• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

US ARMY looking to purchase CSASS

BLKSHEEP

They sure didn't give "interested parties" very long to respond - deadline for response in entering a product is August 14th, 2012...  :cookoo:

I'm sure KAC, Larue and LMT will enter.

(^^^ no pun intended, Drew...  <laughs>)

I know - they basically have two weeks to determine if they can make something to meet the requirement, and enter, stating they can.  Typically, the process is a hell of alot longer than that, to respond, and sometimes years before the product has to be in for "evaluation." 

This has to be some short-suspense project, with quick fielding.  <dontknow>

Based on what the major requirements are, KAC does all that in-house. 

But, can you put out 375 325 of them a month?...  I think the start was 125 a month, with the capability to do 375  325 a month.

I'll be over to your house, to help...  <thumbsup> <laughs>

I can hear Robo now..."We've been working our asses off and I know we had enough parts to build 400.  Where the hell did I put them all?  On an unrelated note altogether Tom, did you blow out the shocks in your truck?  It is riding awfully low."

<laughs>

Jon

As noted above, unless they were to come up with a new shorted receiver (not likely), Your looking at a 16 or 17" barrel. I think that to make the 9 lbs limit you might need to go with a CTR or equivilant and a light weight contour barrel. Based on the experiences of our members, it would seem that the CF barrel manufacturer's that I know of would have a tough time meeting those quota's.  I guess if you built a test gun with a heavier barrel  and weighed it, you'd be able to see how much (if any) weight needed to come off to meet the requirement.  I would think that if accuracy was the goal, you'd like a heavy contour barrel if it would make the weight.

I think that to make the 9 lbs limit you might need to go with a CTR or equivilant...

Jgun, I'll wager that the B5 Systems SOPMOD stock goes on there - it's already in the system, and they're the current SOPMOD stock contract provider.  <thumbsup>

Is the B5 lighter or shorter (collapsed) than the ones that I am familiar with, CTR,MOE,ACS,etc?  And since we're talking stocks, has anyone tried the Troy collapsing stock?

The B5 isn't any shorter than the others - just another AR carbine collapsible stock.  Not sure on weight, but I'd bet the specs on it are in that Gear Scout stock-destruction article, probably with weights.

One thing it is:  It's a genuine SOPMOD stock, and it doesn't have LMTs pricetag.  It's about half what LMT wants for their version of the SOPMOD. 

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

• 1 month later...

From what I understand KAC has this in the bag with the new SR-25. The Army just wanted to see what the rest of the market had to offer. It has a 16' barrel with a rifle length gas system and the Magpul STR stock.

The funny thing is, I was working on my MA-Ten build at the same time as KAC was working on the new SR-25 and we came up with almost the same thing.