• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I have seen the future....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mounts and collars are in-stock at Precision Reflex, if that's what you're still waiting for.  <thumbsup>

Thanks Tom, if I don't hear back from Ops Inc in the next few days, I'll give them a shout. I've sent them my barrel specs but I don't know if they're working on my collar, or haven't read my e-mail yet. Either way, I'm dying to shoot this thing. Even considering having the local machine shop make me my collar so I don't have to wait on shipping, but if Ops Inc is going to give me one free of charge, that's the preferred option.

Edit: Tom do you know offhand what the nominal ID is on those collars? My barrel measures .800" from forward of the gas block to the muzzle, I'm curious as to whether those dimensions will match or will something have to be modified.

Not gonna make it, brother.  I just checked the PRI site, remembering that i'd seen the collar and brake set, but I was hunting for 5.56 parts at the time.  They don't stock the .30 cal stuff from OPS.  The 5.56 collar would work with the 12th Model, .30 cal, in fitment, but the 5.56 collars are for .750" barrels.

If you really need the collar, it would be worth it to shoot an email to the guys at ADCO, and see if they have just the collar.  If that one strikes out, you can run the 5.56 .750" collar, but something has to be modified.  ADCO can do that, no matter which way you go (reprofile barrel to .750, or machine the 5.56 collar up to .800). 

If you need to go the way of the 5.56 set, due to availability (or lack of the .30 cal parts), then I'd take the 5.56 brake off your hands, for whatever you'd need to sell it for.  <thumbsup>

PRI 5.56 OPS collar and brake:

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186716&CAT=4274

ADCO contact email:

steve@adcofirearms.com

ADCO mainpage:

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

Not gonna make it, brother.  I just checked the PRI site, remembering that i'd seen the collar and brake set, but I was hunting for 5.56 parts at the time.  They don't stock the .30 cal stuff from OPS.  The 5.56 collar would work with the 12th Model, .30 cal, in fitment, but the 5.56 collars are for .750" barrels.

If you really need the collar, it would be worth it to shoot an email to the guys at ADCO, and see if they have just the collar.  If that one strikes out, you can run the 5.56 .750" collar, but something has to be modified.  ADCO can do that, no matter which way you go (reprofile barrel to .750, or machine the 5.56 collar up to .800). 

If you need to go the way of the 5.56 set, due to availability (or lack of the .30 cal parts), then I'd take the 5.56 brake off your hands, for whatever you'd need to sell it for.  <thumbsup>

PRI 5.56 OPS collar and brake:

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186716&CAT=4274

ADCO contact email:

steve@adcofirearms.com

ADCO mainpage:

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

Thanks Tom, I'm thinking if I have any choice, I'd like to keep all the rigidity I can in my barrel, and modify the collar if at all possible. ADCO seems like the best route to go, should Ops Inc not come through in time. Thanks for the quick info brother, that's exactly what I needed to know.

That's a good call, that way - keep the barrel stiff.  It'll probably also be cheaper to ream the collar up, rather than reprofile 6" of barrel.  Makes perfect sense.  Steve @ ADCO might just have the .30 cal collars on-hand, too.  <dontknow>

Steve @ ADCO might just have the .30 cal collars on-hand, too.  <dontknow>

I've just sent him an e-mail with my barrel specs. I found out he set up this exact barrel/suppressor combo for a guy known as "garandman", so I'm betting it's a cakewalk for him to finish this thing. I can't believe my suppressor is in hand and I STILL can't shoot it yet... this has to be remedied quick-like.

Steve at ADCO is a straight awesome gunsmith.  I don't think you'd be happier with any other situation, honestly.  No kidding.  <thumbsup>

There's not a doubt in my mind that you're right. I'm going to fire off one more e-mail to both Steve and Ops Inc. Whoever answers first will probably get to make my collar for me. If neither answers back with a couple days, I'm taking the job to a local machine shop.

Well, Christmas time's a-comin, and Steve and Ops Inc both are clearly very busy, which is I think, a reflection on their reputation for good service. So rather than annoy them, I've taken my measurements and requirements to my local machine shop which is less than 5 miles away. They are really nice, really interested folks who are laughing behind their mitts because they get to make me wait a whole week for it....  <laughs>

I foresee them getting a lot of my business in the future. ;D

• 3 months later...
SO WHAT Happened? read the whole thread.......

I ended up taking a drawing to my local machine shop back in November. The poor guy is just swamped and my piece was a free-time project for him, because money wise I can't afford to make it end up on his priority list. However, I did call him last week and pitched the idea of him letting me cut the piece myself using his shop and tools, for which I will willingly pay. He agreed and when I get a day or two off, I'm going to go cut the thing myself.

• 2 months later...