• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Well, gun is dun / New Range Report

NoFail

Yeah I just couldn't stand to wait for SWFA to start shipping their new SS HD 1-6x24 scope so I picked up a U.S. Optics 1.5-6x28 FFP w/JNG MOA reticle. I got it from the snipershide.com "optics for sale" forum. I was very lucky to have been browsing that forum when I was, I got a killer deal on this optic. I got scope, Larue SPR-1.5 mount, USO flip up lens caps & sun shade all for just $800. Glass is perfect and body is in great shape, taken care of. Can you believe that? I can't!! Yeah $800  <lmao>

OK but anyway the guy was pretty local to me and he seemed like a pretty decent guy  <thumbsup>

So I'm done, I have finally crowned her today with a very nice jewel  ;D

Now to go shoot..........

post-1757-136297275579_thumb.jpg

post-1757-136297275583_thumb.jpg

post-1757-136297275585_thumb.jpg

Now go out & shoot with her.

I am this weekend :)

I ordered me up some Final Finish bullets for break in. Comes with 5 steps with 10 bullets each step. Of course 1st step being the grainiest and they taper down from there. The instructions say for match barrels or barrels that were hand lapped from manufacturer then only use steps 3-5, so I loaded up only those since that is what my barrel is. And the instructions say to shoot the 10 bullets in each set with thorough cleaning between each set. I was kinda surprised at that, to only clean after a whole 10 rounds each, but that is what I shall do. I have loaded up a variety of cartridges to try using Nosler ballistic, Hornady A Max & Sierra Match King bullets all 168 grain. And Nosler, Hornady Match, and Winchester brass. I loaded combinations all with IMR 4064, all 43.5 grains. Primers are Remington No. 9 1/2. I have 2 boxes of Federal Sierra Match King 168 gn to try also. I hope it goes well with my action, we will soon find out  <munch>

what hand guard is that?  its sweeeeeeeeeet

That's from JD Machine Tech in San Diego. Got it from them at a gun show for $200, regular $219. It's very light. I like this design, 14" and feels smooth in hand. I see no need to have one that is surrounded by rails. There is sufficient areas where you can add rails if you need to. I installed a 6" rail underneath to mount the AFG. Maybe I'll get a Surefire sometime and mount it up front on the side, can put 3" rail up there. And yeah, I love the way it looks too....

btate868, well you know I have been holding it a lot & the AFG feels good. It provides for me a more ergonomic hold as I don't have to rotate my wrist as much to make my hand grip happen, so it's more comfortable than gripping the naked tube. An added benefit is that, in my mind anyway, it makes the carbine look more evil, heh heh 8)

Idk maybe one needs to feel it for himself to decide.

Edit: oh but I won't use it while prone though. I was trained to keep my left hand tucked to my right breast area, or under the buttstock against the front shoulder. But that seems to be what everybody does while prone anyway.

<thumbsup>

Took her out on our first date today and she put out big time. After about 5 shots I had the adjustable gas block on a good setting and she cycled perfectly from then on. 1st 30 rounds were from the Tubbs Final Finish bullets just into the dirt berm, don't shoot for any other purpose with those, of course. Scope I had pre bore sighted so from there after the Tubbs I started with 20 of my 168 gn Hornady A Max loads w/Hornady Match cases, 43.5 gn

IMR 4064. Used all those just zeroing scope in. Somewhere in there I got a 3/4 group of 4 but was still working on zeroing elevation. But that said a lot to me.

Then I went through my 20 rounds of Nosler components I loaded all same load like Hornady. Still trying to figure out scope. I was using the paper range gives you and stuck some 1" dots on it. Those dots too small for my reticule at 100 yards, cross hairs too thick so that sucks. Looks like I need to use bigger circle stickers maybe other than black color too. So I went and used the center of paper but it's like 5.5" diameter and all black. Couldn't really see want the hell was happening in there. Used up what ammo I had brought, which was not a lot just what was mentioned. Went to get target and lots of hits in the center black but couldn't tell what were actual groups. So I need to try a more appropriate paper for this reticule I think. But so far all indications are good I think as far as accuracy/repeatability. And she runs smooth I'm so relieved. I'll post a pic of target later, I'm tired now.

Cheers