• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 SBR

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the ideas fella's. Appreciate it. I'll keep everyone up to date (periodically) on this build. As I said in one of my other posts, it's still gonna be a couple months before I can assemble this bad boy. I'll keep searching....but hell.....I ain't afraid to shove a rail thru a bandsaw if that's what it ends up taking. grin

• 2 months later...

It's been a couple months now. Still waiting on the ATF for the tax stamp. But since our last installment, I picked up the rail that Edge suggested (Thanks Greg). I think she looks pretty good. Pretty much what I was looking for.

And just for you junior G-men out there. I'll re-state that this is not a functioning rifle. It has no gas system or bolt carrier installed.  :thefinger:

Now.....with that disclamier outta the way............on to the most recent pics.

post-1476-136297289971_thumb.jpg

post-1476-136297289987_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

OK ladies...........update time.

I recently received my tax stamps back from the top-cops at DOJ (BATFE) for my SBR build. I started piecing together the upper yesterday . I mean, c'mon.....is it any better to assemble rifles on memorial day? Anyway.....comedy of errors. From little things like the port door rod being the long AR-10T type (instead of the standard length). Didn't find that out (because I'm stupid......and on my 10th beer.....I think) until I was torqueing down the barrel nut. Yep....and bending the rod. No worry though....just threw that one to the side. I'll straighten it later. Other than that, the only thing that tried to fight me was the barrel pin for the Noveske gas block. Once again......probably cause of that 10th beer thing. But HEY! It's Memorial day for cryin out loud.

Between that....and screwing the AAC comp on and off about 50 times (it seemed) to time it right......things came out pretty good.

I'll have pictures to follow soon. I just sent the lowers out to be engraved today. So I should get them back in a couple of weeks. Orion Arms is showing a 2 to 3 week turn around time. And then this baby can be officially assembled (all legal and everything). Once that's done.....I'll do some range time with it and report back to you all.

We're getting close to the 1 year mark since I started gathering parts and processing the paperwork for this little bad-ass machine. Needless to say.........I'm kinda excited about it. All I need parts-wise, is a heavy buffer from our beloved sponsor at heavybuffers.com and I'll be complete. That will be ordered shortly.

More to follow................................................

Edited by Rsquared

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys.......we're almost there. Yes.....it's been a looooooonng and somewhat painful road......but the time is finally upon us. I just got the UPS tracking number (Monday evening actually) letting me know that Orion Arms has shipped my 2 lowers back to me. So....the engraving is done and now we're gonna be fully compliant.

MWAAAA!  AAAHHH! AAAHHH AHHHHHHHHHH! (evil scientist laugh)

After all this time, the AR-10 SBR is gonna be ready to ROCK!

I've already assembled the upper, and it's been patiently waiting for it's loving lower to arrive back from Orion.

And..........as usual.......I gotta go back outta town tomorrow. Blowing out of town around 0200 to go back to CT for about a day and a half. That being said, that should put me back here at my place some time before the big brown truck arrives (they estimate it arriving Friday afternoon).

And THEN........all bets are off.

The lower goes onto the shorty upper........the pants come off......and then the fun begins. It's gonna  be dark ops simulations in the back yard ALL NIGHT........with a beer or two being consumed all along the way.

Updates to be coming soon.

Well boys, I got the engraved lowers back from Orion Arms today. As expected, they did good work on both of them. Subtle, but very legible.

As to be expected, I threw the AR-10 lower back together (not messing with the DD lower just yet) just so I could do an overall fit and finish check. With that being said, I've got a couple little things that I need to take care of. Such as the port door.....final headspace check (never hurts to double check).....and then final cleanup. AND THEN.......we'll be ready to take her to the club for a little range time. Probably won't happen this weekend though (cause I got too much s h i t that I need to do). But, what the hell? I've been waiting almost a year at this point. What's another week or two?

NOW! that won't stop me from running around the house or back yard tonight playing dark-ops with it. <laughs>

The big question now, is what kind of optic do I wanna put on it? Haven't really decided yet. I might put another EoTech 553 on this one, like I put on my DSA OSW. Those sights work great on SBR's. I can't see putting an ACOG on it, like I did for one of the carbines. I mean, after all......tools like these are made for storming the castle, not shooting at it from across the fields.

I'll probably take her with me when I go to my gun pusher tomorrow to show all the fella's. I gotta go to pay for the BRO 308 set that I told him I'd pay for last Monday. But the week went to s h i t. And, I like to think that he knows I'm good for it. laughing

Anyway, here's a preliminary pic after I got her together a little while ago. I'll try to put up some better ones tomorrow.

post-12568-0-97502700-1371261827_thumb.j