• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thinking About Buying A CETME

Mr B

I don`t know much about these rifles, so ive been searching and reading to try and learn about them. Is a CETME a good rifle ?. Ive read that some new CETME rifles have had problems with the bolt gap not being correct and having to replace the bolt and rollers to fix the problem. Is this a problem with these rifle, or something that only happens once in a while ?.

I was at a gun shop two weeks ago and they had a CETME on the rack for $540.00 dollars, is that a good price ?.

Any information on these rifles would be appreciated.

If you have one, lets see some pictures of it.

Cetme is a good rifle, but need to check the bolt gap to make sure it is right. Century made a bunch up that they ground the back of the bolt to get the correrct gap.  If the gun shop will let you check the gap and the bolt. google how to check the gap and check the bore.

Hk bought the rights from cetme and changed a few things, both are good rifles it is the poor mans HK.

I have a CETME, It's fun to shoot but Century did a pretty crude job with a lot of these. Mine had trouble going bang when new. After some research I learned that mine like many others had metal chips in the bolt that was preventing the firing pin from going forward enough to set off the primer. Stripped it down cleaned it and it's fine now. Re-assembly was a little confusing. Had to look it up on the internet.

Too me this is one of those guns you buy just to have because it's different. It's not very accurate and I would not bet my life on it. Magazines are cheap. PTR's are much better for sure but they arent HK's either.

I have to agree with Edge and Imschur. These are fun rifles, but not the most accurate. As far as reliability, I've got a PTR, and I pretty much just use it as a beater (being that it's just a clone, and not an HK). It's never burped, and eaten everything I've ever fed it....brass or steel cased. The only time it choked was when I tried running my can with it. It did not like that at all.  <laughs> Other than that.....bang every time.

Ron

Bought a Century for my son a few years ago. Really rough, but really cheap. The one he had required top pressure level reloads, or the equivalent, to fully move the bolt enough to pick up a new round. If you reload, you'll lose half your brass with each trip to the range. The roller lock, and fluted chamber, are hard on cases, and the ejection is fun to watch since the cases get thrown nearly as far as the bullets. With good ammo, the rifle performed perfectly, and delivered 3" to 5" at 100 yards. Far superior to the AK, and similar to the SKS. It's an ugly rifle, and crude, but proven battle worthy. 

Bought a Century for my son a few years ago. Really rough, but really cheap. The one he had required top pressure level reloads, or the equivalent, to fully move the bolt enough to pick up a new round. If you reload, you'll lose half your brass with each trip to the range. The roller lock, and fluted chamber, are hard on cases, and the ejection is fun to watch since the cases get thrown nearly as far as the bullets. With good ammo, the rifle performed perfectly, and delivered 3" to 5" at 100 yards. Far superior to the AK, and similar to the SKS. It's an ugly rifle, and crude, but proven battle worthy.

I love the looks.. <laughs>