have no intention of spending the money to find out.

Simmons WTC  6-24x50  $109.00 all day long at Midway.

This was one of my LR308's from about 2 years ago.

Glass is awesome. Just as clear as its $800 counter-part. If you aren't in a combat zone don't buy into the hype! (Unless money is of no object then go nuts!)

I think it cost me $1.6K-$1.8K for this setup.

dscf1088h.jpg

dscf1087op.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Simmons WTC  6-24x50  $109.00 all day long at Midway.

This was one of my LR308's from about 2 years ago.

Glass is awesome. Just as clear as its $800 counter-part. If you aren't in a combat zone don't buy into the hype! (Unless money is of no object then go nuts!)

I think it cost me $1.6K-$1.8K for this setup.

dscf1088h.jpg

dscf1087op.jpg

Clearly, you haven't peered through a good $800 optic or you wouldn't have made that statement. The Simmons doesn't come anywhere close to comparing to the glass of the Vortex PST, Bushnell Elite, Sightron SIII, or Super Sniper. That is why they are priced in the neighborhood of $800 whereas you can pick up the Simmons from MidwayUSA for $100.

If the Simmons is all you can afford, there's nothing wrong with that. However, for you to say that it's "hype" to spend $800 on an optic if you're not in a combat zone...that's simply asinine. If spending $800 on an optic is considered to be "hype", what does it mean for me since I spent nearly $6,000 on (3) NightForce optics?

If you're punching paper, ringing steel, or hunting at distances out to 100yds the Simmons will work just fine for you, as long as you don't have a lot of mirage. If you're shooting beyond 100yds, the Simmons will quickly lose its clarity and won't be of use for anything other than a club. The glass of Simmons can't touch that of an $800 optic.

Go take a look through a Vortex PST, Bushnell Elite, Sightron SIII, or Super Sniper and then get back to me on the Simmons being every bit as good.

Clearly, you haven't peered through a good $800 optic or you wouldn't have made that statement. The Simmons doesn't come anywhere close to comparing to the glass of the Vortex PST, Bushnell Elite, Sightron SIII, or Super Sniper. That is why they are priced in the neighborhood of $800 whereas you can pick up the Simmons from MidwayUSA for $100.

If the Simmons is all you can afford, there's nothing wrong with that. However, for you to say that it's "hype" to spend $800 on an optic if you're not in a combat zone...that's simply asinine. If spending $800 on an optic is considered to be "hype", what does it mean for me since I spent nearly $6,000 on (3) NightForce optics?

If you're punching paper, ringing steel, or hunting at distances out to 100yds the Simmons will work just fine for you, as long as you don't have a lot of mirage. If you're shooting beyond 100yds, the Simmons will quickly lose its clarity and won't be of use for anything other than a club. The glass of Simmons can't touch that of an $800 optic.

Go take a look through a Vortex PST, Bushnell Elite, Sightron SIII, or Super Sniper and then get back to me on the Simmons being every bit as good.

All that rant and you missed the part where it was a generic statement with no specific yardage in mind.

What you meant to do was ask "At what distance do you state your comparison LLArms?" ...not have a knee jerk reaction and somehow insinuate I can't afford better glass nor have I ever had my hands on any.

Also, the Simmons is good out far beyond 100 yards, but I think we both know you know that, but rants are so much more fun when exaggerations are utilized.

:'(

Edit: And I'd say I used that Simmons (when I had it) to punch gongs and paper just as well as the other guys sporting the higher end optics at distances far greater than "100 yards". However I get the feeling you will either call me a liar or claim the other shooters just suck.

All that rant and you missed the part where it was a generic statement with no specific yardage in mind.

What you meant to do was ask "At what distance do you state your comparison LLArms?" ...not have a knee jerk reaction and somehow insinuate I can't afford better glass nor have I ever had my hands on any.

Also, the Simmons is good out far beyond 100 yards, but I think we both know you know that, but rants are so much more fun when exaggerations are utilized.

:'(

Edit: And I'd say I used that Simmons (when I had it) to punch gongs and paper just as well as the other guys sporting the higher end optics at distances far greater than "100 yards". However I get the feeling you will either call me a liar or claim the other shooters just suck.

I didn't insinuate anything. In fact, I was trying to get the point across that I respect that you might not be able to afford anything other than Simmons but I guess I failed miserably at that.

What I was implying was to say the Simmons is as good as the high dollar optics would be untrue, from anyones viewpoint who's had the opportunity to see for themselves. If it's good enough for your application and it works for anything you need it for, great! It just doesn't compare to the quality or clarity of the higher priced counterparts.

You are incorrect in your assumption that I was call you a liar. That isn't something I take kindly to being called and I don't make a habit of referring to someone as such. I wasn't there so I'll take your word for it but, again, it all comes down to personal preference.

I don't NEED a NightForce but it sure makes shooting at distance that much easier when you have a top grade optic. As a rule of thumb, the optic should cost at least half of what is invested in the rifle alone.

Before the NXS, I had a Hawke Sport Optics 4-16x50 and it's only a $400 optic but I was pleased with it. That is the only 'bird of prey' brand of optic that I would recommend for someone on a tight budget.

Good luck finding a PST. All the local vendors around here (Here being SW OK/NE TX) are out and most online vendors like SWFA and Midway have them back ordered. The PST has become so popular that Vortex can't make enough of them.

You might check with Jay at SportOptics.com as they carry a pretty good supply of optics.

Good luck finding a PST. All the local vendors around here (Here being SW OK/NE TX) are out and most online vendors like SWFA and Midway have them back ordered. The PST has become so popular that Vortex can't make enough of them.

I spent many hours researching/compairing scopes in the 500-1000 range and from what I gathered the WEAVER TACTICAL line of scopes are equial to or slightly better then the Vortex Pst, the Vortex has a unbeatable warranty , zero stop turrets & weighs less. The Weaver has better glass,better repeatability , dual color illuminated reticles & cost less. I chose the Weaver mostly because I prefered their reticle.