• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 Charging Handle

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chagrinning handle on AR's , the way Stoner made them, is truly Ambidextrous. That's why its in the center line of the rifle.

I just got another TacOps 1 308 charging handle, the other day. Its  for my 16", a little stiff at first, a little work out & it works real nice under the Nikon.

I don't know what y'all call a left hand charging handle, but this is a true left hand charging handle.   I have a stroke and my left hand is useless so I use a left handed charging handle.  I grip it with my right hand like you would a M14.  So shut the fxxk up about ambi's, I cannot use one   I  cannot gripe the regular charging handle anymore.   My left hand is dead period.

post-14191-0-92468900-1399691611_thumb.j

Edited by Wolfgang1952

Wolfgang, sorry to hear about the stroke. I've watched family members struggle after a stroke and I recognize the hardship you endure daily.

The badger CH you posted is a standard handle with a right-side extended latch. It's a common modification. The problem with using just the latch, especially on the .308, is the torque you're putting on small parts when in use.

A lot of the designated ambi charging handles have remedied this by slightly modifying the design, and beefing up small parts like roll pins.

The Badger handles will work fine for a long time. Badger is one of the original (if not THE original) extended charging handle mfgr's. If you use care and caution, you'll get years of service from their parts.

If you have tendencies to play hard and reckless, like some of us are prone to do, then you might want one of the newer models. FWIW, the TacOps-1 is gripped on the right side similar to a bolt action rifle. Using your thumb and index finger, you grab the right side, using the ergonomic cut of the handle, and depressing a thumb lever. It's actually a very comfortable process.

The handle in the photo is an ambidextrous  handle , the release latch on all std . M16/15 /308AR's is on the left side of the handle , looking at it from the stock or shouldered . And they are all ambidextrous as far as which hand you grab it & cycle it , its just what finger or fingers you use to operate the release with.

If you use your right hand , its your right hand trigger finger that operates it . If you use your left hand , its usually your middle finger on the left hand that operates it. The left or right hand releasing are just about opposite , right hand - index finger ( releases latch ) & middle finger , left hand _ middle finger( releases latch )  & index finger .

Its the way it was designed . If you have a large scope that extends over it , some thing larger is needed .

Now the TacOps 1, you can use the index finger & thumb of ether hand to release the latch & operate the charging handle , using your left hand or right hand. The left hand pulls in the latch on the left side of the rifle & the right hand , your thumb pushes or pinches the lever toward the handle to release the latch .

Here is the TacOps 308 next to a DPMS 308 handle ( with Badger latch )

post-11255-0-56307500-1399750169_thumb.j

This is a photo of the DPMS std Charging handle on top of the TacOps 1

post-11255-0-86125000-1399750264_thumb.j

This photo shows the side load wear from using The DPMS std charging handle & not being able to grap on to anything but the Badger latch because of a large scope , the other side shows almost no markings at all.

post-11255-0-42155900-1399750437_thumb.j

I think the TacOps 1 will help you a bunch.

Edited by survivalshop