• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Back end ripped out of buffer tube

texas30cal

OK. I did some looking and found slash's buffer chart it shows a weight of 5.4 oz. and 5.2" in lenght, what I have only weighs 4 oz. and is 5 5/16" long, I am thinking this may be the problem, also the buffer tube is not the full length of the stock it has a spacer that was behind it that is about 1" long. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The rifle receiver extension (same for A1 or A2, 5.56 or .308 AR) requires a 5/8" spacer when you run it with an A2 length stock.  It also requires the longer screw (over the screw for an A1 stock). 

You kinda stated that you weren't running the spacer, but you almost had to have been running the longer screw - or it wouldn't have even attached to the receiver extension.  This the case?

Yes I did have the spacer in there, I thought the length of the buffer was odd too according to slash's chart. Could the extra length be the reason this happened due to running into the bottom of the hole? What about the weight? Could too light have made it even worse? On midways site they show a dpms rifle tube with a spacer and a olympic rifle tube without the spacer, does this mean the hole in the olympic is drilled/bored deeper? Or is it the same and the end of the tube is just that much thicker?

I have the same buffer (measures 5-5/16"). I don't think the buffer is the issue. I think you are getting too much compression from your buffer spring. Are you positive that you are using the longer fixed stock spring, and not a carbine spring? Could the tube have been faulty?

I say the spring is too short or too weak. It's allowing your buffer to slam back too hard. How does the buffer look? Any damage you can you pictures of?

I agree , we need photo's . I have personally never heard of a back end of a receiver extension breaking off , doesn't mean it can't or won't happen .

I'm going to assume this is a 308 rifle , As said the spacer & longer screw is for the longer A2 stock . To me it sounds like the receiver extension was damaged or weak before or during assembly , but that's just speculation .

I have a DPMS rifle spring & buffer in my 20" 308 rifle & can take measurements if needed.

No damage to the buffer at all, sorry have never learned how to post pics, but I did double check the weight and it is 4.2 ounces, it may be the wrong spring it measures 11 1/2" and .070" wire dia. Under magnification it also appears that the bore of the buffer tube was not concentric to the o.d., one side was very thin and opposite was much thicker, if the buffer weight and spring are ok then I believe it was just a weak tube

... it may be the wrong spring it measures 11 1/2" and .070" wire dia... I believe it was just a weak tube

I think you might have a combo of two issues. I think the buffer is fine. Your spring seems a little short. I don't have a standard spring to measure, but I'll measure my CS flat spring as soon as I get home. Did you get your buffer assembly as a kit, or piece by piece? Is there a possibility you are using a carbine length spring with a full length buffer?

well I don't know why I didnt think of this earlier but I went to the DPMS website and it lists both pieces AND their specs, spring should be 12 3/4" (I have 11 1/2") and buffer is 5.285 long (I have 5.315) it weighs 5.4 ounces and mine is 4.2. That was easy I had never looked at their online store before, good reference tool, thank's for all of the responses and I will post after I get the parts in and go to the range.

If you have a 4 oz. buffer in a .308 rifle something is wrong.

I've done extensive testing and I recommend using ArmaLite AR10 buffer springs in all .308 ARs.  Until I can talk Wolff into making .308 springs the ArmaLites are the best available.

DPMS .308 springs are notoriously weak and inconsistent.  And that is assuming that the assembly monkeys at DPMS installed the correct spring in the first place.  I've seen several factory DPMS .308 rifles with AR15 rifle buffer springs. smiley_freak.gif

Measuring the relaxed length is not an accurate way to compare/identify springs.  Counting the number of coils is much better.

One last thing - Stay away from the flat wire springs.  Far, far away.

One last thing - Stay away from the flat wire springs.  Far, far away.

First I want to point out how excited I am that you joined our site. Welcome! Your expertise in this subject is something that was missing from our circle of experience.

What makes you turn so harshly away from flat springs? Several of us have and them. What is your negative experience with them? Currently in my 308, I use a Tubb CS flat spring and Enidine buffer (yeah, I drank the koolaid). In your experience, do you have a negative opinion about this combo? Thanks again.

First I want to point out how excited I am that you joined our site. Welcome! Your expertise in this subject is something that was missing from our circle of experience.

What makes you turn so harshly away from flat springs? Several of us have and them. What is your negative experience with them? Currently in my 308, I use a Tubb CS flat spring and Enidine buffer (yeah, I drank the koolaid). In your experience, do you have a negative opinion about this combo? Thanks again.

I use a CS flat wound and would also like to know why your opinion of that spring is so low... I've never had any problem whatsoever with mine, and it has actually fixed problems with dented case necks on one of my rifles.

I've done extensive testing with various buffer springs for both .223 and .308.  The flat wire springs did not perform well.  Spring rate, set, and service life are all poor compared to most other buffer springs, even cheap OEM units.

I recommend Wolff XP springs for all .223 applications and ArmaLite AR10 springs for all .308s.  Several spring manufacturers have contacted me about carrying their products. Some offered their wares at substantially lower cost (and therfore higher profit potential) than Wolff.  I declined, because I want to sell the best, not the cheapest.  My customers deserve no less.

I've had several DPMS owners call me after they received their orders.  They were convinced that I'd sent the wrong spring because operating the CH required significantly more force.  My response - That's because the ArmaLite springs are significantly better.  8)

In the same light, I recently took my new AR15 out to test fire it. I was getting a FTF after every shot. I checked the BCG, the CWS, the buffer and the CS spring. In the end I just replaced the CS spring with a standard carbine spring from an old Colt M4. Since the spring only cost me about $25, I'm thinking of cutting a few links and trying it again.

In the same light, I recently took my new AR15 out to test fire it. I was getting a FTF after every shot. I checked the BCG, the CWS, the buffer and the CS spring. In the end I just replaced the CS spring with a standard carbine spring from an old Colt M4. Since the spring only cost me about $25, I'm thinking of cutting a few links and trying it again.

I would have removed the CWS and tried it with a good spring.

• 3 weeks later...