• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 Criterion barrels

aval

Does anyone here have any experience with the 18.5", .308 AR, Medium Weight, 1x10, Stainless, Match Quality, FA by Criterion or the 20", .308 AR, M110, 1x12, Stainless, Threaded, Match Quality, FA by Criterion? I've been looking at these two barrels for awhile and can not decide. I'm building a rifle for mainly hunting but can not find if the M110 barrel is more accurate then the medium weight barrel, I'll deal with the extra weight if the M110 barrel is better then the lighter medium weight barrel.

post-1508-136297275933_thumb.jpg

post-1508-136297275935_thumb.jpg

I have the 16"HB with rifle length gas system & a 20" HB , both 1-10 twist & they are both phenomenal barrels . The 20" is a tack driver ( of course the Geissele trigger helps ).

If for hunting, I personally would go with the 18.5 " barrel ( they don't show any listing for the 16" any more ), it will make the rifle more field worthy ,compared to the 20", but that's just me & you won't see much , if any , difference in accuracy at hunting ranges between the two.

The next 308 I build will have an 18.5 , FA bbl. on it .

Well thank you all for replying, I was hoping that was what everybody would say. I really don't want to be hauling a boat anchor out into the woods if I didn' have too, but would for the accuracy. Thanks again. <thumbsup> Just ordered the 18.5" barrel.

Hey SS... You could always pull that FA 16" barrel off your rifle and put it up for sale. Then just put the 18.5" on your original rifle...

I may know someone who wants that barrel :drool:

ESPECIALLY SINCE I'M STILL WAITING FOR MY C.F. BARREL!!!  >:D

Ya , right , that's gonna to happen . <laughs>

I didn't see any reference made to the range issue. Although most of us here seem to have opted for the 18" barrels over the 20", if the type of hunting you expect to be doing will involve mostly long range targets, then there might be some benefit to going with the longer barrel, just for the slightly higher muzzle velocity it will give you, if not, I don't think the added weight and handling issues of the 20" would make the 18" a better choice IMO.

Jgun is right on the mark. The 20" won't make a difference till you get out to 600 yards. At that point the 18.5" will be dropping really fast due to the lower velocity.

If you're shooting that far when you hunt, the extra weight shouldn't be much of an issue.

Personally, I wish Remington would release the barrels from their R-25 models. 18.5" lightweight profile barrels. They seem excellent for hunting.

SS, you are one of the lucky few to grab those 16" FA barrels. Rumor has it that some were trying to shoot cheap soviet surplus out of theirs, and complained about cycling. Now FA only offers the 18.5". I'm double jealous because, if memory serves me, you have that barrel on a Kaiser receiver... That is also really hard to find.

The bbl. is on a SI Defense upper ,Gen. II , I think .

Mine shoots very well & the only issues I had were the , bolt catch ,in the lower & the early ,CMMG lower will not work with Magpuls . Any steel mag works fine . I have learned to live with it .

The 20" barrel will not make that much difference & if you are going with the MedWT./HB version of ether barrel , there is a quite a weight difference , if your walking around with it .

I'll take the short stiff one any day , ( we are talking about barrels here , put your mind where it belongs  <laughs>)

LTWT.,barrel 18.5" 2.4 #

MEDWT.,Barrel, 18.5 , 2.9 #

HB    , Barrel , 20 " ,  3.65 #

If I remember correctly , my 16" HB came in @ 2.8 # or some thing close to that . I know it was in between the two 18.5's.

post-154-136297275942_thumb.jpg

post-154-136297275945_thumb.jpg

You may be confusing Survivalshops build with my Kaiser with the CF barrel. Only regret I have about buying the Kaiser is that I didn't go for the rail with the forward charging handle. At the time I figured that I'd pick it up later, who knew they'd go out of business so soon. Of course, anything of their's that's propriatary (like the forward charging setup) could be a real liability if you were to ever need parts, so maybe it's not such a bad thing I didn't get one.

Survivalshop, whenever I look at your 16" barrel with the rifle gas system, I'm always amazed that it runs so well for you. It looks as though there's almost no time for the gas to cycle that thing before the bullet exits the barrel. It looks as though it needs a suppressor.  very cool though.

I've got the 18.5", it's the best barrel I've ever bought so far.

Is that the SS or lightweight CL barrel?

I just rebuilt my rifle with the CL barrel and really like the way the balance and feel have changed from the 16" DPMS AP4 barrel.  Now to get my thumb out and see how accurate it is.  Just waiting for RRA to ship their 1 piece scope mounts.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone here have any experience with the 18.5", .308 AR, Medium Weight, 1x10, Stainless, Match Quality, FA by Criterion

I've been running this exact barrel since early 2010.  It's a damn tack-driver.

First put together:

LR-30809.jpg

LR-30810.jpg

When I "finished" it, previously:

LR-308Finished.jpg

And it's initial sight-in - that barrel gets it done, if you get it done:

308Tgt1.jpg

Once I finished it, for realz...    <laughs>  Shitcanned the A2 stock, and went with the A1 and Siera Precision adjustable buttplate.

308CurrentMods4.jpg