• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help...

blwn99x

once everything has been removed from the barrel and thebarrel nut has been taken off the receiver...

use the nylon side of your nylon/brass hammer so you do not marr or dent the metal and tap it off. Do it close to the work area so when you knock it off it wont fall far either. 

so i did the PB blaster, gave one good try and my muthaFin BCM upper receiver cracked on the stand at the ejection port :wtf: :puke: :limp-wrist:

Hi Blwn    please tell me you did have the upper in the upper reciever block?  and it still happened?  <dontknow>  Wash

VLTOR, Mega Arms (make sure you get the one that matches your lower), JP Rifle and LMT all make great billet parts.

There are good forged uppers out there too. Noveske chainsaw's are affordable. Armalite and Colt started the AR revolution with forged rifle parts. A good forged upper will cost nearly as much as a billet.

Some are going to poopoo me for being elitist here, but if you want to stay away from "run of the mill" parts, steer away from Stag, BCM, Spikes, YHM, and CMMG. Yes, they are all decent companies that make fine parts. They are not considered top of the line by any stretch. Their errors are masked by massive volumes of product at low prices.

Rainier and Larue also make billet receivers.

Does Rainier actually make their billet, or is it a rebrand?

I forgot about LaRue. Another great company. Good luck finding their uppers. The LaRue "Stealth" upper is sold out everywhere I looked. LaRue is a top tier company. Their products are always in high demand.

It seems like everyone is talking billet . But... I will go out on the edge and say material is important 6061t6 is softer than 7075t6. The 7075 uppers are stronger and should be a little  more expensive. Look for this type in your search.

What was the cause beside the torque, Cross threaded or did some one put loctite on the threads ??

Just out of curiosity, you say you didn't assemble the upper. By any chance was it a factory built BCM upper? If so maybe they'd be wiling to work with you as far as replacing it? If not, why don't you either give Rainier or Spikes a call and ask what uppers will mate up well. I'm sure that they both will know, but Spikes may not be willing to recommend any upper but theirs, I'm sure John at rainier would be able (and willing) to tell you which of the ones he sells will fit your lower. It's a little late for this, but on the chance that someone did assemble it with red locktite, did you try to heat the nut  a little with a torch when it didn't want to  loosen initially?

Aero precision makes several diferent brands of uppers and lowers, Spikes is one of them.

Just out of curiosity, you say you didn't assemble the upper. By any chance was it a factory built BCM upper? If so maybe they'd be wiling to work with you as far as replacing it? If not, why don't you either give Rainier or Spikes a call and ask what uppers will mate up well. I'm sure that they both will know, but Spikes may not be willing to recommend any upper but theirs, I'm sure John at rainier would be able (and willing) to tell you which of the ones he sells will fit your lower. It's a little late for this, but on the chance that someone did assemble it with red locktite, did you try to heat the nut  a little with a torch when it didn't want to  loosen initially?

I was thinking that, this morning about the assembly.

post-851-136297280501_thumb.jpg