Grilling

imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Normally I use brown sugar in the brine, but we were out, and maple syrup is too expensive to make to dilute in the brine, so I tried it this way. It gives a nice,muted sweet flavor to the fish that matches up well with the salt and the pepper. I will try it again.

Tried something new. Red Oak, because I have 6 cords of it laid up, and nothing else around right now. It is a strong smoke flavor, so I cut the wood back a bit and used lump charcoal as well. Temp was 260 for one hour to kill bacteria, then back down to 210-225 for a 12 hour smoke. We had a group my wife belongs to with their husbands over last night, and the smoked fish and pork was a hit. Got some left for myself thank goodness. Now I gotta go catch some more fish to smoke.

Edited by Sisco

Fish is good....pork is more better ..I swear Char and her butcher boy have sumthin going on...she comes home with these lil baby pork butts that ive never seen around....they only weigh like 4/5 lbs as opposed to 10 /15 lbs...so it was pulled pork again.....sheesh

rub em with Oakridge pork rub...inject the lil baby with apple juice...throw it gently in the smoker at 250

009_zps1volgkud.jpg

seven hours later when its 202 internal

013_zpscten8qju.jpg

015_zpsqicsmqeh.jpg

017_zpsqrjh89fq.jpg

appetizer

019_zpslrnivtfx.jpg

dig in...dont need no stinkin bun...just a lil sauce

022_zpsttzw7jsf.jpg      

:) Wash

Idk?!? Seems "as seen on TV" to me? Do you have a smoker easy? Or even a decent grill? If so look into the smoke daddy, wash and I both have one I've cold smoked a few things with it but I also use it as my main source of smoke when hot smoking also

Edited by shepp

you know, I think the smoke daddy was what I was looking for, but I searched for smoke gun, other terms and I never found it, that thing was the closest one. It seems like it might work ok for doing small things

I do have a pretty nice grill, plumbed into the house natural gas. I WANT to just buy a propane smoker and convert it and plumb it in, but the wife won't let me. So with the smoke daddy you just use a hole saw and permanently mount it? its a Jenn Air, basically like this

690356171_tp.jpg

so with the smoke daddy you can run it cold, but can you also run it with the grill on? or is it cold only?

Yea so what I did with my smoker ( it's like a dorm fridge) is hole sawed a hole low on the opposite side of my top vent as low as I could go. The smoke daddy you burn chips in so you can cold smoke (no heat except the smoldering chips) or say you wanted to do a shoulder or something you could turn your grill on and then start your smoke with the smoke daddy. In my head it works lol wash is the expert :)

Wash and I both have the big kahuna

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/cold-smokers/

3BACA976-940D-4F2C-B6E5-98E71568E2E8_zps

Edited by shepp

Yeppers  the big kahuna is the ticket from smoke daddy. call and talk to Dennis  the owner...he promised me he would take some money off  of them to anyone that knew me....but he fokked Shepp...only gave him a lil off....so try my name he knows me as the guy in Dallas with the green mountain smoker on the forum . Hell I redesigned the thing so it would work with green mountain smokers cause they have positive displacement in the chamber.....but I did get mine for free Ha...Shepp is king on cold smoking.

So I would think you could burn the gas/charcoal in the grill and also add smoke...one thing you will be adding chips fairly often maybe every 30/45 mins?

:) Wash

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic