• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 SBR

Alright guys. Got a little issue. So I'm in the process of building an AR-10b SBR. I'm using a Noveske 12.5" barrel on a Armalite A4 upper. I'm trying to go for that MK18 look..........where just the muzzle device sticks out of the end of the handguard. The problem is, I need to use a AAC QD muzzle device so that I can use my suppressor on it. I tried using the Armalite AR-10 "T" style of handguard, but it's just a little too long. Meaning.....I could screw the can on, but I'd never be able to hit the release to get it back off. Looking for suggestions here fella's.

By the way.......who doesn't think that a 12" AR10 with a can on it wouldn't be bad-ass? Talk about storming the castle. HA!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I thought about doctoring the handguard too. But the vent slots of the T-style handguard run almost all of the way out to the end of it. It would have to be Butchered (modified) on the end that mates up to the reciever. And this style has the threaded lockring that attaches it the reciever. I'll try to post some pics of the build later on today.

It does look like it's gonna be a blast (pardon the pun) to shoot.

I should probably clarify here guys. I'm looking for handguard ideas for this build. At least in the 10" range or a little longer. Once again, similar to the way Noveske built thier Leonidas version, but I would like the handguard to be a little longer. I've scoured the web with no luck, and hoping that all the workbench experts here on the forum can help out.

Ron

Yep. Something in that range. The Armalite "T" FF is approximately 12". But just too damn long. That's why I figure as mrraley said, that I could probably try to cut that one down and try to clean up the threads for the lockring, but I was hoping to be able to find a shorter rail. I've reached out to Noveske, but they don't make the 10" rail that they put on their Leonidas anymore. And I can't find anybody else who makes a handguard in the 10" to 12" range. But you definitely go the idea I'm looking for.

Didn't think that the alpha rail would fit a 308 Robo. But that's the perfect length that I'd be looking for if it would fit an AR-10. That would leave just a little bit of barrel and muzzle brake hanging out of the end of it.

And.....would look totally cool with the can on it.

Gentlemen....we may have a winner.

Robo.....if you're ever lost and wind up in Maryland.......you're a welcome guest.......even though I've heard that you have to hate us guys with class 3 equipment. grin

Ok. So I said that I would throw some pics up. The length of this tube is 12.75" from the back of the lockring to the muzzle end. That .75" is what got me with this one. As you can see in the 2nd pic, the threads for the can are just inside the tube. The release for the AAC 7.62 SD would be inside the tube.........and a big pain the ass to get to.

I'm kinda liking Robo's alpha rail idea, as long as it'll fit on the 308 platform.

Oh.....and for legal purposes. This is not a functioning rifle. It has no BCG in the upper or gas system parts installed (still waiting on the tax stamp).

post-1476-136297285765_thumb.jpg

post-1476-136297285792_thumb.jpg

I'm kinda liking that Ranier rail Edge. And it's the perfect length that I'm looking for. Don't know how I ran right by it. I've been thru that site recently....must have missed it somehow (meaning stupidity). This is exactly why I threw all of this out here. I knew that between all the guys here, we'd come up with something.

As she sits, this baby is approximately 31" with the stock fully collapsed. It's weighing in just under 7 pounds with no guts in the upper. I'm looking forward to getting this one put together.

And now I'm gonna end up with a spare handguard. Oh well.....looks like I'm gonna have to plan on building yet another carbine. HA!

Troy Alpha Rail is the best option! (IMO)

First you need an AR10 barrel nut HERE

Then you need the Troy TRX-308 12" HERE

If you like the look of the FF tube overlapping the muzzle device, You can also check out the Troy TRX-308 13.8" HERE

The only issue I have with the Alpha rail is that the very front moves around a bit. We mounted one to a buddy's 10" Adams Arms Upper and he had his IR LASER mounted up front as well. I had noticed there was a little play, even when the screws at the rear that tightened the rail to the barrel nut. We noticed quickly when doing a night shoot and while engaging 250m LaRue's, the LASER shifts around enough to where you couldn't get repeatable shots. We traced it back to the rail not locking up solidly.

You could also look into precision reflex handguard. These handguards are made out of carbon fiber. I believe they can cut them to size per request. Give them a call.

I'm a huge fan of the PRI handguard. The only drawback in my opinion is not having "non-interrupted" top rail. Shawn at PRI was very helpful in allowing me to procure a 15" custom handguard for my old Armalite .308.

Now that I have a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

The best idea that I can come up with would be to go with the AR-10 NM free float railed handguard and cut the last lug and slot off.

Doing this will give you an extra 5/8” of room on the flash suppressor and not take anything away from  the looks of the handguard itself.

IMO this would be the best option because no matter what handguard you buy it is going to be the regular rifle length and cover the tail portion of the flash suppressor making it difficult to reach that locking leaver. 

<dontknow>