• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Opinions on my SBR build

Rsquared

So.......as some of you guys know, I've been waiting on my Form 1 for my 300 BLK SBR build. I've been slowly gathering parts as I wait on the feds (Sent Form 1 to feds in October). I originally wanted to get one of those AAC uppers  with the 9" barrel. I liked the look and design of the Knights rail that AAC was using, and I figured....Ehhh....no hurry. Then.....the jerk-off in CT showed up (no...not Drew) at Newtown. And the rest is history.......we all know what happened to parts and ammo since then. We all watched as all the parts and ammo rode off into the sunset.......leaving many of us behind to fend for ourselves. Talk about a day late and a dollar short.........as usual.

Anyway.....I digress. So I, like many of us on this board, have been slowly and patiently buying parts as they emerge (at a decent price). A lower here....an upper there....the occasional LPK (or 3). And mags.....talk about something that took on the resemblance of refrigerant (Freon to you guys not in the HVAC/Mechanical know).......those things simply evaporated. But.....they would occassionally pop up at a (once again) fair price. As long as you (all of us) were patient.

Yeah....yeah......I know I'm being kinda long-winded, but I'm gettin to it! It's my story after all! <laughs>

So I've got the DD M4 lower (w/DD LPK, Bad-Ass Levers, Raptor CH and Magpul CTR)...the Aero Precision upper...an SI Defense BCG.....and a AAC brakeout comp waiting for a barrel. The barrel........I just ordered that last week from Midway. A Noveske 10" stainless that I stumbled across. That thing should be here Monday or Tuesday I think. And so, that leads me up to the opinion that I'm interested on gettin outta you jokers.

I know, I know........some of you are saying that it's a about damn time!

So, the question of handguards. Now keep in mind, you animals, that I gotta be able to get to the QD release on the can. So it can't be buried inside of the handguard. Though that would look very cool. So I've been poking around and I've got it down to a couple of ideas. Though I always keep an open mind.......just in case one of you degenerates happens to come up with a great find (it's been known to happen).

So I'm thinking one of these:

http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/rails-handguards/noveske-nsr-rail-9-fde.html

or one of these:

http://pkfirearms.com/Geissele_Handguards/266/c

or maybe one of these:

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4_48&products_id=90

And as usual....you'll notice that, for some reason, the things that I pick out always end up being F-ing expensive (not on the YHM as much). Dammit.....why can't I like CMMG? <laughs>

****NOTE : No offense to any of my brethren that currently use/own/are-a-fan-of aforementioned manufacture.

So.......lemme here any opinions or ideas that any of you yahoo's may have.

#1 Fuk yea                                                                                                                                                                                    #2 Hell yea                                                                                                                                                                                   #3 Not so much OOS anyway, how's that brother.I'm here for yea. <thumbsup>  <dontknow>  >:D

Edited by unforgiven

Yeah, I know that the YHM is outta stock. Just like the look. Big fan of the Geissele though. Kinda leaning towards that one. Just that it's 9.5". So I gotta wait until I can test fit the barrel and take a measurement. Already jumped the gun (so to speak) once with the AR-10 SBR handguard. As you know, ended up getting another handguard for that one (courtesy of Edge's eagle eyes)......and now I'm stuck with having to build another AR-10 to use up the first handguard. Damn.....such a high-quality problem as they say.

As I said though......I'm always open to suggestions.

Keep em coming fella's.

Geissele rails are made extremely well but tend to be on the heavier side.

I've owned a Geissele 10" MKI, 15" MK II, and various lengths of the NSR.

The Geissele's are made extremely well but feel like you could beat someone to death with it. I personally recommend them for a DMR setup. On the other hand, the NSR's are extremely light and feel almost too light that they feel fragile. I'd recommend the NSR for a run and gun, 3gun setup.

The Geissele's are made extremely well but feel like you could beat someone to death with it.

Yep.  I wouldn't hesitate to beat someone to death with my Geissele 13" MKII rail.  No hesitation. 

That thing is SOLID.

DAGGER! Screwed the brakeout comp onto the barrel....followed by the can. Dammit....can't fit the geissele rail on. I was really liking that one. Not enough real estate between the reciever and the can. Oh well. There'e always other builds. I like the Knights rail that AAC used in thier upper that they put out. But that one's too short. I'm going for the "just the muzzle device" out the end of the handguard (MK18) look. I'm thinking that I might go with the YHM. Found it in stock at Midway. As you all can see. I've got just a smidge over 9 inches to work with. OK......OK everybody get it outta your system. Let the jokes start flooding in.

Jesus........it's like a buncha 5th graders around here.

post-12568-0-62605200-1368138838_thumb.j

I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty complete. I've mentioned in other posts that I'm interested in doing a similar build but wonder if I should go with a pistol configuration instead to avoid the ATF form. Does anyone have a bit of time behind a pistol ar build in 300 blk? I've never fired one so I don't know how that would feel again a cheek.

I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty complete. I've mentioned in other posts that I'm interested in doing a similar build but wonder if I should go with a pistol configuration instead to avoid the ATF form. Does anyone have a bit of time behind a pistol ar build in 300 blk? I've never fired one so I don't know how that would feel again a cheek.

No pistola's in our state brother, you'd have to arrest yourself! 

A co-worker has a diagram type reference paper for his personal use that uses a brilliant diagram system on if you have this and this then you can't have that type of premise...there are so many gun laws in MA that you need an encyclopedia set with you. Many of us have to take a lot of extra time after a felony charge is confirmed to ensure the other firearms related charges apply or not. It's ridiculous.

A co-worker has a diagram type reference paper for his personal use that uses a brilliant diagram system on if you have this and this then you can't have that type of premise...there are so many gun laws in MA that you need an encyclopedia set with you. Many of us have to take a lot of extra time after a felony charge is confirmed to ensure the other firearms related charges apply or not. It's ridiculous.

Thank goodness for my wife! If she didn't work for the Superior Court, I'd need one too!

jrt, you can go through with the SBR, with a LEO exemption.  <thumbsup>

Ya. A friend and coworker of mine has a (if I remember correctly)12 inch limited edition AR-15. He has $4,500 into it. Damn thing is decked out with so many lazer engravings, there's no mistaking what agency it originated from. The rifle looks like it's ready to run missions in Afghanistan.