• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Want to paint f.f. forend to match magpul o.d.green stock

I want to try to match my forend to my magpul grip and P.R.S. both are O.D. green, I see that Duracoat offers a "magpul O.D.", has anyone here used it? I am curious about how well it matches magpuls color. Should I use flat clear over whatever color I end up using? I would think that using clear over it would make it more durable.

I have used their "shake and spray" kit in Magpul fde, and its a perfect match. Also, no need for clear topcoat, kit comes with a hardening agent to mix in.

me too (on the FDE). mine was the non-baking style spray. The clear topcoat won't enhance durability, but will remove any shinyness you get if you use a matte clear

I hate to be a ball buster ... BUT ... This is about four builds out. I have to finish the #24 Jeff Gordon upper and paint the gun we shot last Wednesday. Then !0mm ar , 300aac ar ,223 ar before I can do the 01 general Lee build .

That gun is sweet ! It will be nice in the lr 308 format.

• 2 weeks later...

The duracoat showed up yesterday but it is a solid, knurled type free float and I am going to put it in the mill and use my super spacer to put in a pattern of slots and holes to shed a little weight. I will have to measure but the barrel is very heavy (dia.) under the handguard, heavier than it needs to be I think, do any of the barrel manufacturers list their barrel profiles on the net. If it is way bigger then I may turn it down a bit but would not go down to the minimum for safety reasons.

The duracoat showed up yesterday but it is a solid, knurled type free float and I am going to put it in the mill and use my super spacer to put in a pattern of slots and holes to shed a little weight. I will have to measure but the barrel is very heavy (dia.) under the handguard, heavier than it needs to be I think, do any of the barrel manufacturers list their barrel profiles on the net. If it is way bigger then I may turn it down a bit but would not go down to the minimum for safety reasons.

When you say very heavy , do you mean the diameter is over 1.2" ... because that is the diameter of a lot of barrel blanks.

Also you can get the barrel re-profiled.

I will pull the forend and measure, I can reprofile if I know what diameters are safe, I have 15 years machining and personal lathes up to 21x120, but this will probably go in a cnc so I don't have to mess with the tapers. As long as I don't go too small will it hurt anything? I know from experience that steel parts can "move" when a lot of material is removed.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Wcouls74 said:

Magpul od green match..Duracoat tactical od green..In spray can...absolutely perfect...it in there tactical colors section...flat colors

Welcome to the forum.  Head to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. 

Thanks for the info but this thread is almost 6 years old.