• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Raddlock

Yamadawg

California DOJ hasn't recognized the Raddlock specifically. While they say the "bullet button" is ok, the Raddlock is a little different.

The Raddlock can switch from a bullet button to a standard mag release.

There is an argument that if you have a tool handy that could be used to unlock the Raddlock, then DoJ may still consider the rifle an "Assault Weapon". All because of the easy access to the tool. Same theory as having a "pistol" upper and a your standard lower in the same case and calling it a SBR. Even if they aren't connected, it's their proximity they argue.

Thanks for the input Robocop,

I understand that its not approved by DOJ for CA. The way I look at it being a gun owner in CA is that we take a chance no matter what we do and how many precautions we take to stay legal. You will eiether run itno a cop that knows his stuff or one that will ruin your day. Thats Cali for you  :D

Im just looking for the campatibility with the Raddlock since its an AR-15 bullet button. Ive gotten a lot of 'yea it shoudl work' but that doesnt do it for me.

But thanks again, alot of people will over look the not approved part.

What's the difference? You still have to use a tool!! Normal bullet button tool is in close proximity too. It should be the same logic for the raddlock mode change tool. And besides what if they can't find a tiny flat head driver because you don't have one with you? For one thing I don't know why little flathead is required for and AR in the field so just don't keep one with you.

Darn it now you guys worry me do I have to get a regular bullet button now?

KALIFORNIA SUX!!!!

the difference is the way these things are worded and interpreted by the lawmakers writing and interpreting the laws in the courts. be careful. i hate ridiculous laws as much as the next guy trust me. i mean, come on, collapsable stocks? the difference of 32.5" closed and 35.75" open….. really? but that's the law, so roll with it man. only we can do something with the help of our local politicians and by paying attention to upcoming legislation.

My brother unforgiven, yes if you come to Kalifornistan, it didn't matter if you reside out of this state. You have to install the stupid bullet button before you travel here with your hardware.

California is wonderful, but Kalifornistan SUX the big meaty one!!!

Edit: oh but wait, not sure about that collapsable stock thing!! edgecrusher???

unknown on your state law for collapsable stocks, but i believe if you travel interstate you need to contact the sheriffs for the counties you pass through, to notify them. i don't know if you have to modify your weapon to conform to their state laws. i can ask my fiance on that one, she's our legal council.

So then if I travel with my rifles which all have collapsable stocks and regular mag release and ambi,with Lar-8 having ambi-mag release they will be considered unlawful? <dontknow>

So, I have some information, with the caveats that (1) I only am legal counsel to edge & myself, and not to the forum or any other members; (2) any info. I provide on here should NOT to be considered legal advice; (3) no information I provide may be considered to have formed an attorney/client relationship; and (4) you should always seek particularized legal advice from a local attorney specializing in the specific issue you are facing.

That being said, 18 U.S.C. § 926A, provides as follows with respect to the interstate transportation of firearms: "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, [t]hat in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Thus, the key would appear to be twofold: (1) ensuring compliance with the laws of not only your state of origin, but also your destination state; and (2) ensuring that you understand and comply with the "accessibility" issue.

For example, in Revell v. Port Auth. of NY & NJ, 598 F.3d 128 (3rd Cir. 2010), the court concluded that Revell was NOT entitled to the protection of § 926A under the following facts: Revell was traveling by plane from Utah to Pennsylvania, but was unexpectedly waylayed in NJ. He retrieved his checked baggage that included an unloaded firearm in a locked case and ammunition in a separate locked case. Revell stayed at a hotel for one night and was arrested when law enforcement discovered he had been at the hotel with his luggage. Revell sued, claiming that he should not be subject to arrest for violation of NJ law because § 926A preempted NJ gun laws in the circumstances. The court held that Revell was not entitled to the federal law's protection because his firearm and ammunition were "readily accessible" to him during his overnight stay.

Hope this helps  <dontknow>

What should  Revell have done with his weapon & ammo? I guess he could have thrown his ammo in the garbage somewhere <dontknow> 

It's a good question, I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps Revell could have asked the hotel if they had an on-site safe, or locked up one of the boxes in his vehicle (of course, only if that were lawful in NJ!). To be uber-safe, I suppose he could have called local and/or state LE to get their opinion on how he could lawfully store overnight. I'm sure this is not the first thing anyone is thinking about when stuck in NJ on an unexpected layover.

You also remind me of something I wanted to add - not a lot of cases have come out of this federal statute yet, so I would read this particular one as an extremely conservative approach. Not that it hurts to be more safe than sorry in this context, but just because the NJ courts & the Third Circuit came down this way does not mean that other circuit courts, appeals courts, or the US Supreme Court would agree with their reasoning. The case is fairly recent, too, so it's fair to wonder whether it is still being shuffled through the appellate system.

Because you raise a good point - what are you supposed to do in order to comply if you are stuck in a place through no choosing or fault of your own and yet trying to do the right thing? And, moreover, if he had slept in his car or been driving in NJ, he would have been in compliance with this provision of § 926A: "Provided, [t]hat in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console." I would certainly argue, at minimum, that the hotel room was equivalent to a vehicle without a separate compartment in his circumstances.

When traveling through NON-gun friendly states, it's best to call ahead to the local county Sheriff's departments, of the counties you'll be traveling through.

I have traveled numerous times through New York-istan, transporting personal firearms.  They are locked up just like I'd be flying them on a commercial airline, and "not readily accessible" to a driver or passenger.  Several times, while route-planning, I've called ahead and coordinated to store my firearms in the Sheriff's department armory.  Never been turned down once.  Never been messed with once.  Tell them what time you're showing up, what you're showing up with, and how long the firearms will be there, and you'd be surprised at how accomodating they will be. 

I had one county department tell me that my plan was a bad plan, and not to show up in their county with my firearms - I changed my route.

Traveling across state lines with NFA firearms is a whole other ballgame.  Research the ATF guidelines on that stuff, and do not deviate.