• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ol' Planeflyer Hubbard

planeflyer21

Only things I seen on the shelves are the powders for shotgun. Now at the gun show last weekend it was reloaders heaven (everything), ammo heaven ( limit of 2000 .223) and no limit on anything else. Lowers where 250-350 rifles where 1800-3000 and mags out the ass but kinda pricey. One guy had some 308 mag puls for 150 each and I was like " I would like to kick him in his ass " but it is no longer a buyers market.

Went to the gunpowder cupboard.

DAMN!!  Those store shelves are BARE!!

What's it like in your areas?

Jon

I took two more pounds of Varget out of your local gunpowder cupboard just yesterday... 

I'm just sayin'...  <dontknow> <lmao> <laughs>

I took two more pounds of Varget out of your local gunpowder cupboard just yesterday... 

I'm just sayin'...  <dontknow> <lmao> <laughs>

I'm surprised they had it!

Surely you saw the "No more than 2 boxes/cans/containers of _________ per customer"?

Last time around (2008-2010) Sportsman's started late on that rationing.  One person came in and bought a pallet of .223, nearly causing a riot.

Jon

Iv'e got more power than I need right now for the amount of bullets I have, at least in .308.

Roughly 1000 .30 cal pills. If I had 2000 pills I'd kinda be keeping an eye out for it more.

I did buy 1lb of 4064 at bass pro a few weeks ago, fkg over $29.00. They had 3 or 4. They had 3 lbs of Varget but I have 2.5lbs already. They had 2lbs RL15. No CFE223. They had several others you might use. Sort of wish I'd bought more than I did but.....

They had 1 box 178 Amax left so I gabbed it. No .30 cal SMK's. No 168 AMAX and I would have bought those out for sure if they had. The Nosler, Barnes, etcetera's, are just too expensive, I want my AMAX.

Primers forget about it except they had 5 flats of CCI small rifle primers that my bro bought. That shelf was stripped.

What I need most is bullets & primers, then powder.

I walked into a old shop today and they had an old reload area. This place gets over looked for gun related stuff because they are know for fishing stuff. Got to looking and noticed some older winchester white box primers and the guy said he can sell them cause they are to old. I looked at him like Waht,,,, then I say well you want to give them away, he said sure grab them. That was an easy 1000 large rifle primers to get.

Going back up to sportsmans tommarow to see what they may have.

Hardly anything left where I am at. I bought a few pounds of Little Gun when I saw it for 300 BLK also some H110 so I can compare. Other than that hardly anything. Really sporadic on primers and bullets. Brass is non existent.

I was able to get a 8lb jug of IMR 4895 from a friend for the 308 so should be set there. Also scored 5K of Winchester large rifle from him. All was ordered from Powder Valley on a big buy a few weeks ago. Of course they have nothing now.

As for the out of date primers that were mentioned above my friend showed me a package of primers he got years ago from a deceased relative. Package was 1K large rifle primers with a price tag of .79 cents on it :o 

• 3 weeks later...

Its been slim pickins' in the east valley in january but this month my LGS's have been getting some orders in every week. Rationing mag, primers and ammo. Daily limits at 2 of the stores.

I scored a 1000 small pistols primers last week. I was forced into buying and using small rifle/pistol magmum primers . They are great for subsonic loads.  Also had to use different powder( autocomp and win 780 supreme ). The bullets are what is becoming scare now. Everybody keep supporting your LGS FIND OUT what day their orders come in and swoop up the stuff when its hot or you will be left with scraps or nothing at all.

Had a gun show this weekend and managed to pick up 2000 no.34 CCI primers took the last 2 boxes of CCI large rifle primers in the entire building. There was plenty of winchester, Federal and Tula primers left but they were going quick. The guy that had the reloading booth had plenty of powder too but prices were a little to steep for me, an 8lb jug of CFE 223 was listed at $190.00 :cookoo: He can keep it at that price. He also had 147gr pull downs for $22.00 per 100  :cookoo: at the show before this one I picked up 500 147gr pull downs for $62.50.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't find the individual stuff right now, outside of some of the stuff in here:

Reprinted with permission from NFPA495-85, Standard for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage and Use of Explosive Materials, © 1985, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA 02269. This reprinted material is not the complete and official position of the NFPA on the referenced subject, which is represented by the Standard in its entirety.

10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS.

10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle.

10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.

10-3.4 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants in quantities not exceeding 100 lb. (45.4kg) are classified for transportation purposes as flammable solids when packaged according to U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations. (Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Park 173.197a), and shall be transported accordingly.

10-3.5 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) or not packaged in accordance with the regulations cited in 10-3.4 shall be transported according to the U. S. Department of Transportation regulations for Class B propellant explosives.

10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.8 Not more than 20 lb (9.1 kg) of smokeless propellants, in containers of 1-lb (0.45-kg) maximum capacity, shall be displayed in commercial establishments.

10-3.9 Commercial stocks of smokeless propellants should be stored as follows:
(a) Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), shall be stored in portable wooden boxes having walls of at least 1-in (25.4-mm) thickness.
(b) Quantities exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), but not exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), shall be stored in non portable storage cabinets having walls of at least 1-in (25.4-mm) thickness. Not more than 400 lb (181 kg) may be stored in any one cabinet and cabinets shall be separated by a distance of at least 25 ft (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.
© Quantities exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), but not exceeding 5,000 lb (2268 kg), may be stored in a building if the following requirements are met:

1. The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.
  2. Smokeless propellant shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having wood walls at least 1 inc. (25.4 mm) thick and having shelves with no more than 3 ft (0.92 m) separation between shelves.
  3. No more than 400 lb (181 kg) shall be stored in any one cabinet.
  4. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the storage room or warehouse with at least 40 ft (12.2 m) between cabinets.
  5. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 250 ft (6.1m) if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least 10 ft (3m) outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of 1/4-inc. (6.4-mm) boiler plate, 2-in. (51-mm) thick wood, brick, or concrete block.
  6. Smokeless propellant shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 ft (7.63mm) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.
  7. The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed accordingly to NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.

(d) Smokeless propellants not stored according to (a), (b) and © above shall be stored in a Type 4 magazine constructed and located according to Chapter 6.

Ruling 10-3-7.   I'v got my powder stored in an old refrigerator.  got it "certified" by one of the local fire people. ( its  GOOD to know people, LOL!!!!!)   As far as transporting, not many people really know the regs.

It was a LOT different, 25 years ago, in Calif!!!!   There you needed a "powder liscense" for more than 10# of powder.Caused me some REAL problems, personally.

But, thats another story.LOL!!

Terry