• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Open Carry Pros & Cons.

BLKSHEEP

Hey, you guys are jumping the gun here.  Magwa hunts all kinds of things.  And he is successful.  Very successful.

I, on the other hand, get hunted by things.  I also am successful -   With pain.  I can endure a schitload of pain. 

I will beat the animal kingdom into submission, one way or another...   <thumbsup>

In reference to the topic, I Open Carry and CC - point is, I almost always carry.  Nowhere prohibited, hence the "almost."

There are times for both, when they have their purpose, but I conceal more than open.  I'm not worried about OC and someone taking my pistol.  What Jon said rings true - Train, Train, Train.  That's more than firearms training, but it needs to be religious with the firearms, if you carry them.  If you open carry, you may need more than just firearms training, depending on your area.  I've been involved in martial arts since I was a young teenager, combined with some tricky military-sourced and private-funded sourced combatives since 1990.  I think about someone trying to get my gun everytime I'm out - size up every single person you encounter, everytime you encounter someone.  However, I'm not too worried about someone getting my gun, anytime I'm out. 

You guys are a riot..... LMAO NOT a Falcon but a Goshawk the baddest Mofo with wings if it fly's she can catch it if it runs It's done.... and I am with our leader Tom I am not worried about someone getting my gun from me, I too size up everyone and my head is on a swivel.. always been that way since I got mugged in Boston in 1969 right out of boot.....

sageandbunniesjpeg_zps7337a49f.jpgMikewithBigfoot.jpg

Edited by Magwa

That part is funny it is correct that I am a Falconer I just hunt with Hawks Instead of falcons and neither one will go after people it is all about weight control if they are in shape they will fly game hard and come back but if they are fat they may well fly up in a tree and stare at you for 24 hours or just fly away never to be seen again ....

The most prevalent attitude we see with those choosing to CCW is "I have a gun!  Rock-paper-scissors-GUN-GUN-GUN!!!"

But they don't carry a rock, nor scissors, nor paper.  They live by the motto "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight," obivious to a few things...like a higher percentage of people DIE from knife wounds than gunshots, that a firearm is dangerous in the direction it is pointed when fired, that those 15 projectiles they fire which miss hit something else...for which they are criminally and civilly liable.

They have a toolbox with one tool.  When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

My favorite example to give in CCW classes is this:  you're shopping at 8pm on Christmas Eve and in the parking lot at Walmart, when out of the 100 people in the parking lot, one pulls a knife on you and demands your car keys.  You are responsible for every round fired, where it hits, who it hits, what it hits.

If you're at the Walmart on Valencia and Mission, the knifeman is probably related to half the people in the parking lot.

What do you do?

I open carry in my small town in NE North Carolina, mostly on Fridays when I do payroll, which is mostly in cash. Although, I did clear it with our Police Chief and explained why (it's a *very* small town). He said as long as my shirt doesn't conceal the handgun in any way, I'd be fine. I also notice the owner of the coin laundromat always carries when he collects from the washers. 

I open carry in my small town in NE North Carolina, mostly on Fridays when I do payroll, which is mostly in cash. Although, I did clear it with our Police Chief and explained why (it's a *very* small town). He said as long as my shirt doesn't conceal the handgun in any way, I'd be fine. I also notice the owner of the coin laundromat always carries when he collects from the washers.

Not a bad idea since doing those types of things automatically make a person a more likely target. I'd be carrying few extra mags too.

Disorderly Conduct and Careless Driving are the most vague and abused charges used bu LEO's! When I went to the academy an instructor warned us that careless driving was the most abused ordinance in the New Mexico Uniform Traffic Code and if continued to be abused we would eventually lose the use of it. In 20 years as a shift supervisor I taught my officers that at LEAST 9 out of 10 times they wrote a careless driving ticket I could find a specific statute that would cover the offense they wrote the Careless ticket for, and that using Careless driving was a good indication that they were too lazy to become familiar with the traffic code!

That being said, I also regard Disorderly Conduct as a catch-all charge that is abused. As far as I'm concerned, the use of Disorderly Conduct to charge someone carrying a rifle in an open carry state is CHICKEN SCHIT! If any LEO's here take offense to what I just said then maybe you need to go back and read the Second Amendment and recall the oath you took when you pinned that badge on. If a person is disorderly that is one thing, but charging someone who is not being disorderly just because someone else complained about them exercising their constitutional rights is just plain wrong and as far as I'm concerned that officer has tarnished the badge. There are pros and cons to open carry but every law abiding citizen in an open carry state should have the right to weigh those for himself and NOT have to worry about some badge heavy cop with the attitude that he is THE LAW and has the last say determine if they can exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution and their state laws.

Edited by 392heminut